Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator dash light not on
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I have a cut-off switch on the ground to the battery. I'll bypass it on another voltage check.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Just found out this happened. I recently had the car in a shop for wheel allignment, and they had to charge the battery for road testing. Not knowing that on the Type 4 fi you must disconnect the battery cables to do that.

Could that have caused some serious damage? Obviously the battery was too low to start the engine then.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Well I'm a little embarassed, and a whole lot confused. Yesterday was a nice enough day to go to the shop bldg, and wiggle under the 411, and check out all of the alternator wires and connections. What's embarassing I noticed the wire from the alternator to the starter solonoid was not even connected to the solonoid. The connector for the wire was attached,but the wire had pulled lose, and was hanging loose. Not hanging down where it could be seen, but firmly it stayed up high. The end connector of the wire must not have been properly attached. Although some firm pressure had pulled it off. It's a wire with a round connector attachment.

Haven't made the repairs yet, I'll let you know how that turns out, Bob
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Old wiring. Sometimes it looks ok and connected but it is bad at the connectors. It fools you. Hopefully thats the problem.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Well I'm a little embarassed, and a whole lot confused. Yesterday was a nice enough day to go to the shop bldg, and wiggle under the 411, and check out all of the alternator wires and connections. What's embarassing I noticed the wire from the alternator to the starter solonoid was not even connected to the solonoid. The connector for the wire was attached,but the wire had pulled lose, and was hanging loose. Not hanging down where it could be seen, but firmly it stayed up high. The end connector of the wire must not have been properly attached. Although some firm pressure had pulled it off. It's a wire with a round connector attachment.

Haven't made the repairs yet, I'll let you know how that turns out, Bob

Laughing Very Happy I have done that very thing!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Just want to report that I connected the alternator wire to the solenoid, and the alternator is working properly.

But wouldn't you know another problem showed-up. Now the emergency flasher won't turn off. It comes on when the ignition switch comes on and it can't be turned off. I can pull the fuse to get it off, but I haven't persued the problem yet. This could be a different thread. Bob
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Quote:
But wouldn't you know another problem showed-up. Now the emergency flasher won't turn off. It comes on when the ignition switch comes on and it can't be turned off. I can pull the fuse to get it off, but I haven't persued the problem yet. This could be a different thread. Bob

You may want to check the wires behind the dash (using a mirror really helps so you don't have to be upside down all the time). After reading this post, I'm suspecting that you may have knocked off a wire while fiddling with the alternator light. Try looking at the switch itself and then behind the speedo. That may be the culprit.

Good Luck!
-Ron
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Quwstion: Specs list a 50 amp alternator for this car. I installed a 55amp alter nator sometime back. Will that be ok?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
Quwstion: Specs list a 50 amp alternator for this car. I installed a 55amp alter nator sometime back. Will that be ok?

Perfectly fine!

Also check the relay for the turn signals/flashers. Ray
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Well the laugh is on me again. I have no flasher problem. all is working fine.

When you get my age your always grabbing ahold of things as you move about to assist movement and keep from falling. Well the back end of my car is up on work stands so i can get to the alternator connections. That makes it a little strained getting in and out of the front seat to start the engine and check things out. Well when doing so I discovered I was grabbing the stearing wheel and my fingers were extending down far enough to push the turn signal handel just far enough to make contack and not return to off. So when I turned the switch on the dash lights started flashing. On my car(for some reason) both left and right dash lights come on no matter which way your turning. So it looked like it was the flasher.

I'm sure none of you have had similar incidents while doctoring your Type 4, so go ahead and laugh. Bob
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

titan3c wrote:
...... On my car(for some reason) both left and right dash lights come on no matter which way your turning.....

That is how the lamps are supposed to work unless on model year -74 up where (from memory) the lamps are separated left and right.

Glad you found out the reason for your problems! Very Happy

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad

Last edited by Lars S on Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator dash light not on Reply with quote

Laughing is good medecine! Thanks for updating us.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: