Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping - What do you do for heat?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

Well, the day has finally come. I've talked my wife out of camping in our RV and finally got her back in the bus (a regular occurrence pre-kids, but it's been nearly 4 years). When we slept in the bus (1968 tin-top Westy) it was chilly but manageable with enough blankets.

However, we're now going to be camping with our nearly-4 and 2 year old and temperature is a bit more of a concern. The plan is to put the 4 year old on the kids cot over the front seats, the 2 year old on the back bed, and my wife and I on a bed in the ARB awning tent. So the question is, what do people do for heat?

We have a small electric heater we could plug into our Goal Zero, but it doesn't last long due to the power draw. We also have a small propane heater, but obviously we'd not be able to leave that on unattended. The bus also has a heater unit in the engine compartment which I've always been too scared to mess with. It looks to be in good shape but I've never given it a go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I’d be running that gas heater.

But, I don’t have one so we use a Mr. heater Buddy. It’s great and we have no issues with it. People here will bash it, but it works just fine for our family.

Enjoy the adventures with your family while you can!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
TheRustyRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

Google China Diesel heaters. They are tiny all in one replacements for RV heaters and they work much like a home unit. Add fuel, drill one small hole for the exhaust, and fire it up. The goal zero will run the tiny fan for days, and the units burn very little fuel. It heats up our camper really well, and has a thermostat so it wont run you out of the bus at 3 am!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

Bring your dogs with you when camping.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

Those are fantastic heaters, nothing to be scared of, but you should go through it first. Here's an assortment of threads on them including some in depth restorations: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

The gas heaters are great when they're working properly. You might as well see if you can make it work, but if it ends up being more work than it's worth, check out the diesel heaters like TheRustyRabbit mentioned. Theres a really long thread on them in the Vanagon forum:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569&highlight=chinese+diesel

I just installed one in my Bus and I'm blown away at how much heat it gives off. And best of all, they're under $200.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I'm running A 5KW Chinese diesel heater. We do day-long dog shows in 35-40 degree scenarios. We can maintain 70 degrees in our tintop for about $2 per day. It's a dry heat so no condensation on interior glass, as with a Mr. Buddy.
We love it.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I use a diesel heater but did not permanently mount it. I didn't want to drill holes in my bus. I built it in a Pelican style case and take it only when I need it in winter. In Norcal you don't need it year round as you know. Send me a message if you want pics of mine. Here is a youtube video that covers the basics and he even has 3d print files on thingiverse or you can buy the plastic parts from him on Etsy.

Link

(sold - but not forgotten)
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I have always used the factory gas BN4 heater in my early bays. Once they are working they seem to be more reliable than they get credit for. I am currently rebuilding a 1970 Westy and will be using one again. I have now completely run out of useable fuel pumps and regulators and fuel lines, so I will be exploring options to replace those. I live in the Yukon and I plan to be warm!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I installed Eberspatcher gasoline heaters in my Vanagon and bay window. They work great either parked or driving. I love the convenience of a single fuel type.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

It gets down to 60F in Santa Cruz sometimes

😀

Op, get that heater inspected and fired up.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

All the old-style heaters are wonderful for driving, but they don't do so well for camping, due primarily to the battery draw. Perhaps using that in conjunction with the Goal Zero battery thing would work to keep from drawing too much power. You'd still likely want to just use it to preheat the bus before going to bed, and then warm it up again before kiddos get out of bed in the morning.

Perhaps using the Goal Zero to run an electric blanket or two would be a better bet, due to putting heat right where it is needed.

The diesel heaters (and the name brands do also make actual gasoline versions--don't be fooled by the cheap versions stating "gasoline" in their ads-that is an error) are much more efficient electrically than the old style heaters.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

-10° here today. I really feel bad for the poor freezing people in Cali. X2 on bringing the dogs.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I have a Mr Buddy, but it does create condensation and I don't feel safe leaving it on. We camp mostly in the summer - spring and fall can be cool, but a decent sleeping bag and blankets keeps you warm enough. If I did camp more when it was cold, I'd definitely be looking at one of the Chinese heaters.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

If I had your gas heater set up I'd use it.
But for the few times I really need heat in the winter when we camp in ski area parking lots, I bring a small generator and an electric heater. The generator is handy for other things and I remove them when I don't need them. No cutting, drilling, condensation, extra batteries or taking up valuable space. A couple long extension cords and fill a small extra gas can at the last gas stop before camp and you're all set.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

I would NOT EVER, run a open flame hot surface 'buddy' type heater with young children or even pets.. it's just not worth the burnt hair smell or worse.. binkies.

the small diesel heaters are sooo available now it's the minimum standard unless one is jut plain out cheap or daft.

they do require a 2nd fuel tank and keeping on top of that..

we run diesel heaters in 3 of our family fleet, I run a Propex and a few friends run suburban Rv/popup furnaces.

I would suggest just taking the extra cost and go with a benzine (gas) heater from the russian federation the advantage is that it's a single fuel source, you don't really quite have to worry about running out since you have a gauge on your dash as you travel. and good clean dry not a fire hazard heat is worth the peace of mind
you already have enough to do and worry about with the family loaded and traveling.

that's my $.02 take it for what you paid,

link
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

We camp year round here in temps from 50 down to ~25 degrees F in the winter and typically use our propane fire pit on low outside under the EZ awning with a wind block tarp on two sides. We leave the sliding door open and it keeps the inside of the bus as well as sitting under the awning warm (~70 F) and dry.

We have good sleeping bags and never use any heat while sleeping as the inside of the bus stays warm for 30-40 mins after shutting down the fire pit and closing the door but I have a small Mr Buddy heater that I start up first thing in the morning for about 10 mins to warm the inside of the bus and then shut it off and open the door and start the fire pit. This set up works well and a full propane tank lasts about 3 days.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

That Southwind /Stewart Warner gas heater looks really nice. It will likely need a new fuel pump and I’d just replace the original style one with an electric one. The factory fuel lines used originally usually hold up well but if you plan on running it you’ll want to replace them. You’ll want a voltmeter as there may be some bad connections. It shouldn’t be too hard to get going. There also should be some on off switch somewhere you’ll want to find so you can adjust temp by pulling the switch out and turning it. The switch should be below the edge of the drivers seat next to the pull knob for the heater vent that comes from out I see the walk through
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

[quote="wagohn"]I'm running A 5KW Chinese diesel heater. We do day-long dog shows in 35-40 degree scenarios. We can maintain 70 degrees in our tintop for about $2 per day. It's a dry heat so no condensation on interior glass, as with a Mr. Buddy.
We love it.

Do these Diesel heaters pump out smoke like that all the time or just at start up?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
vacca_rabite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping - What do you do for heat? Reply with quote

The diesel heaters only smoke at startup really, and run really clean.

They have been a staple of the East Coast winter camping scene for years, and work very well.

One guy I know runs one in his little home built trailer, but has to keep the door open on 25 degree nights as the trailer gets too warm.

The only downside is the "tic...........tic..........tic......" of the fuel pump.

Zach
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: