Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reinzosil vs Yamabond
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Hi Guys;

In my local Yamaha store Yamabond seal not in stock...I dont want seal the cases with simple RTV ...Find another alternative Reinzosil:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Victor Reinz "Reinzosil" 70ml Engine Gasket Sealer Anthracite + 300 Degrees C
Extremely high stability at high temperatures
Solvent-free
Permanently elastic
Fast-hardening silicon
High thermal stability from -50c to 300c
Very good durability against internal combustion fuels and diesel fuels, bio-diesel, oil, grease, lubricants, water, seawater, sunlight etc
Particularly intended for sealing all surfaces in engines, gearboxes and axles, and also for cylinder liners and synthetic housings.
Very suitable for uneven and rough surfaces.
All-purpose application for use with all makes of engines and vehicles.

This product Is fine for seal the cases??.. Similar to Yamabond??

Any experiences??

Best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Victor Reinz products are of exellent quality fo the most part, I would not hesitate to use, but not THAT to seal the CASE, it's for the cylinder bases.

For the cases, I like Curil K-2.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

You would be better going with something NOT RTV based... RTV's are best for sealing cylinder bases and then applied in sparce amounts, like a bead the size of a pencil lead around base of cylinder.... Remember you are only trying to seal against oil seeping from slight imperfection in machining of bottom of cylinder to case...

Yes there are 1000 products out there to seal cases but one of the old standby is something almost ever auto parts store has...

Non-hardening of course....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

funny that case sealers have never been discussed before..
Rolling Eyes
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Honda bond seems just the same as the Yamaha stuff. Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

I like the gelseal (gell locktight) it not only seals the case halvs but it also helps hold the case in place so they dont fret under higher power levels. the other stuff can let the cases move around and fret. I wont use that nasty black spermetex.although mercury racing has a sealer(perfect seal) that looks a lot like that crap but is awesome for sealing stuff, comes off eazer and drys almost like rubber. what ever you use be sure it's all clean and oil free and is ready to bolt togeather as some can start setting up and create a gap in the case halvs due to thickness and...that aint good.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I like the gelseal (gell locktight) it not only seals the case halvs but it also helps hold the case in place so they dont fret under higher power levels. the other stuff can let the cases move around and fret. I wont use that nasty black spermetex.although mercury racing has a sealer(perfect seal) that looks a lot like that crap but is awesome for sealing stuff, comes off eazer and drys almost like rubber. what ever you use be sure it's all clean and oil free and is ready to bolt togeather as some can start setting up and create a gap in the case halvs due to thickness and...that aint good.

My understanding is no amount of "glue", short of some epoxy, maybe, is going to stop the case halves from moving, and when they do, they will turn hardening compuonds to dust...again, my "understanding"... Laughing
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Honda/ Yama/ threebond all have several formulas. Just saying the brand name is not specific enough. Some are silicone based, some not, and other differences
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Yamabond 5 and Reinzosil RTV bases formula definitly!!.....Then what difference have it with economic RTV grey??....Only the trade mark??... I dont know!!....Maybe Yamabond 6B is a good alternative but is to expensive!! Sad

It seems hardening, elasticity, solvents and temps resistance are the important points to considerer... Anyway I have seen many aircooled enthusiasts using simple gray RTV without problems in the time, but the risk is that the internal surpluses block the oil galleys and engines die.

I used in the past for years a similar "honey glue Perfect circle" before, but do not sell it anymore.

I wil try to find Permatex aviation, at moment only sell in my local store Permatex 1 and 2....But Permatex aviation "non hardening" is not the same or similar Formula to Permatex 2??...Maybe the first is more liquid than the other?...Both resist high temps fine??

I have very good references with Curil T but I would have to import it.

My best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
Yamabond 5 and Reinzosil RTV bases formula definitly!!.....Then what difference have it with economic RTV grey??....Only the trade mark??... I dont know!!....Maybe Yamabond 6B is a good alternative but is to expensive!! Sad

It seems hardening, elasticity, solvents and temps resistance are the important points to considerer... Anyway I have seen many aircooled enthusiasts using simple gray RTV without problems in the time, but the risk is that the internal surpluses block the oil galleys and engines die.

I used in the past for years a similar "honey glue Perfect circle" before, but do not sell it anymore.

I wil try to find Permatex aviation, at moment only sell in my local store Permatex 1 and 2....But Permatex aviation "non hardening" is not the same or similar Formula to Permatex 2??...Maybe the first is more liquid than the other?...Both resist high temps fine??

I have very good references with Curil T but I would have to import it.

My best.

You seen enthusiests use RTV to seal case halves? Those arnt enthusiests. You dont need to fill gaps when your sealing case halves. Rtv is too thick and thats just Ghetto.

Thin, non-hardening, fuel resistant, are things to consider for case halves.

The below is Hylomar blue equivilant that you should see at your parts store. Perfect for case halves. I switched from Aviation to this stuff.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Looks like a real good seal!!...IŽll try to find in my country!!

Thanks
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

I dont know whats available in Chile man. But if you can find Loctite 518 or 515 I have heard they work well.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Just for sale in my country this two permatex flange sealant....51813 and 51531....
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:

My best.
Yes, SAME THING Very Happy
Permatex #2 is ok, just a little too thick. Thin slightly with alcohol and it becomes #3, which is what many use.
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
You would be better going with something NOT RTV based... RTV's are best for sealing cylinder bases and then applied in sparce amounts, like a bead the size of a pencil lead around base of cylinder.... Remember you are only trying to seal against oil seeping from slight imperfection in machining of bottom of cylinder to case...

Yes there are 1000 products out there to seal cases but one of the old standby is something almost ever auto parts store has...

Non-hardening of course....

Dale

I was watching permatex aviation sealing compound, but this product is not similar to the classic liquid Indian Gasket ??.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

You can use whatever you like along the bottom edge of the sump, and the top seam. IMO it is important to use a NON-HARDENING sealer near the bearings because the type-1 engine may not fully close the gaps by the main bearings until it has gone through several heat cycles.
This is because the main studs are large diameter (not very springy) and only tighten halfway at room temperature. think about it. the main studs are as big as your wheel bolts so why only 20 ft-lb?
At running temp, gets hot, the mag expands 2.5X faster than the steel so the main studs are now very tight when the engine is hot. If you want to use a 518 sealant on the case all the way around IMO.....tighten main studs to 35-40 ft-lb, then let it cure for a few hours, then loosen and re-tighten to 20-25 ft-lb, MAYBE that will work. Run a wire brush over the surfaces before applying the 518 sealant to break through the oxide layer slightly and then will need no primer. The instructions will say you need to use a primer on mag/aluminum but BE CAREFUL as the primer may make it cure too fast, and will harden before the bolts are tightened.

What is better...no leaks? or Loose bearings? I'll take leaks. VW enthusiasts spend way too much time thinking about this and end up worse than using nothing. the permatex #3 is good choice because it can do no harm. Is it the best? no, but it works OK,and won't bite you in the ass. If the surfaces are nice and flat it won't leak. I sealed my case it with ketchup as a joke, 7? years ago. It isn't leaking very much today. I don't need to add any oil between changes. If it was completely oil tight it would rot anyway Laughing Sometimes the case is porous and they leak right through the metal.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

I want to try this stuff: Optimum Grey Gasket Maker, Permatex it's higher Temperature than Ultra Gray.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

"Rigid torque" means it has grit in it so it won't squeeze too thin
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

I have always wondered about using the silk thread method like they do on some aircraft engines, what do they use to hold it in place with though?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinzosil vs Yamabond Reply with quote

The oldtimers i knew used Indian head shellac and iv used it for decades and engines i built 15yrs ago is still dry at the case seams,the only thing its thick so one side of the case is all i put it on and then i take a tough paper towel and smooth it over but it dont leave alot of time to assemble and it use to be .50 a bottle now its 5-6 a bottle,permatex makes it.

I know theres better stuff out there these days but i still use it because it works for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: