Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding an 091 transaxle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise - I have the bently and have the jig and tools I have made to do big pinion and small pinion nut , so I will crack on, unfortunally good transmission builders are not as plentiful here in New Zealand as the States. Just wanted to clarify the measuring method as was not tookeen to do the torque method to set preload on the diff bearings.Just hoping pinion depth does not change with the new pinion bearing.What would O do with my time without these old dubs to work on😁
Regards Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

just remember that you are setting preload on one side only. If you set it on both then the preload would be double what you want.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Keep in mind that as you move the one on the ring gear side it may change lash, so you have to check that and fine tune it. You are ONLY loading the ONE side that should not change lash - that is the ring gear side (S1). If you change S2 (the pinion side) then you will pull or push the ring gear away from the pinion gear and that will change lash.

This confused me, so I am going to try to clarify, please correct as necessary:

(S1) adjusting ring on driver's side next to clutch cable/bowden tube
"ring gear side"
(S2) adjusting ring on passenger side adjacent to starter
"pinion side"

You wrote:
If you change S2 (the pinion side) then you will pull or push the ring gear away from the pinion gear and that will change lash.

Any movement of either adjusting ring will change backlash.

I see the need while fine-tuning lash to move both rings equally in opposite directions to maintain your pre-established preload.
ColinInItRightNow
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Both are kind of correct. lets take this from the top. the S-2 S-3 refrence is just a way of keeping track of your pinion and diff bearings shims when setting up a ring and pinion.

But 002 and 091 do not use shims in the s-1 s-2 locations because of the threaded collars. but on the old swing axle and IRS bug transaxles it was like this.

S-1 pinion shim. Sets pinion depth.

S-2 Differental shim ring gear side of differental. Sets differental bearing preload and ring gear backlash

S-3 Differental shim NON ring gear side of differental. Also sets differental bearing preload and ring gear backlash.

So the use of S-2 and S-3 in the case of 002 and 091 gear boxes is still a refrence for diff bearing preload and ring gear backlash. It just no longer requires shims to acheave the same result.

002 and 091 diff bearing preload is established prior to installation of the pinion shaft and gear sets. then removed before finnal assembly.
when doing finnal assembly and setting backlash both threaded collars are most times required to be moved to set the ring gear backlash and maintain the aspect ratio of the diff bearing preload.

Sometimes though, you get lucky and only need to mess with one threaded collar to get the desired results, Wink

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Colin - what Sodbuster said. What I meant was if you set the preload 1/x " on one side, that is the total preload. It is not 1/x" of side one, and then again 1/x" on side two. Also, don't try to set the preload using the torque method. It doesn't work. I think the VW manual is kind of a misprint - I believe the published drag they give is for the whole gear train and pinion not just the differential drag. Rick Long said to me only to use the 1/x" thing given in his CD and not the torque thing. But with cotton in my ears I used the torque thing to set preload, and could never come close to that preload without over stressing the case.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
I like those equal spaced pin bearing better then the 2 N 2 type. Also those are the long pins they will give better load spread. Say Steve did you look over that main shaft good? I think I can see some pin bearing ware from here Shocked ----------------then again maybe Iam just seeing things Laughing

I am curious about why VW chose that double-needle set-up, and am guessing that it helps prevent brinneling ... like dual rear tires help reduce unit pressure on the road.
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Colin - what Sodbuster said. What I meant was if you set the preload 1/x " on one side, that is the total preload. It is not 1/x" of side one, and then again 1/x" on side two. Also, don't try to set the preload using the torque method. It doesn't work. I think the VW manual is kind of a misprint - I believe the published drag they give is for the whole gear train and pinion not just the differential drag. Rick Long said to me only to use the 1/x" thing given in his CD and not the torque thing. But with cotton in my ears I used the torque thing to set preload, and could never come close to that preload without over stressing the case.

I have been lucky with the NaranjaWesty 091 transaxle, everything is amazingly fresh for 146,000 miles. The 3/4 shift fork on the 091 looks barely touched ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Though I have a phone call on-deck with SGKent, I did this insane methodology for bearing preload. Adjusting rings are barely 2mm (1mm ea) further in than initial marks to hit 6 in-lbs preload.

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I have been lucky with the NaranjaWesty 091 transaxle, everything is amazingly fresh for 146,000 miles. The 3/4 shift fork on the 091 looks barely touched ...

Though I have a phone call on-deck with SGKent, I did this insane methodology for bearing preload. Adjusting rings are barely 2mm (1mm ea) further in than initial marks to hit 6 in-lbs preload.

Is this for used differental bearings? if so I think the spec is 10 inch pounds. new bearings require a preload of 30 inch pounds.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

I could not get mine to 30 inch pounds period. Is this reading the pinion resistance too?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:

Amskeptic wrote:
Adjusting rings are barely 2mm (1mm ea) further in than initial marks to hit 6 in-lbs preload.

Is this for used differental bearings? if so I think the spec is 10 inch pounds. new bearings require a preload of 30 inch pounds.

Rick Long suggests 2-6 in-lbs for used bearings. I went for the 6 end of the range. Adjusting rings are about 1 mm further towards tight than my initial index marks. With the inside of the case being as clean as it was, I figured that these parts have not been getting mauled by dirty oil and metal fragments ...
This is what the internals looked like at first disassembly ...

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I could not get mine to 30 inch pounds period. Is this reading the pinion resistance too?

No just diff bearings only. The 30 inch pound spec is for brand new bearings only. the preload actually diminishes slightly as the new bearing wears in with the first 30 miles of so. That is why the preload spec for used bearings is much less.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

That 3/4 shift fork photographed above for Chloe's 002 apparently is not available.

I had it welded up and milled to "close-to-correct", then sanded it down to a final clearance of .016" at each pad. I undercut around the pads by a couple thousandths with a dremel to allow oil to get in between. I figured Volkswagen determined the surface area of contact to hit the sweet spot between friction/heat and adequate lubrication for the expected work load.

As SGKent has alluded to, the stress/anxiety of pressing all these precise parts into a magnesium box never to see again until you drive it, not as fun as I thought.
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
SGKent wrote:

No just diff bearings only. The 30 inch pound spec is for brand new bearings only. the preload actually diminishes slightly as the new bearing wears in with the first 30 miles of so. That is why the preload spec for used bearings is much less.

wet or dry it was impossible for me to get anywhere near that starting or rolling torque with new bearings. They would not offer anywhere near that resistance. I think they were SKF bearings I got from weddle. I had the correct inch pound torque wrench too.

I warned you Colin of what lay ahead of you. Yes, it is a real pain to go thru each step and not know whether you have done something wrong putting it back together. The only thing that I can tell you is what Rick Long told me, "Steve, VW engineers engineered a lot of tolerance into the system because they were a high volume manufacturer. Don't worry as much about the tolerances as you are."

Funny thing is that the last conversation I had with him I learned:

1) he had just rebuilt and installed a Fiat 124 Spider 5-speed transmission for a friend the day before, and it was a PITA for him. I used to work on them all the time with no issues.

2) he spent almost 1/2 day trying to drop the gear cluster and pinion in on the last one he did because Donny got the pinion race so tight and it had that piece on it. It took Cathy and I maybe one minute using that old pinion bearing and sharpie method I told you about.

So then I didn't feel so bad.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
sodbuster wrote:
SGKent wrote:

wet or dry it was impossible for me to get anywhere near that starting or rolling torque with new bearings. They would not offer anywhere near that resistance. I think they were SKF bearings I got from weddle. I had the correct inch pound torque wrench too.

I warned you Colin of what lay ahead of you. Yes, it is a real pain to go thru each step and not know whether you have done something wrong putting it back together. The only thing that I can tell you is what Rick Long told me, "Steve, VW engineers engineered a lot of tolerance into the system because they were a high volume manufacturer. Don't worry as much about the tolerances as you are."

Funny thing is that the last conversation I had with him I learned:

1) he had just rebuilt and installed a Fiat 124 Spider 5-speed transmission for a friend the day before, and it was a PITA for him. I used to work on them all the time with no issues.

2) he spent almost 1/2 day trying to drop the gear cluster and pinion in on the last one he did because Donny got the pinion race so tight and it had that piece on it. It took Cathy and I maybe one minute using that old pinion bearing and sharpie method I told you about.

So then I didn't feel so bad.

Well, give us credit for forging ahead with our very first transaxle rebuilds. It makes us more careful even if the cost is nervousness.

I remember you were nervous about reverse, slop in the linkage. I came up with a solution that reduced the movement of reverse slider gear.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Colin - kudos to you for trying. We all read that Bentley chapter for years and said let's give it a try. Kudos to guys like Paul (Gears) and Sodbuster, Mike (BigBore) who actually do this in their sleep. Laughing
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

I managed to get ahold of that fancy red wierd cm/kp whatever-it-is mysto turning torque wrench they show in the Bentley, plus a small standard torque wrench, and also that same calc with hanging weights.

In the end, none of these would produce good results.
They will give you a feel for what the numbers are supposed to be like,
But in the end your experience and intuition will have to come into play and some common sense applied.
There’s just too much variation in bearings and all now to use measurements.

Had one i took to Scott at Metalcraft Motorsports in Sanger, clean and assembled for him to feel the turning (he has done hundreds).
It was what i felt was right on the borderline of too tight..
I hemmed and hawed and tried different settings until getting it there.
When i brought it to Scott he did ruminated for quite a while before deciding i was OK, but right at the edge.
Felt really really good to learn my sense of feel was ballpark or better.

So do your measurements but don’t take them as gospel. They aren’t.
Even a beginner will have to do it by feel.

Bentley is wrong.
There. I said it. Hope I don’t get eternally damned for my heresy. Anxious

What’s That Noise?!?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Bentley is wrong.
There. I said it. Hope I don’t get eternally damned for my heresy. Anxious

They give one sentence for installing the gear set into the case.
"Install gears into case."

I will be eternally damned if this LocTite 609 sets up in the warmed case bore while I am fiddling around with reverse gear and shift fork and mainshaft into needle bearing and I even heard that you have to start the pinion nut before the bearing gets too far through or reverse gear gets in the way? Seriously?
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

In the end, none of these would produce good results.
But in the end your experience and intuition will have to come into play and some common sense applied.

I am that way with steering boxes. I know what feels right at center.
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

torque the pinion nut before you spin things or they will rub.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding an 091 transaxle Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
torque the pinion nut before you spin things or they will rub.

??

NO 1/29/22
I am now pretty sure, SGKent, that Rick Long did mean 26-30 new/2-6 used inch-lbs numbers for differential carrier bearings were with an assembled transaxle. You see it in his pictures, the input shaft sticking up, the intermediate housing with a nice new gasket in all of the photos with his dial indicators.

So that leaves me in an interesting situation, because my neutral has drag with new synchros, bearings, and reasonably tight tolerances. IF I were to use the torque method, my carrier bearing preload would be really close to "0".

I guess I am following everybody to Zero Play + 3/8" Turn on adjusting rings.
My nagging question is that the VW 381 bridge is showing very little case loading at 3/8 turn from zero.

When checking initial build, the bridge was firmly stuck at factory preload + 146.000 miles at .009" backlash. I had to reverse 1/4 turn each ring to release bridge.

??
Colin

Last edited by Amskeptic on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: