Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV boot replacement without removing axles?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowblind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Hi,

I noticed that my rear CV boot on the transmission side has a small crack and started to throw a little bit of grease. I have never replaced a CV boot, only a whole axle on a toyota truck. So I am wondering how much work is involved to just replace the boot? Do I need to remove the wheel and hub and slide the axle out to be able to replace boot? or do I just remove the 6 bolts going through the boot and then there is enough clearance to get the boot out and a new one in?

thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always nice to know what you are working on, a Saab maybe? But since you are on a Vanagon forum I will assume its a Vanagon. You need to remove the 6 bolts that hold each CV joint to their respective hubs and then remove the joint from the axle. There are two different style bolts used to attach the CV joints, you may have only one style or both. Make sure you have the correct tool for each style.

A search will tell you all you need to know about removing and replacing the boots.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to remove the 6 bolts on each side...

Usually the bolt is a 8mm triplesquare. Clean out the inside of the bolt with Gum Out carb cleaner to attain maximum purchase.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=5796

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/cvjoints.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowblind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. The vehicle in question is an 86 Vanagon 2WD.

The type2 link is very helpful. After reading the first bit it makes me wonder if maybe one of my CV joints are bad. When I start to straighten out from a turn, I hear an oscillating noise like a metal bottle is rocking back and forth an inch or so (rock-rock-rock) and the sound goes away after 3-5 seconds of going straight. I previously thought the noise was something under the rear seat moving around...

It sounds like after I remove the 6 bolts per side the whole axle will just drop out if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky, then some yanking will be required.
mike boland Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cv boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

one posters above said 8mm but if I recall correctly the correct size is 6mm some of bolts are 6mm triple square, others are 6mm Allen hex you may have one type or mix of both.

Clean the dirt & crud out of the screw head before you try loosen the bolt. use a 6mm 12 point or 6 mm hex on socket. lightly tap it in place with a hammer, after cleaning dirt / crud out to get good seat.

Inspect your bolts after remove them..after being tighten / removed couple times the heads tend to get rounded..I like to replace my bolts with new ones. Do be sure the little curvy washer is installed too..it helps keep them from loosing back up. You may want to use medium strength blue thread locker on them. Torque them to value given in Bentley Manual. recheck them for tightness after 1000 miles...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cv boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

resurrection of an old post, but as it was the first hit in google, i'll ask.

my transaxle end cv boot needs to be replaced. i know the recommended way is remove the whole axle and do everything on the bench, but as i only need to do the transaxle end, can i just remove the bolts on the transaxle side, remove the circlip and then watch the cv joint slide effortlessly off the axle and into my waiting hands? thus saving me the hassle of dealing with the wheel/hub end of the axle cv bolts. (i know i need to clean the old grease from the cv joint)

i suppose i can just try it and if the cv joint isn't coming off, i'll revert the the recommended way.

and i further suppose, a careful mechanic would probably take time to clean, inspect and repack the cv joints on both ends - failure on one side may be an indicator for other boots (they are all about 8 years old now). i'd be open to that, but would prefer a quicker fix during the winter. as i spent an hour or so reading about tiguan cv boots as a replacement, so, i suppose i could go this route.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cv boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

You could but the joints are often stuck on the axles and you need to work surgically clean.
Tough to do under the Van.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cv boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

yeah, not exactly a clean room under there.

and this is probably one of those 'you could', but 'you dont want to' situations. i wasted many days trying to do replace the head gaskets with the engine in the van - of course one stuck to the head, and then the piston came out, and my back was killing me. removing the engine was quick and so much easier to work on.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Very easy to remove the other 6 bolts and take off the axle with CV’s to your work bench where you can work in comfort.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Like others here have said, I’d highly recommend just removing the whole cv/axle assembly and dealing with it on a bench. You probably could replace just the inner boot from under the van without unbolting the outer side, but you’ll likely just end up making things harder for yourself in the end. Once you’ve removed the axle, it’s actually not that bad of a job to refurbish the whole thing, especially if you’re the sort of person who enjoys cleaning, inspecting and reassembling things.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

thanks all.

mdub - i don't mind jobs like that, and cv joints are pretty fascinating. but january is not my favourite time for such jobs. more reason to remove it and bring it indoors i guess.

for science, i might try removing only the transaxle cv in situ anyway. worse case, i'll have to remove the other end. i'll report back. if i can get away with that, i'll do a full boot grease replacement in the summer on both sides. by then i'll have finished reading all the tiguan cv boot threads.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

You may well need a puller to get the inner race off the axle shaft. The snap ring gets pounded by the inner race in use and deforms the splines towards the end of the axle making removal of the inner race difficult. I usually hang the axle assembly by the inner race in a vise and beat the axle out with a bunch, this would be hard to replicate with the axle assembly hanging under the van.

Even in cold weather I am not sure its worth the hassle to try to do it the way you are planning, as its only six more bolts to take out. There are lots of tricks to doing this job. I have done it hundreds of times by now and it still gets easier each time I come up with another way to get some part of the job done. No matter how you go about doing it, paper towels are your friend along with a nearby trash can to quickly deposit them in.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

A couple comments: Correcting a 12 year old mistake. The bolts either take 6mm hex/ aka Allen. OR triple square XZN. That wrench is named by its BOLT SIZE, 8mm The bolts are the same but for the insert socket shape. but the WRENCH for the triple square is called 8XZN.
Making noise? Yes, you need to deal with it immediatley. It is quite possibly just falling off. These bolts need to be tight! OR maybe just DRY. If it's dry , you can buy a LOT of time just getting some grease into the ball area of the joint. It is amazing how bad a dry joint will sound and how well it responds to some grease. If your boot is shot anyway, a tiny hole and some spray grease is better than not doing it.
Yeah, torn joints need to be replaced, but unless you are driving in SAND, it will be okay in a few thousand miles. No need to lay in the snow.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Life saver on this job is a small impact and a flex drive extension.

Clean out the bolt head bits, get the right tools in , crack them with a 12 inch bar, then zip them out instead of 24 sessions of ratcheting. Same on install.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Clean out the bolt head bits, get the right tools in , crack them with a 12 inch bar, then zip them out instead of 24 sessions of ratcheting. Same on install.

Oh, agreed. but I have a M18 Milwaukee impact driver, the 1/4 hex drive one I drive screws with, a hex to 3/8 square adapter and the 6mm Allen or 8XZN and they always zip right out with that thing.
I'm a great fan or the triple square XZN and NEVER reuse the allen head bolts. Allens WILL strip out and require drastic measures. Especially if you don't get the sockets perfectly cleaned out. The triple squares, OTOH, NEVER slip and fail.
I just rattle them tight, don't bother with a torque wrench. I only work on my own cars. If I was doing it for others, Yes, I'd use a torque wrench.
And Yes, I know what it sounds like when a joint comes loose.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Oh, agreed. but I have a M18 Milwaukee impact driver, the 1/4 hex drive one I drive screws with, a hex to 3/8 square adapter and the 6mm Allen or 8XZN and they always zip right out with that thing.
I'm a great fan or the triple square XZN and NEVER reuse the allen head bolts. Allens WILL strip out and require drastic measures. Especially if you don't get the sockets perfectly cleaned out. The triple squares, OTOH, NEVER slip and fail.
I just rattle them tight, don't bother with a torque wrench. I only work on my own cars. If I was doing it for others, Yes, I'd use a torque wrench.
And Yes, I know what it sounds like when a joint comes loose.

Glad running them in tight with impact works for you.
I cringe when I see such things because of the long history of tire shops twisting off lug studs and warping hubs with such practices.
I've seen people start bolts with impacts...... one simple cross thread and you're quickly in a World of Hurt!

I frequently use an 18v or air small impact, but sparingly and carefully.

If you are 100% certain that your tool is fully engaged with the fastener head, a small impact can do wonders to break a stuck item loose.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

there are split boots that allow replacement while on the vehicle, the seam glued back together and hose clamped on. Febi, Dorman, etc make them.

this MAY work, can anyone confirm?
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/111598021A

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

@dan - yes, i saw those split boots that you glue together in place. i imagine the success/longevity is largely based on how clean/well you glue them.

i believe there are other ones with screws/etc, but i imagine the imbalanced weighting would not last long on something that spins so fast.

Link

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV boot replacement without removing axles? Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
@dan - yes, i saw those split boots that you glue together in place. i imagine the success/longevity is largely based on how clean/well you glue them.

i believe there are other ones with screws/etc, but i imagine the imbalanced weighting would not last long on something that spins so fast.

at 60mph, the axle is rotating about 750rpm and with the boot radius of only 3" the angular momentum is going to be very low. imbalance is not an issue. however, i can imagine myself flopping the seam into the grease before gluing however so that may be tricky to get a good bond.

i've never used one before but they seem like maybe something to have in a road kit.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: