Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Was hoping someone could just verify that the when the both doors are closed, unlocked, and windows are up, that both interior door handles are angled down at the 7 o'clock position and the crank windows are angled up at the 2 o'clock position?

Thank you!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Here is a pic from a 56 owners manual this might help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Thank you, That's what I was going off of too. Looks like 7 oclock and 2 o'clock. Just trying to see if others are following that as well.

I had originally had my door handles horizontal and you push up on them to open the door, because that's how old airplanes have theirs set up and I was unfamiliar.

If there's a consensus on originality that's what I'm trying to find out.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Not sure what year your car is but the 1955 and older have the door handle at 8 o'clock and the window winder at 2 o'clock positions (driver side).
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Interesting, I have a 57 and its manual looks like the one previously posted. Almost straight down with the door handle.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

garagebandking41 wrote:
Interesting, I have a 57 and its manual looks like the one previously posted. Almost straight down with the door handle.

Dan22 wrote:
Not sure what year your car is but the 1955 and older have the door handle at 8 o'clock and the window winder at 2 o'clock positions (driver side).

I think DAN22 is pointing out that ribbed door and window handles are mounted in a different position than yours. see pics, ribbed door handles are mounted higher not straight across.
Here is another thread on it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522117

Ribbed door

Non Ribbed door

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Thanks All, looks like I'll stick with what looks like my initial thought as the '57 manual shows the same thing. The panels are ribbed for '57 as well and the handle is pointing down and aft while the crank is facing up and slightly fore.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Here is a view of the 55 and older and 56 and later door handle positions. This is out of the Bentley manual.

Last edited by Dan22 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Ok--
I've owned *a few* bugs, current 54' being the oldest---

which WAY does the door handle push to open? I have a friend 3 early 50's bugs (52/53 and 55 vert) and even his aren't consistent.
I always thought it was push forward to lock (passenger side) and pull back to open (both sides).
My 54' is opposite, doesn't feel right..I don't want to take the door panels off again!
But looking at the ribbed door pic ^ above, doesn't seem very ergonomic to 'pull' that door handle rear-wards from that starting angle? My elbow doesn't like that at all.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

I think you push it down to open. Perhaps the pivot was installed upside down in your car?
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Door Handle and Crank Window Handle Angle Reply with quote

Photo of ribbed door handle orientation is correct. Handle is pushed counter clockwise to open and passenger handle is pulled clockwise to lock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: