Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Can someone confirm the correct windshield wiper park position for me? I finally got the wipers to park on my 57 after correcting a few wiring issues. They now park to the left, drivers side. I believe they should park to the right, passenger side?
If so, hopefully I just need to change up the position of the actuator connecting links?
I couldn't find anything in a search... the information my be buried in a build thread though...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Pic from a 57 owners manual shows right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

park to the right - as shown - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
That's what I was afraid of... now to figure out how to fix it!
d
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

I think you will find a cam inside the motor on the output shaft that can go on 180 degrees from where it is now. At least that is what my 1955 motor has (different motor than yours though). This is how they accommodated LHD and RHD cars wiper parking position.

It is easy to bench test it to confirm the park.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!
This is now on my weekend "To Do" list. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.
-12 in Chaska right now... have to fire up the garage heater a little more!
d
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

I couldn't wait till the weekend..... I'm even more confused now. I can't see anything that can be flipped 180 degrees. Maybe I have the wrong motor in here? This is what I have.

When I pulled it apart, there are three contacts that ride on the gear that is attached to the wiper actuator arm. They ride on a plastic ring, when you pull the switch on, power goes to 54D which is also wired directly to the motor.

Power is also constantly on 54 which rides on the plastic ring until you push the switch off. When that happens 31B is then grounded. The motor continues to run until the ring rotates until 31B contacts the gear at the same time 54 is lifted off the gear. I thought I would just be able to rotate the plastic ring 180 degrees to make it park on the right. no suck luck, the plastic ring is keyed into the gear.

One other interesting thing, On the bakelight terminal strip the wiring numbers are different from what is cast into the gear housing.

I had the wires reversed when I first put it in, and it would pop the fuse when it went to the park position.
Short of prying off the arm and putting it back on 180 degrees, I don't see any way to make them park on the right.

Anyone??
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Ah, I am familiar with the SWF motors and not the Bosch. It is a newer motor since it has spade connectors rather than screw terminals. Perhaps it is for a 1958 or later bug or other model entirely. I cannot tell from that part number. Maybe others know. Sorry if I led you astray.

If you have access to a grinder and a welder, you can solve this by removing and flip flopping the arm to the other side, then welding it back to the shaft. Or, get a proper oval era motor for LHD. I actually did this trick when I converted a 12V motor (which has a larger crank pin) for an older style smaller pin, to use in my 55 oval. I of course made sure it parked in the correct place before welding.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

I think 1957 and earlier wiper motors should have screw terminals not push on? That would explain the parking difference as the wiper position is different for the larger 1958 window.
'63 OG 117
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, this must not be "correct" for the 57.
I have a welder... I'll have to think about swapping the arm around.. I don't see much of a downside to doing that...
d
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Screw terminals ran through the end of the 1960 model year.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Yeah.. I looked at some later models, 65 I think it was . the wipers park on the left.
I flipped the arm around and re-welded it. Parks on the right now.
I'll keep an eye out for a screw terminal motor at swap meets!

Thanks everyone!
d
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Problem Sorted!

I flipped the arm around and welded it back on.
d
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Windshield Wiper Park Position? Reply with quote

Perfect!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: