Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

ouch... I feel very very sorry about your van OP...

I was very lucky to escape the same situation 3 years ago... the tree came down very slowly and the branches absorbed the impact. It's a tintop Syncro.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Insurance rules differ state by state and province by province, but when an insurer is paying out for a total loss, they generally set out a high "buyback" price for the owner on the basis that the buyer will have in hand more (insurance) cash than most third parties and possibly an emotional attachment as well.

It might be good to see if you (or a proxy) can buy the hulk at the insurance auction that is soon to follow. You would be surprised at how low some accepted bids can be at wrecked vehicle auctions. Here in BC, only accredited buyers can bid at these auctions, so it's harder to do:

https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/salvage/html/Register.html
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

That was a nice van. I really like the color combo with the black steelies.

BTW, you should see about getting the ivy removed from those trees. It can kill 'em
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
That was a nice van. I really like the color combo with the black steelies.

BTW, you should see about getting the ivy removed from those trees. It can kill 'em

Noted.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Mercedes made a version of the Unimog that had the cab as a convertible with ragtop. I thought it looked great with the radio van/ambulance box on the back of it.

Picturing this as the same using that solid wall divider VW installed in some of the Vanagon.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2333869

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Mercedes made a version of the Unimog that had the cab as a convertible with ragtop. I thought it looked great with the radio van/ambulance box on the back of it.

Picturing this as the same using that solid wall divider VW installed in some of the Vanagon.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2333869

Could just go no doors and a fold down windscreen like an old Willys jeep. Idea
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Sorry about the Van. But love your attitude about “Things” Glad you were not harmed.

This happened at a campout my buddy was visiting. The folks in the Bay and Splitty made it out safely.

Perhaps you could do something custom with the Vanagon Wink Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Ooof, I know a thread for that second one
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

How disappointing it must be to invest the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to end up with this?......... 🤷‍♂️
Unique?
Yes, for sure ......

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Insurance rules differ state by state and province by province, but when an insurer is paying out for a total loss, they generally set out a high "buyback" price for the owner on the basis that the buyer will have in hand more (insurance) cash than most third parties and possibly an emotional attachment as well.

It might be good to see if you (or a proxy) can buy the hulk at the insurance auction that is soon to follow. You would be surprised at how low some accepted bids can be at wrecked vehicle auctions. Here in BC, only accredited buyers can bid at these auctions, so it's harder to do:

https://onlinebusiness.icbc.com/salvage/html/Register.html

If you let it go to auction you will lose it to parts flippers. The buy back will be too low to negotiate, frankly,especially since it’s already on your property where you can charge them storage or make them pay for a tow
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Let Mike Labate at Rocky Mountail Westy know about what company is going to do the auction. He is often in the Asheville area and may want to grab it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
It may be too late, but I'd strip all the aftermarket parts off it before giving it up. The awning, box, exterior accessories. I'm surprised at $5800 buy back. That's really high for the totaled van. If you were going to get another one it might be worth it. Most people don't know you can negotiate the buyback as well. Here's mine after it was bought back. Hardly anything left after being stripped.

They will likely take less than half of that initial offer. You can throw it out there and tell them are moving it off your property into storage in the meantime.

You can remove personal property but not the upgrades. That’s part of the van and is insurance fraud if you don’t have permission to do so. In essence, you can’t strip it of parts before they take it.

PS…is that windshield available?
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

jfu057 wrote:
...I have never found that anger and anguish over what amounts to money has ever done good for anyone.

Truly sage wisdom. And astonishingly stoic, given the loss.

I've always endowed my vehicles, among other objects, with maybe too much sentimental value. My folks have a picture of me as a kid over 25 years ago literally hugging our '78 diesel Dasher with its "for sale" sign in the window, right before the keys were handed over to its new owner.

The memories made won't be lost. I admire your objectivity.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Tis but a sctratch Cool

Sorry for your loss. All kidding aside, if you are thinking of getting another, it would make a great trailer. Cut it off behind the driver's seat, remove the engine . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

In case anyone was planning on following the auction for this. The copart lot# is 32839912.

It is listed on the website now as an upcoming lot. I hope it does someone some good. Smile

https://www.copart.com/lot/32839912/1984-volkswagen-vanagon-campmobile-nc-mebane
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

jfu057 wrote:
In case anyone was planning on following the auction for this. The copart lot# is 32839912.

It is listed on the website now as an upcoming lot. I hope it does someone some good. Smile

https://www.copart.com/lot/32839912/1984-volkswagen-vanagon-campmobile-nc-mebane

cool of you to share....under "Run and Drive" they have the description below....how do you think they started it and selected gears and got it to move forward?

At the time the vehicle arrived at Copart's location,
Copart verified that the vehicle (i) started, (ii) could
be put into gear, and (iii) was capable of moving forward
under its own power. There is no guarantee,
representation, or warranty that the vehicle is in
roadworthy condition or can be driven lawfully upon the
highways of any state. There is no guarantee,
representation, or warranty that the vehicle will (i) start, (ii)
drive, or (iii) move forward under its own power at the time
the vehicle is picked up at Copart's location. It is the
Member's sole responsibility to ascertain, confirm,
research, inspect, and/or investigate the vehicle prior to
bidding on it. Once the vehicle is removed from Copart's
premises, the Member accepts the vehicle "as is."

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Oh my.

This is the thread of heartbreak and good humor. In that vein, Mother Nature 1, Vanagons 0.

I believe this van was owned by Ron at Bus Depot. I guess that makes it 2 for Mother Nature.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

cool of you to share....under "Run and Drive" they have the description below....how do you think they started it and selected gears and got it to move forward?

Most of the driving compartment became quite accessible through the front windshield after the tree was removed Smile. We were able to turn the wheel enough to maneuver it into position in front of the wrecker as it was winched out of the back yard. As for engaging the gears... I'm not sure. Maybe there was enough room to depress the clutch. Then the shifter can be reached beneath the van.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Oh my.

This is the thread of heartbreak and good humor. In that vein, Mother Nature 1, Vanagons 0.

I believe this van was owned by Ron at Bus Depot. I guess that makes it 2 for Mother Nature.

That’s not going to buff out.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: much time and effort in this westy... and now also a tree Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Oh my.

That’s not going to buff out.

He has a White Westy now, how long ago was this?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: