Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

TechionDigit,

Hi, and thanks for the kind words. I know exactly how you feel....some crazy guy with "Pie in the Sky" ideas and no skills = A bastardized mess of a car that is destined for the scrap heap. I'm hoping that's not gonna be me. Pray Pray

Anyway, those wheels. I had never seen those before I got the Donor car. I didn't like them initially, but they have since grown on me! My plan is to paint the turbines the same color as the finished car and shine up the outer rings. I also got curious as to what they were(maybe worth some money). I found a set for sale in the Classifieds a while back. They were listed as "Westerns". Not very much money. Crying or Very sad
I still like them though.

Thanks for looking!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Hey, I'm alive. With family and work stuff still playing havoc with my Psyche, it's been really hard for me to get my head back in the game. I again, forced myself to get out there and I removed the seats. As I consider them done and don't wanna damage them with the continuing work. I was so proud of myself for just getting that done....I had to take a picture!

That was it for the day. It took about 15 minutes and then I was drained of mental energy Crying or Very sad .
The next day, I forced a little more work outta myself. I used the cardboard template from the Driver's side window crank plate to make the Passenger side by flipping it over to mirror the other side. I got it all drilled, counter sunk and screwed in.

Trying to keep the momentum going, I also cut the Door Handle plate. Again using the Driver's side template. Still more work on those, but I'll try to keep in the fight.

plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Good job getting out there! I feel you with your work/life balance issues.

Keep up the good work, I just started watching this thread, you have so much work into that car, I can feel your desire to blast that around!
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks PLASTIK,
If you remember, I started this project in late 2014 and only started this build thread in 2019. During those first five years, I had a lot of long breaks in the work. It is really helpful for me to receive feedback from TheSamba members like yourself and others. Just knowing that there are others out there that can feel my pain and give me encouragement and insight is AWESOME!!

It makes me feel that I gotta give back by making sure there is a happy ending to this story. A lot of builds kinda just trail off or stop all together. Leaving me with no closure. I'm selfish that way Wink

Anyway, thanks again!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Forward progress Jellyman (from Finding Nemo)! It just hit me!

That is what counts, because all those little steps add up to a big one!

Now, go to work. Then on the weekend, after playing with the kids and talking to the Mrs. get out there and get something more done. THEN POST IT UP!

You have to, because I am still hurting. Finally went to the Doc. They told me to stop moving and let my muscles heal. That ain’t going to happen! Man has to make a living, plus I have parts to buy!

Good luck! This is me pushing you off the couch!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Awwrighty then! I apologize for the break. I feel guilty after having just posted, promising to not give up on this build. Things got to be too much at home and I had to move to an apartment for my peace of mind and SANITY.

The wife and I are great, so no worries. It's my twins with emotional issues. I know this is not a Therapy site. The reason I mention it, is I only come home on the weekends. So, my usual Bug schedule of squeezing in a few hours during the week days before work, will now be concentrated only into what ever I can get done on the weekend. -BUMMER-

Especially, when the wife and Mother-in-law have been saving up things for me to do all week long! But, hey...we take what we can get. So, I tried to go hard this weekend.

I went at the Passenger door latch and receiver bolt. On the Driver's side I was very concerned about every thing fitting in the door. So, I went slow and started by fitting the Latch first. This made aligning the Bolt a little difficult. This time, I measured and installed the bolt first. You'll see...Much easier.

Started with measuring the Bolt location as compared to the Driver's side. Then marking the trim lines for the Bolt Plate.

Centered the Bolt Plate and marked and-CUT IT OUT.

There's that inner reinforcement plate. I made the relief cut, then hammered and chiseled the area where the capture nut cage will sit. Sprayed in some Zinc Weld-through.

Fitted the Plate with my El-cheapo magnets and welded 'um up real slow. You may notice the messed up areas above and below. The depressions and misshapen spots. These were the weld points for the "12 point" supports for the body when I removed the Heater Channels. I was young and inexperienced at the time.
Yes, I was "YOUNG" when I started this Build!

Grinded 'um up and sprayed some primer.

Put the Receiving Bolt in and marked the location on the door jam. Trimmed the Latch Plate to fit and lined it up with the Bolt mark. Then, outlined the cut line for the jam.

Cut out the skin to reveal the inner Reinforcement plate. Then, I cut that out too. Did a quick fitting check and sprayed the Zinc Weld-Through all in there.

Again with the Cheapo magnets and the slow spot welds....round and around , waiting for it to cool in between rounds.

While waiting for the cooling, I glanced over to the Driver's side. I got a little depressed looking at all the work that I still had to do to this door. I decide to take a smoke break. I walked over to my little hobby welder to turn off the gas, and I noticed the gauge was buried at zero. You might remember that I had mentioned that I needed to get gas and was wondering if they were open because of the 4th of July Holiday. Well, I never went!! The Regulator still showed pressure, but I was on borrowed time. I crossed my fingers and forgot all about how much more work on this door I had to do.

I just made it!! The gas ran out just at the last filler spot welds. No big deal, I just hate being interrupted in the middle of a task, to go get supplies.

It's a little bottle but, I usually just have to refill about once a year.

Anyway, Whew!!
I continued on with the grinding and primer. I ran outta time, as I still have to make the relief cut on the inner door skin for the Latch release arm on the Latch itself. But, I was able to check the alignment when the door is closed.
Not bad progress in a day for me. I move like an Ox grazing in a meadow! Anxious

r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Awesome work. I'm sorry you got a little situation but as long as you get your therapy in the garage perhaps all the pieces will fall into place. I was just getting ready to accept my transmission in a week or two and then found myself on a very fast moving contract so now I'm overseas for several months. I'll live vicariously through everyone else's posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Jellyman - I like seeing progress! Very nice! Damn gas bottles- always going empty when you are just getting into the groove! Time for the next size up, I say!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Well, I got my Gas bottle refilled. Every time I go, I think I won't be as shocked about the price, as the last time. WRONG! The clerk said that'll be $290. I was like Holy Smokes! It's a 60, as seen in the last pic. The price just keeps getting higher and higher. Hazmat Fee, Storage Fee, Taxes, etc... I'm used to stuff costing more in the islands, so I hope it's cheaper in the Continental states.

Enough of my grumbling. Just thought I'd share to make all of you feel better about your situation. I was able to grab a few hours yesterday, while the Beers were chilling. I cut out the relief hole for Latch arm in the inner door skin and test fitted again.

Adjusted the Latch Bolt and checked the door gap when closed tight. Looks good to me!

So, you remember that I had to relocate the Power Solenoid Latch release arm to operate on the inside of the inner door skin. On the passenger side, I had moved it out, then back in when I found that it did not work. With this lesson in mind, it was easier to do it right the first time. I just needed to move the one arm inboard. I cut off that one and used a scrap piece to weld on.

After cleaning and trimming, I welded the arm back in at the lower position and test fitted. I was gonna then clean up the welds BUT, wouldn't you know, The beers were Ice Cold now. I'll see if I can finish up tomorrow.

MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

And thanks guys. Yup JIMBO, I larger bottle would make it a long ways for me. But, I think I might have a CORONARY, when they tell me what it costs. Evil or Very Mad
I seriously cant' wait to see how much it'll be next year!

Thanks for the encuragement R6Kid! But, Damn! I could really use an overseas trip right about now, even with everything going on in the world at the moment. And, your getting PAID!

You are living the LIFE!

Aloha, Bruthas
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Today I got up a little early and went outside. Nope, not to the Bug. To do some yardwork my Mother in-law had asked me to take care of. I love that lady. Very Happy So, of course what ever she wants is Top Priority.

Then, TO THE BUG!

I cleaned up the welded latch and gave the area little Primer and Paint.

While waiting for that to dry, I flipped the Driver's side window around and checked to see how it would fit in the Passenger side. It was pretty close. It was hard to tell, because I just taped it to the top and it wouldn't quite stay put. I just wanted to check if the two sides were close to symmetrical. You know, I am still afraid that my chop was lop-sided or something.

Anyways, it's gotta all be custom anyway. I'm not that good, where parts are interchangeable. So to make sure I get an accurate fit for the front window, I gotta do the back first. Here's the stock starting point. Then, up against the opening and next to the other side.

I made some measurements. The first order of business is the front vertical "B" pillar. I made the cuts and "welded" it back together. I didn't take any photos of the "welds". They were the same ugly things as the other side. I cleaned them up and made some relief cuts along the back curve. That space is now 9-3/4" high. JUST LIKE THE OTHER SIDE! Thank goodness for Miracles. Pray Pray

With the all the relief cuts in, I clamped it into the opening and I will put some tack welds in tomorrow. Maybe sitting like that overnight, will make it relax into that shape Wink

I almost forgot, the paint dried on the latch.

MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow didn't work out. So, I got to it this past weekend. I guess taking a break between doors was a good thing. I was getting my butt handed to me with "Brazing" the window frames last time. When that happens to me, my brain usually shuts down with the frustration and I don't work the problem. Of course, the real problem was...I was too cheap to acquire the correct equipment, ie...an Acetylene torch
(even a small one costs about $240) or 100% Argon (another $290) for the Bronze MIG WIRE I had bought.

So with a clearer mind, I was able to dial in my little Hobby Welder. It actually is welding now. Melting the frame and puddling in with the Bronze wire. Still horribly ugly, because of the Co2/Argon mix gas. But, it's "Strong Like Bull" (quote from "French Kiss" with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan). However, to get the heat right, the wire speed needs to be rather fast. That leaves a heavy bead that I gotta grind down. Oh well, it's satisfactory for me.

Enough reading already!

I used my 4-1/2" cutting wheel to take down those big globs of bronze. Then the Dremel with grinding wheel and finished with the MMM Rust and Paint remover pad.

Here you can see the weld through into the inner channel. Still gotta touch up but, like I said I'm please with the strength.

I went back for a test fitting. Looked alright.

I moved on to the front window. Here's the stock window. It turned out to be from the Donor car. It was the first one I came across in my pile of parts and I was NOT gonna go back in there to find the original one (Spiders!).

I had a real hard time getting the channel off the Dirver's side. So, I guess it was a good thing that this was from the Donor car, because the rubber was so rotten it came right off. Then I got the Vent window frame out and I found that the bottom frame was cracked clean through. No problem though, I'm not using that portion.

Disassembled and cut off the front part of the channel that I'll be using.

The mirror was in really good shape! A little polishing and it'll look brand new!!

Well, except the actual mirror. But, that can be replaced. I'm not using this style of mirror though. I'm going with the quarter panel mounted "Gooseneck" ones. I didn't want anything at the end of the
suicide doors to get in the way. I'm hoping that it won't look too outta place on a later Super.

I fitted the pieces into the door opening. With the chop, I needed an extension for the window frame. It's probably about 3" to 3-1/2" extension.

Marked out a piece and cut it out. I grinded down the chrome for the welding. The swivel screw hole for the vent window also needed plug to fill that.

Welded those up as best I could. I probably shouldda made a jig or something, but I'm starting to just "wing it" again. Freestyling gets things done in a hurry. Until, something goes wrong, that is. Wink

Luckily, I didn't get hurt this time and I did another fitting. Next is a little extension channel at the front and some pinhole filling. Then, I can make the Hardboard windows and fit it all together. Until, next time. VW Logo

[/u]
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Everything about this build is awesome. It rivals the epic lead sled builds of prior generations. Everything your eyes rest on is custom, hand fabricated art.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

🤪 What can I say, you're too kind.
Just an average Joe trying to make his way to completion.

Then on to the NEXT PROJECT. HAH!
Can't cure stupid. Just gotta live with myself.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

It's been a little over 6 weeks since any real work has been done. I was doing okay until, I ran into my good friend, "Analysis Paralysis". As the last picture showed, there was a little bit of a spacing problem where the rear window frame meets the front window frame. It's not terrible, there is a window seal that goes there.

MACJELLY58 wrote:

[/u]

Then, I noticed that the rear top of the door didn't look like it would seal correctly to the rear jam. I compared it to the Driver's side and that side looked like it mated a lot better.

Passenger Side:

Driver's Side:

So, if you've noticed anything about my style...My first response is to cut it up!! I was able to cool my Jets and take a step back for some investigation. I searched the Gallery for reference photos. I found several and they appeared to look just like mine. One side tight and the other not so tight. Not a real answer there. With the holidays upon us, I kinda got into a mental
paralysis as to what I should do. I told a friend at work about my quandary, basically, I that I didn't know what it should look like. Then, he said something profound in it's truthful simplicity.
He said, " Well, what do you want it to look like?"

BAM!! I was back in business. All the crap that I have done to this poor car and I was worried about it looking stock! HAH!

So, I went with a plan to copy the fit of the tighter Driver's side. But before cutting it up, I would try adjusting the doors to see if I could tighten it up a bit. That's when I noticed that the upper half of the rear door jam kinda sucked into the jam. I used the template tool to get a better idea of the degree of the difference. I will have to get some washer/spacers to see if I can get the top hinge to "push" out the upper half of the door.

Oh well, I went back to problem #1. This was the door that I had stepped on and ended up bending it in the middle. There was still a little of a bend left so, I went to straightening that out a bit to see if that would help.

Before:

Then some pulling.

A little better, I guess.

Then, I adjusted the door to the rear as much as possible. The gaps are not very even but, I wanted to see if the seal would be better. A little better but it looks like I will end up having to cut it up in the end. Like I said, not much actual work was done but, I'm getting closer...Maybe Confused

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and those around you!

“Not much actual work was done….”

That is wisdom under the surface of those words! Read it again!

Dude, it has gotten further in a few sessions than before when you would just cut and tack. Then walk away, come back and cut. Then, realign and tack. Repeat.…repeat.

Looks really good Jellyman! You have come a long ways!

FWIW, I just went up another size in the bottles. Had the 80 and just moved into a 125! I think that is the next one up. I added in, manufacturing steel gates for work, so I am blowing through the gas!

Keep it going braughter! That last segment is looking TIGHT!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks Bruddah JIMBO!

Your words are inspiring, but seeing you attack your door problems with such finesse has got me going again.

Misery loves company, as they say. HAH!!
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

So, thanks to JIMBO'S thread and the three day weekend (Thanks, M.L.K.), I was able to get a few hours in on the project.

I decided to cut and reposition the offending rear corner of the Passenger door. The window opening measurement was good, so I'll just be moving the seal channel which would not affect the work on the windows. So, as I like to do...I will save that for later, when I body-work the door.

To continue, I first had to realign the door gaps back to almost good.

Then, back to the window frame Fabrication. I still had to weld on the last piece to the front window frame. Got a scrap frame piece, then I laid it out on the Driver's side frame to match it up.

Another UGLY gob. Then all cleaned up.

Marked and cut out the Mock Hardboard windows for both the front window and the rear quarter window. A quick test fit for the quarter. It's a little wavy there at the top, but nothing a few wacks won't fix.

You can also see my cut marks for the seal channel fix there on the door.

I had made the quarter window mounting channels for both sides earlier. So, that was a jump starter! Now, I needed to install that channel. I measured the Driver's side holes and transferred them over to the Passenger side. Drilled the holes and did a test fit again.

That was acceptable!! Next, on to the '68 window regulator. I made another set of the bottom mounting tabs and transferred the measurements from the other side.

Did the same for the Regulator bottom where they bolt on to.

I don't know if I mentioned that these are Jbugs aftermarket Regulators. They are okay so far. Of coarse, O.E.M. is the best option for parts and I did buy a set here on TheSamba. Since I had to modify the Regulators, I thought I would use the aftermarket ones for now. Here's a pic of the O.E.M. used ones I got.

Slipped in the Regulator and bolted up the bottom mounts. So far, so good.

Now next time, I need to finesse the Regulator to fit snugly to the door and I can finish that up.
Aloha.

Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

this entire build = OMG Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks WEEZLE!

I say the same thing every time I go out to the garage. Except, my expression is a little different. It's more like, OH....MY....GOD!! Evil or Very Mad

Seriously though, I'm humbled that you have taken an interest. With very few 1303 Convertible threads active, I have been following your exploits. First that B...E...A...Utiful Gump car, and now the Radical Lieutenant!

So jealous Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 21

Jump to: