Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Greetings!

I've been playing around with creating replica new car window stickers (Monroney type) like came on our vans when they were on the dealer lot. I don't have one of these for either of my vans.

Now, thinking beyond my own interest in this, I'd like to gauge interest to see if other Vanagon owners might want a replica window sticker for their van too. These would be hand-customized to match your van with VIN, options, and other data known about your van.

If available, would you buy one?
What would you pay for a professionally sticker sent to you?

Sample:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

i'd be interested and if it were a dead nuts 100% correct reproduction i'd pay 100-120 for one

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

are they historically accurate or just filling random info?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i'd be interested and if it were a dead nuts 100% correct reproduction i'd pay 100-120 for one

I'm afraid they are not exactly "dead nuts". I'm not intending to make forgeries.
A few issues:
1. VW's font's changes slightly and I'll need to pick one and stick with it to produce each replica in a reasonable amount of time.
2. The paper VW used was quite thin dot-matrix computer paper that is not really available and if found would not go through a modern printer well. The paper I'd use is much better quality, but no one could pass off a replica as genuine since the paper will give it away. Not my intention to fool anyone, just provide a replica.
3. There's a few other differences, like the sticky glue strips that once held it to the window are printed onto the replica, not actual glue.

Mateo83 wrote:
are they historically accurate or just filling random info?

As accurate as practical. Some info may not be known like
"Port of Entry", "Sold To" and "Ship To" dealer info. Also, there's a few places around the actual sticker with random-seeming numbers. There's no telling what the source of these are, so they'd likely all be the same on the replicas.

From the window stickers I have (about 55 images and hard-copies total), I can find pretty much every option and how VW described it on their sticker for each year. Although there's several early years where I don't have a sticker (1980-83), so I could not make any replicas for those years at this time.

Each sticker replica would be modeled after that year's original sticker. One big change was mid-1990 where the entire size and layout of the sticker changed. I'd need to make an "early" / "late decision by VIN to guess which format a 1990 originally had.

See the picture of the replica sample I originally posted for an example of the look of the stickers. Pretty similar for 1985 through early 1991 and I'd use a template that's right for each year.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:

Last edited by SyncroHead on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Interesting idea.

My struggle is with the unknowns,

For many of us who have examined the metal plate under the seat or have the paper dash sticker and tried to figure out everything noted on them...... we fail.

We get most of the codes deciphered but there seem to always be one or two that just defy all attempts at identification.

How can you make an accurate window sticker without knowing what options the unit was built with?

Even many "birth certificates" people purchase list some M codes as "unknown".

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Interesting idea.

For many of us who have examined the metal plate under the seat or have the paper dash sticker and tried to figure out everything noted on them...... we fail.

We get most of the codes deciphered but there seem to always be one or two that just defy all attempts at identification.

How can you make an accurate window sticker without knowing what options the unit was built with?

Dave

I am sure he can make it as accurate as the information you give him. Unless his ESP is working really well that day....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Interesting idea.

Dave

I am sure he can make it as accurate as the information you give him. Unless his ESP is working really well that day....

I agree, I'm sure he will make it the best possible, but my stumbling block is that it won't accurate.
I could make a replacement paper dash sticker to replace the long ago vanished one for my 86 ....... but it won't be accurate.

It may be just me...... but knowing the window sticker is but a copy, a good but not perfect copy, would bother me.

Others would be thrilled to have one I'm sure.
I'm just expressing my reservations.
Anyway...... To answer the question?
No, I'm not a potential customer.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

My info.

Can you fill in all the blanks?
I've done most of them.
Some of the identified ones are ambiguous, like the radio.... which radio? The interior color...... what color? Package codes? What is in those packages?

If you can...... I'll change my mind.

Edit, paper M Plate just found 12/26/2021

4980 - control #
30-4-0376 - 30th week, 4th day of week….. German calendar July 27,1989
0376 - # unit assembled that day
409 - ?
9 - ?
UW - US port of entry Washington DC
WV2Y89254LH002623 - chassis #
255 - Vanagon LHD
4C3 - US spec Vanagon
MV - motor 2.1
NK - auto trans
LC3Y - Bordeaux red
HH - Interior
RFD - Radio type
U22 - ?
U25 - 025 trip odometer?
W90 - unit specific info, package code?
W93 - unit specific info, package code?
573 - Air Conditioning
685 - Center 2 seat bench seat, folding backrest
950 - Wheel trims (253-256)
998 - Exterior mirror (Convex), heated and electric operated (passenger side) Exterior Mirror (Flat), heated and elec operated (drivers side)

This plate has many codes not identified......
On the in board side of the inner drivers seat frame I found the ID plate.
It gives me some basic information such as color........
9082 = LC3Y = Bordeaux Red Pearl
058 = Bumper & Spoiler like Carat model
526 = Luxury Version Caravelle
30 = AM/FM Stereo Cassette, Auto Reverse, 4 speakers
002 623 = chassis #
LH = ?? Left hand drive ???
5 = ?
4 = ?
2554 = ?
C3 = ?
GR = ?
HH = ?? Interior trim

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Interesting idea.

Dave

First, this is limited to USA vans only. The replica customer would need to provide info letting me know what options the van has that they believe were original. Color, fabrics, power windows, etc. Also, their VIN of course.
From that, I could make a replica window sticker that depicts how this would appear on an original window sticker, modeled after other of the same year.

I might get requests for a 1985 replica where the owner says it has a 2.1L engine and alloy wheels and of course it was not originally produced that way. I'd would intend to filter out the things that a certain year or model could not have had.

The option code stickers include a lot of items that are not on a window sticker. This includes things like "Left hand drive", "Speedometer unit in Miles and MPH", "USA EPA Emissions Certs", "3-point seat Belts". There are a lot of details that go into constructing the car to a particular spec, that just don't appear on a window sticker, and I wouldn't need to be concerned with details that are not relevant to the window sticker. The window sticker does not contain any option "codes", just the description of how the van was equipped.

Some items may not be known by the owner like the owner like the original dealer. We can pick one the owner might think most likely and use that info. Again, this is not meant to be a window sticker forgery, but more of a fun-to-have accessory.

Hope this is of interest to some.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:

Last edited by SyncroHead on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

The LH is part of the chassis number.

L = 1990 model year
H = Hannover Factory

Mark

djkeev wrote:
My info.

Can you fill in all the blanks?
I've done most of them.
On the in board side of the inner drivers seat frame I found the ID plate.
It gives me some basic information such as color........

002 623 = chassis #
LH = ?? Left hand drive ???

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Great idea, Jim. I would suggest a standardized “information form” that we could use to provide as many useable data points for that year’s window sticker as possible.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
30-4-0376 - 30th week, 4th day of week….. German calendar July 27,1989

255 - Vanagon LHD
4C3 - US spec Vanagon

This plate has many codes not identified......

30 = AM/FM Stereo Cassette, Auto Reverse, 4 speakers
4 = ?

2554 = ?
C3 = ?

Look more closely, Dave, and you'll see that the metal and paper "tags" have the same data, just not in the same exact format.

PKN, aka build date: 30 4 0376
Type: 255 4C3
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Great idea, Jim. I would suggest a standardized “information form” that we could use to provide as many useable data points for that year’s window sticker as possible.

Thanks Red!
Yes, I'd need to come up with an easy, standardized way for owners to describe the information on their van that would go on the replica window sticker.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Generally, no one needs to know how all the codes pertain to build specs in order to create a replica window sticker.

If someone tells me it's 1986, brown, tan interior, tachometer, has power mirrors, etc. - that's the info I'd need to complete the standard equipment, options, and pricing sections of the replica.

This leaves the seemingly random numbers across the bottom (that I presume few would care about), and the delivery information, like port of entry and dealer info at the top. If an owner didn't know these, and would be satisfied with reasonable guesses for these the whole replica would be very close, but not a "forgery". I'm not hoping to create a historical document, just a fun "accessory".

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

I have the original monroney sticker from a couple of my vans, literally never look at them Eh?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Careful, VWoA has sued many for copyright and intellectual property infringement in the past.

At one time they stopped vendors from selling reproduction hubcaps with the VW logo on them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I have the original monroney sticker from a couple of my vans, literally never look at them Eh?

I'd love to borrow them, scan them and return them.

The images would join the rest of the collection online at www.Vanagons.org

I've borrowed in the past and always faithfully returned them 100%.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Guess I'm not a customer, because:
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Although it got cropped, the VIN is a match. Note Fahrvergnugen is free. They may think so, but I've found it's far from free.

Duncan
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

I’ll guess the price point on these would be about $15, just enough for you to buy a couple of URO rubber parts that fail OBQ

Kudos for market research before venture , smart
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Interest in Vanagon Window Sticker Replicas? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’ll guess the price point on these would be about $15, just enough for you to buy a couple of URO rubber parts that fail OBQ

Kudos for market research before venture , smart

Thread hijack.... sorry.

Actually URO rubber parts have come leaps and bounds up in quality over the recent past. They are very active with their customers and are constantly improving what they offer. I am impressed the way they actively participate in the Pelican Porsche forums and address customer comments. Kudos to them for being able to take criticism and improve. I'll likely order my targa front seal from them because they are the only ones who are changing their dies to make the special shape required. The Porsche part is NLA and Porsche directs customers to cut and modify a newer gasket (ugh!).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: