Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ghia coupe restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I just bought a bunch of rubber seals from KGPR/Airhead parts, and they're all made of damn foam. These were the "made by KGPR" seals. I gotta say I'm disappointed, I thought those guys know what they're doing. These are getting returned. I'm not putting foam, that's going to hold water, on my freshly painted rust free car. What are these guys thinking?
I heard alot of the WCM seals are foam too.

So, who is making real rubber seals these days?

I'm kind of surprised that KGP&R doesn't have decent seals anymore.
Maybe Mike at House of Ghia can steer you into the right direction.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Paint looks beautifully done. Nice color. You're car is moving along quickly.

Thanks! I'm feeling really good about the decision to go with L390.
I don't know about quickly though, but then this is my first restoration. I don't know how long these things normally take. The body shop has had the body for over a year now, and just three months from now will be two years since I started tearing it down. I naively thought I'd have this whole thing done in under a year when I started sanding the paint off in March 2020 Laughing

Wow!
Beautiful work and such a great color!
I tackled my restoration similarly to yours. I kept the chassis and sent the body to a resto shop. He had it for two years.
Don't feel too bad about the length of time it's taking. I bought my coupe in 1997. All I got was a test drive before deciding to restore her. I finally finished 9 years later!

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Wow, 9 years! That's a commendable level of patience that I definitely don't have. If I don't have this car running and driving by this summer, I feel like I'm going to lose my mind! Can you tell I grew up with video games and the internet? Laughing Laughing

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

The good rubber is often from Vewib. http://www.vewib.de/index.php?language=en
An number of vendors stock them but Vewib do not sell directly to end users. Search on the web for “Vewib Karmann” or “Vewib Ghia”. I have Vewib all over my Ghia and I’m quite happy with the results.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
The good rubber is often from Vewib. http://www.vewib.de/index.php?language=en
An number of vendors stock them but Vewib do not sell directly to end users. Search on the web for “Vewib Karmann” or “Vewib Ghia”. I have Vewib all over my Ghia and I’m quite happy with the results.

Nicholas

I found Vewib door seals at CIP1. They're listed as "German" seals. These are so much nicer than that foam garbage!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I knew I wasn't crazy! There's a ~1.5mm hole in the nosecone. That's some shit right there on a fresh rebuilt trans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I'm really glad I kept my old transmission. I pulled the nosecone off of it, and installed it on the new trans. Everything is back together now. Since the old nosecone was pre-reverse light, that's one less potential leak spot, which is 100% fine with me.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I also got rid of that janky hose-hardline-hose crap, that I was just not happy with. I found these purpose-made rear disc hoses from Airkewld with banjo bolt fittings on the calipers. I'm much happier with this setup

Previously owned:
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I've never seen that in a nose cone Crying or Very sad another thing to watch out for.
I like the new rear hose set up. It might be an idea to cut a grommet so you can put it around the brake hose where it passes through the eye on the swing axle?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
I knew I wasn't crazy! There's a ~1.5mm hole in the nosecone. That's some shit right there on a fresh rebuilt trans.

And you didnt just smear on some JB weld?
Congrats, we also knew you wernt crazy.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

And you didnt just smear on some JB weld?
Congrats, we also knew you wernt crazy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
I've never seen that in a nose cone Crying or Very sad another thing to watch out for.
I like the new rear hose set up. It might be an idea to cut a grommet so you can put it around the brake hose where it passes through the eye on the swing axle?

A grommet is a good idea.
I have some lengths of large diameter german braided vacuum line left over from one of the 914s I used to own. I was planning to cut about an inch section, slit it, and then wrap it around the brake hose to act like...a grommet. But a real grommet makes more sense. Sometimes I take the long way home! Laughing

Previously owned:
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

I have my EMPI rear disc kit yet to install and the instructions to bend the hard lines seemed ghetto so I ordered that set of IRS braided lines from Airkewld as per your advise. Much cleaner! Thank you!
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
I have my EMPI rear disc kit yet to install and the instructions to bend the hard lines seemed ghetto so I ordered that set of IRS braided lines from Airkewld as per your advise. Much cleaner! Thank you!

Thanks for the business guys!

Win a FREE Chassis Rebuild - https://airkewld.co/WinAChassis

Learn from a PRO on Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/Airkewld

FAQ - https://airkewld.co/FAQ

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

YouTube Channel - https://airkewld.co/SubSamba
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:

The hose you sold me is leaking from both ends

Previously owned:

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Airkewld wrote:

The hose you sold me is leaking from both ends

Check the sealing surface on each side including the crush washers. The hoses are not torqued before leaving our facility.

We will take care of you with out issue.

Leaky hoses are not common.

View our Industry Leading Products - https://www.airkewld.com/Products-s/2322.htm

We made a iPhone Ringtone with a Classic VW Turbo Engine - https://airkewld.co/RingtoneTurbo

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Airkewld wrote:

Check the sealing surface on each side including the crush washers. The hoses are not torqued before leaving our facility.

We will take care of you with out issue.

Leaky hoses are not common.

I appreciate that, and thanks for responding. I just sent you guys an email as well with my order details.
The fitting on the pan side of the hose was loose. I didn't realize this was a separate part, since it's not with a regular rubber hose. I think that side is actually ok now.

But I can't get the caliper side of the hose to stop leaking. Even though the calipers are painted, there is no paint where the crush washer touches the caliper. I've torqued it as much as I feel comfortable with it being soft metal, but I can't get it to seal.

Previously owned:
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Era, it looks like the outboard side also has a AN fitting on the caliper adapter. Did you check the torque on the AN fitting like you found loose on the inboard side?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Era, it looks like the outboard side also has a AN fitting on the caliper adapter. Did you check the torque on the AN fitting like you found loose on the inboard side?

I did. You'll see when you get the packaging, but the banjo fitting isn't attached to the cable in the package, so I tightened that down prior to bleeding. The inboard fitting is attached in the packaging, that's why I didn't realize it was a separate piece.
But the leak isn't coming from the outboard fitting. It's coming either from between the crush washer and caliper, or that same crush washer and the banjo fitting. Difficult to tell exactly as it seeps out. Either way, it's between the banjo fitting and the caliper.

Previously owned:
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Copy. From your photos, it looks like everything at the banjo/caliper is flush and should seal. Very odd. I guess I'll let you know how mine goes, Airkewld shipped my lines today. I do have to run the Daytona 24 hour next week and then straight to Sebring for a test but should be able to install mine when I return in a couple of weeks.

Out of curiosity, are both lines leaking L/R?
Airkewld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ghia coupe restoration Reply with quote

Our client was unaware that the lines are made in pieces on one end.

The sealing surfaces on New calipers are rough machined and should be inspected for inconsistencies. He also emailed and we went over several inspection he need to audit to make sure it is the hose and not something else. Either way, we will get it figured out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: