Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks!
For those above the equator, for you viewing pleasure

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks like that intake manifold creates a tight fit on the drivers side.
How is the access on the front of engine (rear of van).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Full steam ahead! Nice "fancy foot work" on the captive nut. Hope the JB holds.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Woop woop!

Vana Guy wrote:
Awesome! Thanks!
For those above the equator, for you viewing pleasure

It looks like that intake manifold creates a tight fit on the drivers side.
How is the access on the front of engine (rear of van).

Thanks lol. Picture was indeed taken on the Western hemisphere, and posted late at night...

There is space, soon to be taken by the exhaust though! I'll post more detailed pics eventually.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Almost there.
Exhaust is in.

PS fluid is in, Engine oil is in.
Coolant does not want to go in! I've poured 7.5 L (8 qts) so far, which is roughly half of what I expect to put in there.
Rear of the van is jacked. I poured coolant in the engine via the left-forward hose.

As a result expansion tank filled up. When engine was full, I switched to the coolant line to radiator.

But only 7.5L went in. I'll send an email to FAS. Any thoughts in the meantime?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Can't say as I've ever measured how much coolant I put into a van. The cooling capacity of the long block and plumbing on an inline vs a WBX is probably different. Wait until you've run the engine and got it up to temp before filling to the final amount. Don't forget to open the heater valves.

Also, I think your tailpipe needs to be rotated upwards to be roughly parallel with the muffler.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

agreed on tail pipe.

Looking at muffler as shown below....

it may be a case of rotating the muffler CCW so the "larger" part of it is set more rearward, putting that part at ~ 180º, then repositioning tail pipe up wards one position..... maybe. Hard to say via online images.

Different install but tail pipe on one of my swaps looked like that. It would get caught on stuff. One time it got caught pretty bad. That's another story......

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I'm wary of starting the engine with only half the coolant though...

As for the exhaust, it's pretty much as per FAS install manual. I imagine the idea behind orienting it downwards is to evacuate moisture better? What's the argument for putting it straight? For better clearance as Neil stated; any other reason?

I've sent an email to FAS regarding these two points. So far they have been very reactive and have given detailed answers to all of my questions.
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I'm wary of starting the engine with only half the coolant though...

As for the exhaust, it's pretty much as per FAS install manual. I imagine the idea behind orienting it downwards is to evacuate moisture better? What's the argument for putting it straight? For better clearance as Neil stated; any other reason?

I've sent an email to FAS regarding these two points. So far they have been very reactive and have given detailed answers to all of my questions.

Why not spring for the vacuum assist tool? You could also make a libby bong, (you seem like you like random clever homemade tools Laughing ) for the expansion tank. Also was the radiator bleeder screw open when you were filling that direction?
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Can't say as I've ever measured how much coolant I put into a van. The cooling capacity of the long block and plumbing on an inline vs a WBX is probably different. Wait until you've run the engine and got it up to temp before filling to the final amount. Don't forget to open the heater valves.

i recall this from the last couple fills we did, that even when you think youve drained it all via the engine side, if you go to mess with the hoses up front youll find another couple gallons vapor locked up front Laughing

my only recommendation would have been to empty it totally and vacuum fill but at this point doing the bong or just topping it off once running oughta be fine. crack open the radiator bleeder.
i wouldnt sweat running it partially filled as long as youre feeding it more as you go.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I have a bong I made for the WBX. I could adapt it to the larger opening of the new expansion tank.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You can run it for many minutes at idle with half coolant - or less!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
f

For what you paid do literally everything else in your power before running it. Might not fry your engine but it will most certainly fry your warranty.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

I would agree if it was a regular, broken-in engine of which all quirks are known. Then I would definitely start it and fill the expansion bottle as it warms up.
But not today. This is the very first time this very new engine will be started. Running it with half coolant is another big variable I don't need at that stage of the process.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Can you spin the water pump?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

Yes, crankshaft (and belt) spins by hand and with the starter.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

If you can spin the pump by hand (remove belt) you might be able to get more coolant into system. Spin it back and forth maybe.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I thought of that, and actually cranked the engine (ignition and fuel disconnected) to get the pump moving. Didn't do anything.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I still have my siphon hose that I used to fill the system (the first few times) through the rad bleeder hose if it's not full at the bleeder already. Then fill at the tank while massaging the hoses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTUr0SEJBw
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

I can hook up my OBD2 dongle and can monitor the engine temp on my TorquePro app after you start the engine.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Little Blue Truck gets a new engine - FAS 2.0 engine conversion Reply with quote

You could find a pulley with a 5/8" hole in it, put it on a 4 1/2" grinder with a nut to capture it, and, after checking for the proper rotational direction, spin the pump . I had a recalcitrant Roto-tiller (by brand) that was started that way.

Roland
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: