Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

Trying to attach the armrest vent to my new TMI door card. As with most parts, at 1st glance, everything looks good.

Holes punched all around, I am good.... NOT.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The green arrow is the ONLY hole that matches, size-wise, and will accept the HAT. That hole is for the pad on the armrest. For the Armrest vent, there are larger holes, and the OEM card has them as oval shape for adjustment. There is a small "hat" washer that slips into the OEM doorcard, gold boxes. This recesses the screw head below the back side of the panel.

Smaller holes in the new TMI card make these little HATS useless.

So who has dealt with this before? What did you do? Any suggestions here?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

Make sure you ordered the correct part number and that you got it. Then lay the old one on top of the new one, make sure the outside matches, then mark the holes with a pen and enlarge. Or buy masonite, make your own cards, take to a automotive upholstery shop and have them covered.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

pretty much past all that.....

The request is to determine a method someone might have used to attach the deluxe armrest to a new TMI door card, with improper hole sizes.

Making the freaking holes bigger, is certainly a thought i had. The HATS would fit, but making holes oval shaped to allow for some adjustment and NOT tearing the vinyl is a bit tuffer.

Another idea I had, and it is certainly a "2-way door idea". Meaning it won't destroy or mangle the card and I can try something else if it does not work. That would be to use counter sunk screws and a flat washer.

The flat washer will allow for some play to help line-up all the attachment points of the armrest. The counter sunk screw will do just that, sink itself closer to the back side of the card, if that is important.

I think I will try that first, since it is easy to try something else.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

The holes are oval to allow for expansion/contraction of the plastic duct as well, I'd explore enlarging them with a rotary file in a dremel. Use a vacuum so the grindings don't get down in between the vinyl and hardboard or there'll be lumps after you are done.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

smaller hat washers with smaller screw heads?
elevator bolt with allen head?
sidewalk bolts? yup. these.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

i used the same panels in my bus. used all the hats too. really don't remember any issues

you need all of the hats otherwise you'll break that vent the minute you lean on it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Door Card Vent for Deluxe..... ideas to attach? Reply with quote

Drivers side is done. Used #12 counter sunk screws and finishing washers for most connection points. OEM were 3/4" long, but needed more length to find the captive nut on the armrest. The short ones just did not reach a nut that is not lined up.

I was a bit worried about the finishing washers leaving the head proud, but i still have the drivers door off so i laid the panel on the door. Most of the finish washers have a place to go, except the 2 at the very front of the door.

So I found a plug bit and spun it by hand and was able to get the HATS in at that spot.

It was very easy to cut by hand with that drill bit. So I am thinking maybe I will try to use the hats. Missing one of them tho.

Not sure about the expansion comment, but the extra support comment does make some sense. I don't really remember putting a lot of weight on the armrest while driving tho.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: