Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Shifter rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

I'll try that Ev, thanks!
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I've always wondered why Hurst supplied a polished white knob on all the shifters for American cars, but gave us a dull black knob.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want one of those white knobs to replace my black knob....that sounds kinda bad if you say it out loud without context Laughing
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Hey, does anyone here in Samba Land have an extra reverse lockout bar (the little bar with the hump in it) and the littlkw "W" shaped spring that holds tension on the humped bar? I can use stuff from an EMPI/Bugpack/JSC/Noname shifter..I guess if I have to, I can buy a complete cheepo repo...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Dave, that bar that slides up and down against the W spring isn't for reverse. It's the 3rd/4th lockout. If you hold the trigger up, you can shift from reverse to 1st without hitting 3rd. You only need this if you take your cal-look Beetle up into the mud or deep snow and get stuck. It allows you to shift quickly while trying to rock the car out.

Since you don't have these two parts, I recommend leaving them out.

Did you get that plate already?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

No, sir, probably stuck in Customs, or something Cool

I know it shifts fine without it, but I like to try and keep things complete, and Jeff aka Glandnut had some spare bars and spring that he is sending my way..
And Thank you for sending me the thicker of the two, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.. Cool

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Even though the nylon bushing was in good, unbroken shape, I wanted to make sure it would stand up to some abuse, so I ordered one of Bruce Tweddle's "Racer Plates"..I wanted the cover to fit down as far as possible, so I counter sunk the holes in the plate, and used 8-32 machine screws and Nylock Nuts, to hold everything nice and tight. With the new reverse lockout wire, and one of Glandnut's lockout bars and W springs, this thing should be good to go for another 50 years Very Happy

Thank You, Bruce and Jeff !!!

Last edited by Dave on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Nice Dave!

>For the fellas running the poor fitting repop base covers, I frequently recommend using medium sized/thin fenders washers under the button head stainless allen bolts I use for rebuilds. The edges of the washers just catch the inside of the plastic base cover so no more cover and boot walking up the shaft when shifting.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

I now see that the earlier shifters, had the little lip around the shifter stalk, and the later ones didn't, probably explains why I see lots of early ones with cracked nylon guides, and not as many later ones, like the one I show on this forum.. I think probably Hurst saw this as a problem area over time, and rectified it by making the plate thicker. I like the idea of the washers, too, Glandnut, certainly simpler than my hare-brained idea, but hey, it works Very Happy

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

As an addendum to all of this, I wanted to publicly thank Jeff, aka Glandnut, for setting me up with the reverse lock out bar, and "W" shaped spring that normally holds said bar down, FREE OF CHARGE !!! Holy Cow, dude.. !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Okay, just got another shifter for my wife's Ghia..I noticed, while taking things apart and assessing what needs to be done, that the trigger portion seems to be way over, towards the 3-4 gate (or 1-2 side of the engine) than the ones I am used to. Knowing that the trigger only fits on the shaft one way, could this be one of those rare, unobtanium, RHD shifters? I'll post photos later on, so any of you Guru's (Jeff/Glandnut/Bruce, etc etc) can take a look..

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter rebuild Reply with quote

Here's the difference Dave's talking about:

Not only is the trigger rotated so it's more comfortable in a RHD car, the shifter is taller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: