Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Further idle troubleshooting
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Ok so with all hoses installed, if either the T hose or other longer hose connected to ISV are closed, the idle is 950?

jAndrew wrote:
Now, with the breather hose back in place and the other hose closed, as well and just the bottom where the T hose, it idles a bit lower at around 950.

Yes, and quite steady.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Ok, good.

Well, maybe someone more knowledgable than me can comment but to me, it sure seems like something in the idle control system has a fault.

But assuming the duty cycle test shows that the current draw is out of spec, afaik, that doesn't really point to one specific part.

The ICU can be opened up. Sometimes, a failure of a component on that unit is obvious.

I found that mine was held pretty tight to the socket so take your time removing it; the contacts in the socket are a specific design that really grips the male contacts.

In terms of taking it apart, what I'd do is use a thin semi wide plastic tool to separate the case from brown board part. Just work your way around. Once you have the case loose, the printed circuit boards should slide out.

Neil.

ICU socket

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Ok, good.

Well, maybe someone more knowledgable than me can comment but to me, it sure seems like something in the idle control system has a fault.

But assuming the duty cycle test shows that the current draw is out of spec, afaik, that doesn't really point to one specific part.

The ICU can be opened up. Sometimes, a failure of a component on that unit is obvious.

I found that mine was held pretty tight to the socket so take your time removing it; the contacts in the socket are a specific design that really grips the male contacts.

In terms of taking it apart, what I'd do is use a thin semi wide plastic tool to separate the case from brown board part. Just work your way around. Once you have the case loose, the printed circuit boards should slide out.

Neil.

ICU socket

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks Neil, I appreciate you, and others, for taking the time to help out with this. Hopefully some day I will have the experience to pay it forward.

I inspected that socket some months ago and there was no signs of anything obvious. It was remarkably clean. I will have another go and do some of the testing in the manual.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

You're welcome Andrew.

My money is on a bad ICU. That said...

I'm sure this was mentioned but if your Syncro has power steering, if the "hot" PS switch wire has shorted to ground for any length of time, that could've damaged wires which *might* include wires to/from ICU socket.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
You're welcome Andrew.

My money is on a bad ICU. That said...

I'm sure this was mentioned but if your Syncro has power steering, if the "hot" PS switch wire has shorted to ground for any length of time, that could've damaged wires which *might* include wires to/from ICU socket.

Neil.

No power steering.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

From another post by Gauche1968:

"Assuming the OP has Digijet, he has a different component. The Digital Idle Stabilizers' job on Digijet is to constantly alter timing at idle on the fly to keep idle from falling below 800 RPM. Typical failure mode is the van wont run at all, because the ignition signal is not getting through the failed component. You test for this by unplugging both connections and snapping them together. If the van starts and runs the idle stabilizer was bad (Of course, there could have also been a wiring problem that unplugging and plugging back in temporarily cured)."

I will play around with the ICU a while later.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Ahhh, right, ok.

I now see J 87 DIS unit in the 2.1 Digijet diagram at "engine compartment left" as well as an N 41 TCI also at "engine compartment left". However, the same set of diagrams do show an idle speed stabilization unit at "engine compartment right".

Apologies if I kept your focus on the wrong part! Wink

Neil.

jAndrew wrote:

"Assuming the OP has Digijet, he has a different component. The Digital Idle Stabilizers' job on Digijet is to constantly alter timing at idle on the fly to keep idle from falling below 800 RPM. Typical failure mode is the van wont run at all, because the ignition signal is not getting through the failed component. You test for this by unplugging both connections and snapping them together. If the van starts and runs the idle stabilizer was bad (Of course, there could have also been a wiring problem that unplugging and plugging back in temporarily cured)."

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

I have the same rig & motor
I went through all tests & troubleshooting
Changed all the parts
The things that fixed it were
The fuel filter & intake manifold gasket’s & boots and the special NGK plugs
Runs perfect
Solid shaft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

This wandering idle issue is so common with so many different solutions, I would like to see a poll on what-solved-what? How many people found timing? How many found the ICU? How many found vacuum leaks? Where?...etc. Of course there are a great deal of variables here but I think a poll could be worded in a way that would capture at least solution trends.

A poll could then be converted into an organized mathematical flow chart which might lead to quicker solutions for many.

Maybe share poll results with vendors which "could" help with stocking necessary parts. Laughing

There is a great deal of accumulated real world experience here in the Forum and capturing it and then converting results to data would be a useful effort.

Last edited by slo356 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Ahhh, right, ok.

I now see J 87 DIS unit in the 2.1 Digijet diagram at "engine compartment left" as well as an N 41 TCI also at "engine compartment left". However, the same set of diagrams do show an idle speed stabilization unit at "engine compartment right".

Apologies if I kept your focus on the wrong part! Wink

Neil.

jAndrew wrote:

This is some odd mix VW made using the Digijet injection with the Digifant style Idle stabilizer.
To confuse things more, no catalytic convertor and no 02 sensor.

I'm of zero help but watching with interest and learning.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Further idle troubleshooting Reply with quote

From my non expert level point of view, comparing 1985 1.9 Digijet in Bentley vs 2.1 Digijet diagrams, though there's differences in wire colours, the wire assignments of 2.1 Digijet N41 J87 and 1985 Digijet 'transistor ignition control unit' and hall gen, *appear* to be the same.

I have only found the wiring diagrams for 2.1 Digijet so don't know if the Pro Training manual shows this but were it me, since it seems the ISV or ICU may have a fault, I'd fully disable the ISV ICU system then test N41 J87 parts and maybe check engine timing. i.e. an known good engine w/o PS and/or AC should idle and run fine without the ISV ICU system.

Neil.

Vanagon Nut wrote:

jAndrew wrote:

"Assuming the OP has Digijet, he has a different component. The Digital Idle Stabilizers' job on Digijet is to constantly alter timing at idle on the fly to keep idle from falling below 800 RPM.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: