Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 970, 971, 972 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Neat trick if you like to have mile-long straps. It is quicker to just throw the dead ends of the straps inside the car and close the door on them.

For my trailer, I only haul VWs, so I just cut my straps to the right length and threw out the ends that I would never use.

I usually roll it up similar to the video but with a slight larger loop. Flatten the loop, open the ratchet, tuck it through the ratchet 'handle' and close the ratchet. That way its locked by the ratchet and doesnt flap in the wind or slap on the side of the car from being tucked in a door etc. Works great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I put a zip tie around it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

We use Mac's for our tie downs. We have several kits to allow many different vehicle configurations on our different trailers.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
We use Mac's for our tie downs. We have several kits to allow many different vehicle configurations on our different trailers.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

Proudly made right here in North Idaho.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I'll add that you should always try to tie down the chassis to the trailer, not the body. Doing that allows the suspension of the vehicle being trailered to handle the bumps and dips.

Tying down from bumpers to the trailer or any other part of the car that sits above the suspension to the trailer means the straps will be alternately stressed and loosened as the trailer hits bumps and dips going down the road.

Best at a minimum to run a strap from the front beam to the trailer and a second one from the rear torsion tube to the trailer. Ideal would be a pair in the front and back.

Use straps to hold the body on the chassis, doors shut, or other loose parts from moving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Neat trick if you like to have mile-long straps. It is quicker to just throw the dead ends of the straps inside the car and close the door on them.

For my trailer, I only haul VWs, so I just cut my straps to the right length and threw out the ends that I would never use.

I have long straps for my truck and trailer and throw them inside and tie it off. Much easier for me since I sometimes use my trailer for other purposes than cars. I also added D-ring's to the center of the deck in case i'm tying off a car in pieces...LOL
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Just a thought, perhaps tie downs should be added to FAQ's Question

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

Ideal would be a pair in the front and back.

To be 50 states legal you need 4 straps and a safety chain. You don't want to be on the wrong side of Motor Carrier Enforcement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58slider wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More pics of the ramp truck and info about it plz.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

without actually knowing, my money is on a mid 70s squarebody

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
58slider wrote:

More pics of the ramp truck and info about it plz.

SCAB 4 Sale....it is SIKKK. thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The ramp truck is a 2015 Hodges hauler built on a 2015 4x4 chevy 3500 with a 6.0. It has hauled many vws and is perfect for what we do. Currently the scab is not for sale.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58slider wrote:
The ramp truck is a 2015 Hodges hauler built on a 2015 4x4 chevy 3500 with a 6.0. It has hauled many vws and is perfect for what we do. Currently the scab is not for sale.

i was close then. They've looked the same for 40 years.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AC Mack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

61 Kombi found in So Humboldt Co . Murder Mt. The infamous Blk Bus in the hills finally surfaces. After decades of stories of its existence.
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach fabrik 4864
1967 Model 231 EZ Kamper # 1940
1978 Westfalia P 31 / 1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
Long may that Split Bus run!
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
Pau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

wow! that's a shiny hubcap!
Thank you for sharing. Any other pictures?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Wow please share on this thread or a new one for the history of this Kombi. What is the original paint color?

AC Mack wrote:

61 Kombi found in So Humboldt Co . Murder Mt. The infamous Blk Bus in the hills finally surfaces. After decades of stories of its existence.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Adam47374
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Just found this bus digging around on FB Market place
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/706448447156166/
Not sure if it's already here or not, but getting ready to go home for the weekend, so here it is.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Adam47374 wrote:
Not sure if it's already here or not, but getting ready to go home for the weekend, so here it is.

It’s been on here for a while.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Adam47374 I hope you create a build thread for this beauty. I posed it in the thread Signwriting/logoed buses for motivation.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9838352#9838352

Adam47374 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Graysvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Yep, it’s another dumb YouTube video. Watch if you so desire, I did have a blast digging this one out and she’s already been put to use as my Honda mini bike garage. Maybe we’ll fix it one day.

1959 walkthrough, originally a Welcome Oil Burner Service/Texaco gas station logo bus. Driven to where it was parked and still had the original vw issued bias plys on it.

https://youtu.be/sLwai99dXfY

‘67 Mustang Fastback
‘82 Jeep Scrambler
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 970, 971, 972 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 971 of 990

Jump to: