Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 super thread
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: 1973 super thread Reply with quote

Been a while since I've had a project bug.....so I think I need a build thread for all my questions instead of a bunch of different posts. I bought a 1973 super beetle

Title issues
Runs (off battery, generator not hooked up)
1969 engine
no brakes
Almost no elec works
shifts into forward and reverse and stalls if I pop the clutch
pans are toast, need replaced
Strut towers good
Heat Channels are decent, won't need replaced
My goal is to get this POS to be a decent driver for $2000
First goal is to get it drivable to get to the BMV for the out of state title VIN inspection

First question
How do the 1973 alternator wires adapt to the 1968 generator
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super thread Reply with quote

Edit: I didn't know any alternator cars had external regulators, and assumed you would need to add one, but from the next post it appears that may not be the situation. So I have deleted this comment about adding a regulator as it was probably a distraction.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.

Last edited by Buggeee on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super thread Reply with quote

It appears your '73 wire harness is still set up for the original externally regulated alternator which will make swapping to a generator easier. You'll need to also swap out the regulator under the rear seat to an appropriate unit meant for a generator.

The heavier wire with the ring terminal in your picture should be a red/white striped wire which will attach to the D+ terminal of the generator and to the D+ terminal of the regulator. In the three wire plug, you'll need to attach the green wire to the generator DF terminal and the brown wire attaches to the generator body at the threaded hole near the fan housing -- the remaining wire was originally for the diagnostic plug and isn't needed. At the regulator you'll attach the green wire to the DF terminal, and the brown wire to the D- terminal. There should be a blue wire that runs up to the warning lamp, this wire will connect to the regulator 61 terminal. The last wire will be another heavier red/white striped wire which runs from the battery positive terminal over to the B+ terminal on the regulator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: