Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Oh sheeite, that's a good one! Glad you are ok. You seam to be dealing with it well. I had a 74 baywindow with my custom full roof rack that got mangled by an alder tree during an ice storm. Small dent in roof, rack needed surgery. My current 87 syncro and I had a near miss on a nice calm, sunny afternoon in Washington. Driving along a 2 lane backwoods road doing 40 or so and something ahead on the left side of the road caught my eye. It was a big rotten alder that finally decided to fall across the road! A split second decision to stomp the gas and swerve to the right shoulder and get passed it resulted in the top of the tree clipping the A pillar at the top corner of the windshield and exploding. Thankfully really rotten and caused no damage other than bark and wood fibers jammed under the windshield seal.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Think I'm getting the chainsaw out and eyeballing any large trees within falling distance...

I'm impressed with your ability to have some humor in the face of such a disappointing event! I agree with the others on here. See if you can buy it back and store it under a cover. While you may not have time to deal with it now, the time may come you can use it as a donor for another build. Heck, park it in the exact same spot, what are the odds of another tree....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Shocked Surprised Sad Crying or Very sad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

meh...

i'd fix it, but i'm fucked up in the head like that.

it's just about how much effort do you want to spend. i've literally been involved with restorations that got built around a VIN number

i know, its a cost/benefit thing but these are getting harder and harder to find. i have a whole van that could be used for parts.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

See what happens when you paint your wheels black ! I love your sense of humor with regards to this. Having a good Ins policy is a great backup plan, without it you just have a squashed van.
Buy it back for the 10%, you should be able to get a few grand for the carcass with all that work done. Looks like you have a decent yard to keep it while you find the proper buyer. For someone with a train wreck camper this is the perfect companion.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

*twiddles thumbs....*

So I'm looking for a brown interior... Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

One of many great lines from the movie The Money Pit was

"we have weak trees"

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Just get the tree out of there and drive it as-is.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Ya just gotta be impressed by the load rating of those tires!

Be careful getting the tree off that the sudden weight movement on either side doesn't cause it to shift and hurt someone even though it looks like it's in there pretty solid.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Nothing a little duct tape can’t fix..

Sorry for your loss!
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Very sorry to see the loss of your Vanagon. Difficult to handle I am sure. The Vanagon community will miss it as well...always enjoy and celebrate seeing another bus on the road.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the sentiment. I appreciate the thoughtful responses and laughs. As far as taking it hard or well, I have never found that anger and anguish over what amounts to money has ever done good for anyone. I got a lot of good out of building up this glorious van and driving it around the east coast from Key West to Newfoundland and I'm also happy I missed the very end of it Smile

This all happened a couple weeks back. So, maybe the post was a little misleading this morning, the wound is not quite fresh.

Unfortunately, I need it removed quickly so that I can cut down some more of these damned Sweetgum trees (worthless) and rebuild a fence. The trees are gonna fall right where the van is now.

I did ask the insurance agent and they will be auctioning this van as is, not junking it. The buy back offer is $5800 from the insurance. I just need it hauled away quickly. Hopefully it goes locally but at least it will not be destroyed.

Here are some pics of the tree removal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is now:

And the last camping trip to OBX:

He was a good van, Wembley.

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

What a terrible end to your Westy. It's so fortunate that nobody was injured. The Samba community is great and everyone expresses their heartfelt sympathy.

I just noticed that we Sambanites are not the only ones who care - - it looks like even the dog gives a shit:

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

jfu057 wrote:

That dog pic is Classic! only thing better would be if he was on the roof.

What kind of 3-window tent is that? I like the radiused corners of the side windows.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

What kind of 3-window tent is that? I like the radiused corners of the side windows.

That is the early adopters edition of the GoWesty removable window tent.

It leaked like crazy though those very windows when new but I was able to seal it eventually. The newer ones don't have this issue I think.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

[quote="vanis13"]
jfu057 wrote:

I would say that this is what he thinks of the van situation but it is really his default response to most things.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
- it looks like even the dog gives a shit:

Laughing
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

All I see is an open cab westy. Insurance companies must see the value in vanagons now.

I agree with the sweet gum sentiment. But, they are pretty when they turn color.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

$5800 buy back means the payout was hefty. That's good to hear.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

It may be too late, but I'd strip all the aftermarket parts off it before giving it up. The awning, box, exterior accessories. I'm surprised at $5800 buy back. That's really high for the totaled van. If you were going to get another one it might be worth it. Most people don't know you can negotiate the buyback as well. Here's mine after it was bought back. Hardly anything left after being stripped.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: