Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS Berg engine from '82 - value?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilswheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

The time has come to sell my Berg motor, bought in 82. Its never been assembled, still in the Berg boxes. Have all receipts, and various correspondence with Gene at the time to workout what to buy.
It has an 86 porsche journal wedgemated crank and flywheel, Bugpack rods, Clyde Berg heads, cam which is clearanced by Berg for the crank, bolt up rocker gear, basically a load of stuff. Im trying to get a feel for value, its a full engine minus barrels and pistions (because I couldnt see the point on importing them to the UK)

I might possibly sell the crank and rods separately

Any guidance appreciated
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

It's really about what you want to "let it go"...the value to buyers will vary based on who "wants" and who "needs"

For instance..the porsche journal turned out to be an OK idea, but not really the greatest. The thin brgs (and often lack of ability to find good ones) made them not ideal for long life.

Custom welded heads that were in the $2500-3500 range back then, have much less value now that many "as cast" heads flow just as much and are avail in the $1000-1500 range.

Berg was ahead of the game, but manufacturing has caught up over the last 40yrs to lessen the cost of equivalent performance.

kind of like the first computers were expensive (cost to performance) to how inexpensive they are now (cost to performance)
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

I think you would have better success obtaining an estimate and/or selling your Berg components over on the Cal-look forum: http://www.cal-look.no/lounge/

You'll have a larger audience of people local to you, and valuation specific to its vintage and collectability within the Cal-Look community, not simply its performance relative to contemporary options.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

That, or on some of the Cal-look or Oldspeed groups on Facebook.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

neilswheels wrote:

Any guidance appreciated

selling all of the parts separately is the best way to maximize your return.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

Im sure some bergite like glenn would be happy to take it off your hands, somebody else may even pay you what its' worth.and some will pay more.good luck
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im sure some bergite like glenn would be happy to take it off your hands, somebody else may even pay you what its' worth.and some will pay more.good luck

Seems like everyone has heard of Gene even though he’s been dead since 1996.
What’s you name again ? Mark Who.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

I would call Gene Berg Ent. and ask. I'm sure Doug, Clyde, or Gary would be able to give you a real value and possible people interested in buying.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Quote:
......but manufacturing has caught up over the last 40yrs to lessen the cost of equivalent performance.

kind of like the first computers were expensive (cost to performance) to how inexpensive they are now (cost to performance)

Absolutely the truth!!

That is the reason that I am delaying the building of my ultimate engine.

I figure that if I wait long enough I will be able to get INFINITE PERFORMANCE for ZERO COST!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

Plenty of CRAP, cough EMPI cough, out there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

I agree with vwinnovator,

{Berg was ahead of the game, but manufacturing has caught up over the last 40yrs to lessen the cost of equivalent performance}.

To this day the Berg parts in general are excellent but that was the time of Bug-Spray Carbs and lets see what we can get that is on a Porsche that will work on our bugs.

A lot of experimentation was going on. Think about it, in 82 practically no one knew what a T-4 engine was, and the thought of putting that engine was known to blow valve seats in two ton buses in a bug would be crazy. Well it wasn't till 1989 when I built my first T-4 conversion, then in 92 when I wrote my manual and Jake Rabe and Joe of DTM fame brought advance T-4 engine it to the attention here in the U.S. My point look at how far T-4 in bugs has come since 92 -- we are talking1982 for the Berg engine.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

The Berg GB202F is still the only gland nut I would ever use.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

86 Berg crank from ‘82 would be the Swedish forging, right?

Wedgemated/balanced.. Shocked

That’s some of the best of the best that just you can’t get today.
Can’t really compare that to a China crank no matter who is selling it.

The right guy will pay top dollar.

What’s That Noise?!?
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

here's your buyer:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=578380

he's been looking a while since the ad was placed in 2008 Shocked

good luck
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

The shipping cost from the UK would be insane!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

Ship everything to Gary (Berg), have him build it and sell it as a complete motor for upwards of $10K (US). That is what a woman did with her dead husbands stash of Berg parts.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

neilswheels wrote:
The time has come to sell my Berg motor, bought in 82. Its never been assembled, still in the Berg boxes. Have all receipts, and various correspondence with Gene at the time to workout what to buy.
It has an 86 porsche journal wedgemated crank and flywheel, Bugpack rods, Clyde Berg heads, cam which is clearanced by Berg for the crank, bolt up rocker gear, basically a load of stuff. Im trying to get a feel for value, its a full engine minus barrels and pistions (because I couldnt see the point on importing them to the UK)

Any guidance appreciated

Drool
The emoticon above says it all.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

To all those that think those parts are too "dated" to be useful... what the #@*&@ are you thinking of putting them into?

A 2022 Cadillac?

No - I suspect it's a 50 year old VW... that's pretty dated too...

I am running a set of 35+ year old carbs on my 49 year old VW and love them! Yes FI is a better choice but is it in keeping with the nostalgic theme of my car?

Those parts in my view should be worth more than many of the present Chinese copies. They are the ones that they copied...
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
To all those that think those parts are too "dated" to be useful... what the #@*&@ are you thinking of putting them into?

A 2022 Cadillac?

No - I suspect it's a 50 year old VW... that's pretty dated too...

I am running a set of 35+ year old carbs on my 49 year old VW and love them! Yes FI is a better choice but is it in keeping with the nostalgic theme of my car?

Those parts in my view should be worth more than many of the present Chinese copies. They are the ones that they copied...

Well for 40 yrs they have been put into STORAGE.

How much would you pay for them to put them into an engine and start wearing the "NOS" off them??

$500 for the crank? $1000?, $2000? $5000?

As soon as they are put in they are USED and then where's the value?

There's a balance between the value as a collectible item vs. a put into use item.

What would the purpose of use be? to drag race @9000rpm maybe 50 runs a year (killing the porche journal brgs) or to build an engine that is babied in hopes to do 100,000 miles over the next 20yrs?

If you think about it...many berg parts stopped being avail / produced because the cost/purpose was overpriced to the market.

FWIW, I have several "NOS" berg items sitting around as well..

What's the value of a set of berg NOS valve keepers in packaging?
$100?, $20, $5?

How about the 3 puck "tranny breaker" clutch discs?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: NOS Berg engine from '82 - value? Reply with quote

A few years ago I sold a nos bosch screamer kit which I had sitting under my work bench for 20 years. The new owner installed it in his period correct gtv engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: