Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

I have an 87 Westy and have been struggling with my slider door off and on for a few years now. It will randomly pop open at inopportune times. I put new springs in the locking mechanism, adjusted the upper and back hinge and moved the striker bar that the lock catches onto. And while slightly better, it still pops open more than I would like (and now seems to be able to open from the outside when locked).

Because the door was hanging off kilter a bit and there was a visible outward gap between the door and surrounding panels, I decided to replace the sliding door hinge mechanism at the back of the door today with a factory replacement from Go Westy (the OG plastic piece in the center post of the spring was cracked). After installing and rehanging, now the door won’t even close- the top of the door trim is rubbing against the door frame and the back is higher than the front by probably 1/4”. I seem to have tried everything and am stymied. Any advice on adjusting the height or orientation of the door so it hangs and closes as it should?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

Have you got the right part? There were two different latches. Don't remember the date change off hand, but there are topics here covering it.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

I would first visually examine the latch to make sure they are identical.

Then pull out the Bentley, they have a write up on adjusting the doors.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

I have the right part. I will also look into the Bentley section. Here are a few pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

Judging by the clearance between the upper edge of mounting plate to the opening in the tin compared with the bottom, the plate is bolted too low forcing the door up. Are the bolt holes not ovoid to allow adjustment? You could chew away at the upper arcs of the bolt holes and get the door to drop lower. But that is not right. There is something fishy here unless you don't have the mounting bolts at their highest position.

This is mine. The only thing I see different is the shape of the door tin between the two mounting bolts. The wedge shape is skinnier on mine. Yours is definitely not like my '91. But I also note that there are two coils on the spring before the upper edge of the mounting plate on yours, whereas I only have one.

Not sure this helps at all.

Duncan
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

Duncan, thank you for the comparison. I don’t think mine is far off from yours in term is positioning- I think my phone was taking the photo from a slightly different angle. I just can’t comprehend how to get the hinge end of the door lower than it is currently sitting. It needs to shift downward about 1/4 inch. But the bracket/ bolt sockets don’t have enough play to accommodate that much extra room to lower the door. I am hitting the rain channel under the pop top with the trim of my door on the back 1/3 of the door and it is about 1/2 inch too low in the front of the door. I’ve tried adjusting the bracket at the front of the door as well.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

If you want to keep the hardware you have, open up the holes and let the back hinge slide up and drop the roller bracket by a half.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

I had already “fixed” my slider several years ago with new springs and cleaning when it suddenly the slider started to open at random a week ago. This time I went full Monty with the full gowesty kit.

After the install the Door has closed tighter than ever.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/lock-latch/25454/sliding-door-latch-full-rebuild-bundle?v=

I spent more time using a magnet to find the pull-rod circa clip(s) in the gravel than I did on the kit install. Yes. I dropped both!!! Yes. I was laser focused on not letting them tiddlywink into my seeing holes or fall onto the ground. And Yes. I may be a moron.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door adjustment/ troubleshooting Reply with quote

I went through a similar journey, but didn't fix it until I replaced the rear latch mechanism. Examine the rear latch from the inside when closed. It may not align or it may only catch the 1st latch hook, not the second one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ults=posts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: