Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

IMHO. VW needs to seize sending out expensive (very limited) worthless information, that one has to wait an extremely long time for..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet

Last edited by aa390392 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
IMHO. VW needs to seize sending out expensive worthless information, that one has to wait an extremely long time for...may as well have fortune teller in a box, for a nickle give you
" yes its a 195? VW " BS.

I’m confused as to we’re and what top left search box and page you are referring to?

Danke
wbbbbbbb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
IMHO. VW needs to seize sending out expensive worthless information, that one has to wait an extremely long time for...may as well have fortune teller in a box, for a nickle give you

you, and anyone else complaining about birth certificates can simply just not buy one right? VW doesn't need to stop just because you don't personally like the birth certificates Rolling Eyes
wbbbbbbb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

My understanding is they no longer supply engine serial number so lowlifes can’t stamp / forge the engine cases! But if you supply your case number they will verify it! Good Enough for me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

wbbbbbbb wrote:

I’m confused as to we’re and what top left search box and page you are referring to?

i think thats his signature line

sled wrote:
aa390392 wrote:

you, and anyone else complaining about birth certificates can simply just not buy one right? VW doesn't need to stop just because you don't personally like the birth certificates Rolling Eyes

the strongest arguments ive heard against are the price point and the turn around time. both are pretty absurd for what it is they are offering.

wbbbbbbb wrote:
My understanding is they no longer supply engine serial number so lowlifes can’t stamp / forge the engine cases! But if you supply your case number they will verify it! Good Enough for me!

just takes one jerk to ruin things for everyone else.

im sad people cant know the lost engine numbers for their cars. i have several cases from the 50's and it would make me really happy to reunite them with their original cars. im glad i have my number. i dont expect to find the engine but it sure would be cool.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

i have been working on gathering and sorting the braking system. i should have the whole system figured out soon. ill post some more pictures as i work through it. these are brake lines and hoses from kaefer-nostalgie.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

could anyone direct me to a resource for proper brake line bending and shapes? i havent been able to locate anything covering that topic.

im looking for a template for the shapes. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jim-
A bit off topic from the resto part of the current discussion but I just wanted to chime in!

I have really enjoyed your thread, the stories you have shared about your family and the '52 that ties things together.

I'm a Leavenworth Kansas high school grad - 1990 - so I enjoy the Kansas connections - we used to play the Overland Park schools in soccer. The '52 Kansas plate is great - always thought it was cool how it was shaped like the state. Reminds me of my first car - a 1953 Ford Customline club coupe and how I had to find and original '53 Front plate... just cuz it was cool Rolling Eyes

I also remember an Army officer friend of my dad at Ft. Leavenworth had a black '52 VW Beetle - it was old and cool and weird to me back then - but I knew it was a special car.

It wasn't until '94 that I bought my first VW - a '64 Ghia.... another story for another time.

Thanks and keep up the good work Exclamation
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Jim-
A bit off topic from the resto part of the current discussion but I just wanted to chime in!

I have really enjoyed your thread, the stories you have shared about your family and the '52 that ties things together.

I'm a Leavenworth Kansas high school grad - 1990 - so I enjoy the Kansas connections - we used to play the Overland Park schools in soccer. The '52 Kansas plate is great - always thought it was cool how it was shaped like the state. Reminds me of my first car - a 1953 Ford Customline club coupe and how I had to find and original '53 Front plate... just cuz it was cool Rolling Eyes

I also remember an Army officer friend of my dad at Ft. Leavenworth had a black '52 VW Beetle - it was old and cool and weird to me back then - but I knew it was a special car.

It wasn't until '94 that I bought my first VW - a '64 Ghia.... another story for another time.

Thanks and keep up the good work Exclamation

im glad to have you along for the ride and am pleased that you are enjoying the story!

those license plates are the coolest. i wish they were still like that. its an excellent design.

i was in Leavenworth not too long ago. there cant have been very many 52 bugs in and around this area. small world! i went to shawnee mission east high school. im pretty sure they are still competing with leavenworth.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

picked these up recently. they are from another samba user. thanks Ray!

rear brakes w/ 4 bolt backing plates and wheel cylinders:

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

For if you don't know: Don't use the brake shoes of the assembly on the left. They don't fit the adjusters.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
For if you don't know: Don't use the brake shoes of the assembly on the left. They don't fit the adjusters.

nope. i did not know that. would you care to elaborate?

i have muir, car of the century, chiltons, the spare parts book, an owners manual and several other resourses. none have proven useful in this part of the project. most barely even mention that there are brake lines.

id love to find a reliable resource for how the brake system was originally constructed. any help you can provide in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:

So now I'm staring at the picture, like it's one of those puzzles where you have to identify all of the differences..
I can see several seemingly minor details, but nothing that suggests they are a different size, or that they sit in the adjuster incorrectly. I'm also waiting to hear the details.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

my friend Mike just sent me an excellent pdf. it covers the changes to the brake system up to 1958 both hydraulic and cable. nice pictures of parts. shapes for the brake lines. basically everything ive been looking for.

i sent the file to Everett to add to the archive section.

ill post some images of the parts and screen shots of the document sometime soon.

on a separate note -

i recently learned that both my friend Mike and Everett, who we all have to thank for this great site, are "Heroes of Antique Volkswagening" and are in the hall of fame for their contributions to the hobby. Everett was inducted in 2010 and Mike in 2016.

very cool guys! thanks!

http://www.shorelineantiqueautoconnection.com/cgheroes.htm
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

jimone

there is an ( official split beetle engine finder thread )
here in the split forum. Wink I'm too lame to link the thread. Embarassed
just search engine finder in the split forum search bar. . join the fun. !
Steve. Very Happy
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

So now I'm staring at the picture, like it's one of those puzzles where you have to identify all of the differences..
I can see several seemingly minor details, but nothing that suggests they are a different size, or that they sit in the adjuster incorrectly. I'm also waiting to hear the details.

For me with my bad English language it's hard to explain. But have a look on the shape of the shoe where it sits in the adjusters slot. The shape has to be the same (!) as on the other side where it sits into the cylinders slot. These shoes fit to the 53 up brakes, where there are two springs going diagonal direction and have adjusters with an angular slot.
The slot in adjusters of split beetles isn't angular, so these wrong shoes don't touch the ground of the slot in the middle, but at its edge. That is not good.
So when you haven't got the correct split beeltes shoes, it is better to use the other kind of new shoes as seen on the right. They attach the slots of adjusters and cylinders as it should.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
jimone

there is an ( official split beetle engine finder thread )
here in the split forum. Wink I'm too lame to link the thread. Embarassed
just search engine finder in the split forum search bar. . join the fun. !
Steve. Very Happy

awesome. ill make a post about the case im looking for. thanks for bringing that to my attention!

pastellgreen wrote:
For me with my bad English language it's hard to explain. But have a look on the shape of the shoe where it sits in the adjusters slot. The shape has to be the same (!) as on the other side where it sits into the cylinders slot. These shoes fit to the 53 up brakes, where there are two springs going diagonal direction and have adjusters with an angular slot.
The slot in adjusters of split beetles isn't angular, so these wrong shoes don't touch the ground of the slot in the middle, but at its edge. That is not good.
So when you haven't got the correct split beeltes shoes, it is better to use the other kind of new shoes as seen on the right. They attach the slots of adjusters and cylinders as it should.

thank you for taking the time to expand on that. i think your english is excellent. english is my first (and really only) language and i struggle all the time. you are correct that the shoes dont seat correctly in the adjusters on one of the sets. good eye! i took some pictures from above so that others can see what i saw.

top picture is the assembly on the left of the picture with the incorrectly seated shoe. lower picture is the brake on the right with the correctly seated shoe.

the brakes pdf was already in the archives section. listed under "der berater pamphlets". i never would have been able to find that section unless i just stumbled into it. one of those things where if you know it you know how to find it, but when you dont know youll never use the right search terms. here is a link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater.php
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

here are some of the parts for the deluxe model of november 1952
source "der berater" no. 19 from vw gmbh.

front drum

front backing plate left

front backing plate right

rear drum

rear backing plate left

rear backing plate right

brake shoe

master cylinder

wheel cylinder front 19mm

wheel cylinder rear 17mm

upper return spring

lower return spring

adjuster nut

adjuster screw

push bar

brake levers

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

It’s interesting that in November 52 Beetles had some brake components with bus part numbers; I’d always assumed if it was for a Beetle, since they came first, it would have a beetle part number and the bus might also use it, but with a beetle part number still. I love learning these things!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

bally wrote:
It’s interesting that in November 52 Beetles had some brake components with bus part numbers; I’d always assumed if it was for a Beetle, since they came first, it would have a beetle part number and the bus might also use it, but with a beetle part number still. I love learning these things!

i am also surprised by that. it looks like a bunch of brake innovation happened with the introduction of the transporter platform. the original cable brake system is all 111 prefixes. the hydraulic system for the beetle is a mix of 211 and 113. seems to me that the hydraulic brakes were first fleshed out on the transporter and then brought over to the deluxe bug before eventually making their way to the standard model.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: