Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Running issues Reply with quote

Is it normal for there always to be electrical continuity between the #1 (Neg.) post of the coil and ground? In short, a short? I didn't think it was and have been chasing some ongoing running issues for some time... I went to test the idle solenoid on the carb and it wouldn't click unless I detached the condenser wire from the coil and then it would behave normally; I don't recall it behaving like this before...

If I measure continuity I see 3.7 ohms between the condenser wire at the coil terminal and ground... (6V system). Is there a short in my distributor somehow?

Car runs great but has been quickly fouling plugs (sooting up) which I've been putting down to a weak spark but am really running out of ideas now. Once the plugs get cleaned up it runs beautifully again for a few days and then starts missing and stumbling from fouled plugs again. Really chasing my tail now...
restocal63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Running issues Reply with quote

Have you checked any issues with the carburation?

Is the inlet manifold heater tube clean and does it feel warm after starting up?

Do you have condensation at the base of the carburetor?

The above could possibly cause running issues as you mentioned below.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running issues Reply with quote

If you happen to measure continuity between Coil -1 and ground when the points are closed then yes there should be continuity.

Conversely, when the points are open there should be no continuity. That's what the distributor does, switch the coil on and off.

The fact that you get 3.7 ohms is likely due to dirty/worn points or poor ground inside the dist.

With the key on/engine off and coil powered at 15, and the points are closed, that is using up a lot of energy saturating the coil windings. In this state on a 6v system there may simply not be enough extra power to energize the solenoid.
However, with the engine running and GEN charging that problem probably doesn't exist.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Running issues Reply with quote

Just reporting back on this issue now that it looks to be resolved. It was a real head scratcher which sent me down a bunch of dead ends but eventually I found a small leak in one of the short pieces of vacuum hose connecting carb to vacuum can. Replaced that all all has been well.

I'm guessing it would advance normally under acceleration and then randomly lose vacuum under steady throttle; can anyone explain why this caused plugs to quickly foul like it was pig rich? Just misfiring/incomplete combustion from incorrect timing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: