Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop-out Windows?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

Looking at ads and anticipating ownership, I wonder how expensive and how difficult it would be to swap out fixed rear side windows for pop-outs. It's something I would definitely want here in Florida. Are there new replica products made or would I have to find a set of originals?

Another desire is for the double rail style (don't know what you call them) bumpers. I know I've seen new ones out there for purchase. These two items figure strongly in my hunt for my VW, which has to be blue, light green or white, with white interior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Renowood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy. I'd watch Craigslist for a set. Ive seen them there for $60. Make sure you get the correct size for your year. I think all the old bugs are pre drilled for popouts. The repros are available at a few places, WW for one. Not sure about the quality and fit of the repros though.

Mine came from the factory with them but were removed by the PO for the Cal-look. It took about 1 hour to reinstall them.
boatswain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest and best thing you can do to your beetle! I did it in about 30 minutes. As said before, make sure you get the right model year pop-outs for your car. Between the pop-outs and the mounting hardware (90% of time you WILL have to replace the rubber seal, takes time to put in, about 30 min a window but very easy) I spent about $120. Got the pop-outs used on The Samba and got the moutning wardware from WolfsburgWest. I will PM you instructions I got from a member on The Samba this evening.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a set in my '63 and just had to drill the hinge screws and the catch holes. Very easy. I believe after '64 or '65 they went to a different size (a little bigger and cheaper in price, too), so make sure you get the right size. The pop out rubber seals should fit all years, though.

As for the "double rail" bumpers, do you mean the stock bumpers with the overriders? (The front have a long approx 3/4" diameter bar that runs almost the length of the bumper, I think they call this a "towel bar"? and the rear has 2 sets of shorter bars on either side of the decklid above the bumper on pre-'68 bugs?)
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli

Last edited by sportin-wood on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pantone149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point VW drilled holes for any bug to get pop-outs. My 65 came iwth the holes already. Shop the samba or go to swap meets to find the pop outs. You will probably need new rubber and other small bits of hardware to finish the installation, but it's easy as long and the holes are pre-drilled. What model year is the car?
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boatswain wrote:
I will PM you instructions I got from a member on The Samba this evening.

can you share them this way or post it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCdad wrote:
boatswain wrote:
I will PM you instructions I got from a member on The Samba this evening.

can you share them this way or post it?

Here, this may help. This is the best install thread I have seen to date.
The popout install starts about half way down.

Check it out.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...;start=320
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onetuza= I believe you are looking for a US style deluxe with correct bumpers (towel bars, taller guards etc.) Those are easy to obtain.

1965 changed to the bigger more heinous windows...which popouts are far more plentiful on, here in the states. You can find used ones dirt cheap. I have a set from my old '67 that I have not been able to even give away! For the 1964 and older popouts, they are more expensive and harder to find by a long shot. Most 64 and older bugs I have seen, don't have them. It was more of an option back then.

I wanted to buy some repros a while back for my '63 but couldnt see the cost as being practical at the moment. Still isnt a necessity where I live.
boatswain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: instructions Reply with quote

OK, can't figure out how to post a copy of the instructions... they are in PDF form. Help!
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: instructions Reply with quote

boatswain wrote:
OK, can't figure out how to post a copy of the instructions... they are in PDF form. Help!

If you need the instructions PM me your email and I'll send them to you. I wrote two procedures, A 'how to fit popouts in a bug' and another 'how to restore the seals in beat up popouts'.
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed one EIS `65+ pop-out, and used their rubber/hardware to restore an OEM set after I had the frames powdercoated black. I wouldn't waste the time on the EIS latches again - they're horrible compared to 40 year old German.

...One of my `77 Beetles wasn't pre-punched/drilled either Mad
dragginwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty24 wrote:
onetuza= I believe you are looking for a US style deluxe with correct bumpers (towel bars, taller guards etc.) Those are easy to obtain.

1965 changed to the bigger more heinous windows...which popouts are far more plentiful on, here in the states. You can find used ones dirt cheap. I have a set from my old '67 that I have not been able to even give away! For the 1964 and older popouts, they are more expensive and harder to find by a long shot. Most 64 and older bugs I have seen, don't have them. It was more of an option back then.

I wanted to buy some repros a while back for my '63 but couldnt see the cost as being practical at the moment. Still isnt a necessity where I live.

would you ship them?
how much for them and shipping to 37122, tn?????
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

I wanted know if there is a right and wrong way to face the frame to body seal on these pop outs? All videos I've watched don't say wither way. I have anew set and am trying to sort this out.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

The T goes first into the channel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

highwheelerboy22 wrote:
I wanted know if there is a right and wrong way to face the frame to body seal on these pop outs? All videos I've watched don't say wither way. I have anew set and am trying to sort this out.

Yeah, I don't believe the seal is directional, meaning it goes in T-first into the frame channel like Chickensoup indicated.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

If we're talking about the T seal on any beetle pop-out it most certainly is directional. Look closely at a WW or WCM (I don't buy cheaper stuff) seal profile and you'll see the long center part of the "T" profile is tapered toward the head's end on one side, dead perpendicular to the "T" head on the other. Flat side goes toward the car- every time. The tapered side helps keep the seal pressed against the side of the car- thus sealing the window.

If it's in backward it flairs away from the car when closed.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop-out Windows? Reply with quote

Got them installed and good to go! Thanks for the info folks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: