Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The lack of innovation and vision here sometimes scares me.

Dave … think this through a bit regarding having to run an extension cord out the window.

Cars don’t need drivers anymore
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Really? What planet are you referring to? Here on earth that is still in the pipe dream stages!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Dave … think this through a bit regarding having to run an extension cord out the window.

They still need to be charged....... where?
Without paying the small fortune that a a parking facility asks.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Some people have claimed answers to problems by using vision, lol. In other words, it doesnt exist, might, maybe, someday happen
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I don't hate EVs, what I do hate is them being rammed down my throat as the ultimate answer by people that live in an urban bubble and have no idea what the rest of the world looks like never mind what our needs actually are!

I agree with this. it is driven by urban pollution problems. I'm sure evs are going to be part of the solution but not the complete answer. hybrids will cover gaps and hydrogen or biofuels the rest.

an interesting fact - several airlines flew 1000s of empty flights in the last few months just so that thay could keep their airport slots... Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Do you think self-driving cars might disrupt parking models a tiny bit?

These things will drive multiple changes in how we interact with transportation and our homes. Bottom floor of 2017 built condo building has an entire wall wired for EV, about 1/3 utilized.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Do you think self-driving cars might disrupt parking models a tiny bit?

These things will drive multiple changes in how we interact with transportation and our homes. Bottom floor of 2017 built condo building has an entire wall wired for EV, about 1/3 utilized.

I agree about future design.
But go to Philly, walk around the old area around Independence Hall…… there’s no underground parking for all of those homes and there never will be.
It is all on the street parking and a different spot every night.
Zero ability to charge at night unless the city installs charging station like street parking meters are today ….. if that happens, we need a universal charge plug that EVERY EV utilizes not unlike unleaded fuel flaps are now.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
we need a universal charge plug that EVERY EV utilizes not unlike unleaded fuel flaps are now. Dave

How they going to decide which side to put it in Think
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
djkeev wrote:
we need a universal charge plug that EVERY EV utilizes not unlike unleaded fuel flaps are now. Dave

How they going to decide which side to put it in Think

right in the middle Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Next dilemma, front or back Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
an interesting fact - several airlines flew 1000s of empty flights in the last few months just so that thay could keep their airport slots... Rolling Eyes

Just Wow! Only one of those flights would power a whole fleet of TDIs for a generation or two! But remember, at 60+ mpg the TDI's emissions are far too high... Rolling Eyes

There is no common sense left in the world!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Airlines fly many routes that lose money to maintain the schedule , that’s needed to position equipment and crew.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

FWIW, level 1 and level 2 charging are already universal.

I charge an EV hybrid with a 120v 15 amp outlet. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion, but my household does lots of short trip urban driving, rarely driving more than 30 miles per day. I'm glad technology is evolving.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
FWIW, level 1 and level 2 charging are already universal.

I charge an EV hybrid with a 120v 15 amp outlet. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion, but my household does lots of short trip urban driving, rarely driving more than 30 miles per day. I'm glad technology is evolving.

If you are going to bring facts to old guys yelling at clouds rants, we can’t progress here.

Laughing

It’s not just an urban problem, climate change impacts us all. Getting a path that eases transport energy from oil is good, and encourages development of renewables.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s not just an urban problem, climate change impacts us all.

True but at this point in time EVs fail to address the rural population's needs. Range and availability of charging stations are the two big ones here. The next big one that no one has mentioned yet is - where are the dealerships, the service people? Without availability to that who in a rural setting is going to buy the cars? How far and how much is it going to cost to truck/tow my EV to a service center for repairs? Maybe with time all that will change but right now a pure EV in a rural setting is nothing more than an expensive lawn ornament.

Sorry to bring facts back into the discussion but there it is...

That's the progression we need out here Abscate!

I look forward to the day when that changes, the low maintenance of EVs will give me more time to spend on things I enjoy much more.

Any technology that is worth it's salt will sell itself. The fact that California has felt the need to force people into the EV market proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do not feel EVs will be worth thier salt anytime in the near future!

Bring on better range, more charging stations and access to dealerships and I will be the first to get in line for one!

Last edited by oprn on Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The very first cars were loud and slow, expensive, and frightened horses and people. Plus, there were no gas stations. It took a while to make them quiet, dependable and affordable for most people, and to build the infrastructure to support them.

The same thing is happening with electric cars as we speak. We have to start somewhere. It seems some people think all of the issues need to be solved before we can sell electric cars. I have some news for you. Internal combustion cars still don't have all of their problems solved ... and likely never will. We have learned to mold our lives around the limitations of the technology we have while we continue to improve it.

One would think people who frequent a forum dedicated to a relic of a car that was most famous for the fact it changed incrementally to become more efficient, more safe, more comfortable ... would understand this fact.

Perfect is the enemy of good.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

True but not all of us have pockets deep enough to support a novelty industry as it grows and develops. By necessity we need something practical for our situation! The Beetle was even in it's infancy. The automotive industry is long ago past the "loud and slow, expensive, and frightened horses and people" phase!

Give me something I can afford and use or go home!
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that we still have issues with internal combustion engines. We still haven't reached that "complete burn" and never will. So we suffer with emission controls which have never been anything but a Bandaid. Why not put more research into EVs to make them more efficient and economical? I believe we have the brains to make this happen if there is not so much resistance to change. Not all change is good, but this is. "Affordable" is a relative term. How is it "affordable" to spend 50-60K for a pickup truck that holds a half sheet of plywood?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

ICE vehicles today don't satisfy the needs of every driver out there. We have no reason to expect EVs will either. Buy what works for you now. We still have many choices.

The Ford F150 is the most popular vehicle in the US. You can buy an entry level work truck on up to a $100,000 version. And soon, an electric version. Unfortunately, no one really makes the kind of truck I want any more. So, I just keep driving my 11 year old 2 door, standard transmission stripped-down Ranger. But if someone will make a 2 door electric simple work truck I wil be the first in line to take a test drive. A 4 door truck has 3 more doors than I need.

No one has said you have to buy an electric vehicle right now. And the vehicles you own now won't magically stop working tomorrow.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Diesel and 87 octane gas are the only real options where I live so that is what we run. We have a Subaru that requires premium and it is sitting most of the time because of fuel requirements. I also have a propane powered Rabbit that is runs beautifully, is a pleasure to drive, is low maintenance and very environmentally clean. It has been sitting now for 15 years due to fuel availability. Our Lupo takes 87 octane but due to it's limited tank size is a pain to plan a long distance trip in. An EV at this point would just be another impractical odd ball taking up space in the hay shed.

I don't need another one!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 235

Jump to: