Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body work help
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Body work help Reply with quote

I was going over car and found a soft spot in the back seat floor pan that is really this. It is where the front seat belt anchors. What gauge steel is used for the rocker and floor pan? I guess I have to make a patch for the floor pan and a patch for the rocker with a heavy metal piece welded on it for the seat belt anchor?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rocker seemed to have rusted from the inside out.

Thanks
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Body work help Reply with quote

Yes....it rusted from the inside out.

Understand that the most destructive area on 411 and 412.....is in the rockers/heater channel area just forward of the rear fender. That area and some of just above it is filled with isocyante foam.

The big water ingress culprit to that foam is actually either water leaking in around window gaskets and the front windshield gasket and flowing rearward. Thats kind o the obvious and minor culprit.

The big one is water leaking in around the outside steel trim holes and dribbling down to the heater channels in the big cavity behind the arm rests in the rear seat. It soaks the foam and stays there rusting out the rockers and sills.

You can pull off the armrests and cardboard panel and look and reach down in there. Of course the heater channel is further below. The fiam is used to plug the rear open end of the heater channel.

One good coarse of action is to remove rear wheel and at the lower edge of the forward side of the rear wheel arch.....take a hole saw....maybe 1.5" diameter. Cut a plug of sheet metal out at the end of the heater channel. Then with rods, hooks and picks you can remove the foam....derust....patch....seal....and then spot weld the disc of metal back in undecoat over it.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Body work help Reply with quote

i figured it was a foam issue. I still need to know what gauge steel to get. i will need to make a floor pan patch and a rocker patch. Ill salvage the seat belt anchor reinforcement if possible.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Body work help Reply with quote

Does someone know what gauge steel is used on the rockers and floor pan?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Body work help Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
Does someone know what gauge steel is used on the rockers and floor pan?

This is the only info about steel thickness I can find in the factory workshop manual....maybe it can give you a clue...

/Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: