Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

propane fridge help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: propane fridge help Reply with quote

I am reposting this from the Eurovan forum as I own a vanagon and a Eurovan and find that the folks in the Vanagon forum are much more responsive and usually come up with very well thought out answers. thanks for the help!

post 1

I have rehabed 2 Norcold fridges previously, going so far as to replace everything replaceable: the relighter board, jet, thermocouple, interrupter switch, etc. I am trying to fix a friends now. I replace the re-lighter board cleaned everything up. When I have the flame box off of the fridge and the gas hooked up it lights up right away like it should and when i blow out the flame it pops back on. It stayed lit for at least 20 minutes. perfect. as soon as I reconnect the box to the fridge it will light, and stay lit as long as I hold the red button in but when I release the button the flame goes out. I cleaned out the air vent and the exhaust really well so it shouldn't be that. seems like a thermocouple thing but it works great when it is not attached. Any help much appreciated.

post 2:

After working on it longer and researching a bit here are the facts:
the flame is snuffed when the burn box is attached to the fridge so there must be a air supply issue.
the air vent is clean, as is the flue.
the owner recently installed a new propane pressure regulator
It does not have the "high altitude kit" (an extra air vent). I live at 4000'
It previously worked with the old pressure regulator up to 7000'
it still burns perfectly when the box is in the open air

Could the new regulator be pushing too much propane requiring more air than it is designed for?
Any other ideas?
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

Blacque Jacque Shellacque!

Is the new regulator 11" WC (1/3 PSI)?
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

Is it possible the thermocouple is shorting to ground once you have everything back in the fridge?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

interesting questions. I will ask my buddy which regulator he put in.

How would the thermocouple short to ground? It looks like any other thermocouple, just a copper tube with an electrode on either end. as far as I can tell it isn't touching anything that would ground it.

When I put the box on the fridge slowly and peer in the sight window it looks like the flame slowly dies, like it is oxygen starved. If the propane pressure from the regulator is too high wouldn't that cause it to need more oxygen? maybe more than the one long vent tube could supply?
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

the pressure is indeed 11" W.C.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

i don't know if you have a 12v (or 110v) option, but my easy-propane-fridge method is to turn on 12v while driving, then as soon as i stop, i put it on propane. the 12v heats up the chimney and then it will usually light the first try and stays lit for the rest of the trip.

could be many other things of course, but this was the most important thing for me.
Blaque Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

got it figured out. The pressure was too high with a new regulator, even though it was of the proper specs. I think with a high altitude kit it would have been OK but at 4000' it wasn't getting enough air through the vent to keep the flame going. I turned down the pressure with the adjustment screw (after researching online) and that did the trick! Been holding flame for 2 hrs and the fridge is nice and cold.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

Well sleuthed and sorted. Smile
chris homel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 1984 Westy with an 85 fridge. I've hooked everything up with new copper lines feeding the fridge. It's getting gas with no problem and wants to light. I can see the flame "popping" (through the viewing hole) but it just won't stay lit. At least I can't see that it is. Does anyone have a possible solve? Maybe the pressure issue? By the way, it works no problem plugged into 12v.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

Exhaust is not plugged?
If it pops but doesn't stay lit, it means there is too much propane in the combustion chamber. Not enough air. Have you tried the usual tricks? Running it on 110V for a few hours prior, blowing air through the drain pipe under the fridge, taking the combustion chamber apart to clean it, etc?
chris homel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

I'm trying the 110v now. Letting it work for a little bit, before I try lighting again. I'll throw the drain plug thing in too. Missing the drain plug though. I assume that's not an issue? If those don't work I'll take the exhaust apart tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it works out.
I'm new to the Westy world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: propane fridge help Reply with quote

Welcome then!

You sure you have propane, and the valve outside is open? Before starting the fridge, turn the stove on for 30 seconds, to get some propane in the lines, just in case.

Here's some reading:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459588
http://frankcondelli.com/fridge.htm

Check the forum's FAQ, there might be other helpful links, especially with pictures. Check youtube too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: