Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

2.5 subie was running hotter than normal 205° Degrees.

I have a O2 sensor heater code p0037
Baro pressure sensor p2227
Ho2 heater p0030

As soon as it hit 205° it lost power and stalled.

Any ideas to on the problem, or a mechanic in the area?
Rear discs
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

The slightly high temp is probably a red herring. If your gauge is accurate, 205F is a safe temperature, well below boiling. Are you saying the engine won’t restart after it’s cooled down? Will it turn over? Did you loose any coolant? Is your expansion tank full? Does the fuel pump cycle when you first turn the key?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

the o2 heater codes don't normally cause a driveability issue UNLESS they are internally shorted, then you have problems. i have seen on VAG products a bad o2 wipe out the ECM

the baro code can cause all sorts of issues as it helps with fueling. it could be pig rich or dead lean.

205* isn't hot...usually but this time of year it would seem not to be normal as many (stock) subarus tend to run in the 190-195* area.

i'd try and disconnect the baro sensor and see what happens. it should shove the ECU into limp mode and while performance may be reduced it should still run.

but, if the o2 codes are there and in fact shorted internally it may do some pretty crazy things. typically they will code for the heating circuit being burnt out but like i said if they shorted to the signal side of the sensor you'll need to do some diag for sure

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

wcdennis wrote:
The slightly high temp is probably a red herring. If your gauge is accurate, 205F is a safe temperature, well below boiling. Are you saying the engine won’t restart after it’s cooled down? Will it turn over? Did you loose any coolant? Is your expansion tank full? Does the fuel pump cycle when you first turn the key?

The temps have always been 189-201
They started creeping up on today's drive
As it hit 205 It lost all power
When started after the initial stall, as when I hear it shudders with very little power (limp mode?)
That would lean towards the baro sensor
Coolant levels were all good
Rear discs
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the o2 heater codes don't normally cause a driveability issue UNLESS they are internally shorted, then you have problems. i have seen on VAG products a bad o2 wipe out the ECM

the baro code can cause all sorts of issues as it helps with fueling. it could be pig rich or dead lean.

205* isn't hot...usually but this time of year it would seem not to be normal as many (stock) subarus tend to run in the 190-195* area.

i'd try and disconnect the baro sensor and see what happens. it should shove the ECU into limp mode and while performance may be reduced it should still run.

but, if the o2 codes are there and in fact shorted internally it may do some pretty crazy things. typically they will code for the heating circuit being burnt out but like i said if they shorted to the signal side of the sensor you'll need to do some diag for sure

Skills how common is the baro sensor failure?
Would it quit w/o any forewarning?
Thanks
Rear discs
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

UPDATE:
It seems all sorts of weird things going on

1 replaced the map sensor (cleared code)
2 o2 htr trouble code still present 0037
3 vss code tripped (replaced sensor cleared code)
4 LTFT is -10ish (vac leak?)
5 STFT is +.08ish
Seeing as I havent driven it in awhile how long does it take for the LTFT to establish a base?

Problem is the van is driving very sluggish
What next?
Change out the o2 sensor?

Was running perfect before the breakdown
Seems strange all these would go at once, unless related?
TIA
Rear discs
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

Have you made sure all the grounds and connections are clean and tight.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Have you made sure all the grounds and connections are clean and tight.

Makes sense
Will get on that this w/e
thanks
Rear discs
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

had you filled the gas tank recently? if so, suspect bad gas. depending upon the OBD system, it can throw all sorts of trouble codes seemingly unrelated.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

your fuel trim is about right

LTFT is indicating you are pulling fuel (running rich) but how long was it running? if not up to temp and a good 30 min drive i would disregard that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
had you filled the gas tank recently? if so, suspect bad gas. depending upon the OBD system, it can throw all sorts of trouble codes seemingly unrelated.

New gas added today
Still sluggish
Maybe plugs fouled from the map sensor failure?
If the o2 heater has no effect on engine performance, taking that out of the system would at least tell me whether its bad or not?
T
Rear discs

Last edited by space on Fri May 20, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
your fuel trim is about right

LTFT is indicating you are pulling fuel (running rich) but how long was it running? if not up to temp and a good 30 min drive i would disregard that

Was up to temp 205
Can fouled plugs from a failed map sensor cause this rich lean?
Thank for the help
Rear discs
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

if your o2 heater is dead or something is up in that circuit you need to fix that. the o2 heater comes on and off as you drive if the o2 is below temp it can and usually does run like shit

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Broke down south of Macon, GA (Subaru engine) Reply with quote

Skills is the baro pressure sensor on an 05 2.5 on the ecm or part of the MAP sensor?
Ive gotten conflicting opinions
Thnks
Rear discs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: