Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG-
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Install kill switch on positive or negative?
POSITIVE (with precautions)
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
NEGATIVE (TrashPanda, you dangerous idiot)
84%
 84%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 26

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

My radio had this type of wiring and the black ground was the one which went directly to the "hot" side of the ground disconnect switch. Haven't had any problems and it maintains the presets when I kill the power via the battery ground switch.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Duncan
Vancouveria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
We've been installing proper "HELLA" switches on the negative side. If you mount the cutoff switch at the front of the seat base you can just use 2 off the shelf straps and the install is straight forward, and when installed it that position it is easy to get to when needed in an emergency

Any chance you can post a picture and the part number for the switch you’re using?
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

I had an automotive electrical guy install my kill switch, in a remote location. I would never be without it. These vehicles- no matter the condition- are has hyper inflated in value as starter ranch homes.

That switch divided by the number of “I want to buy yr van” notes made it clear.
And one guy in particular was imperious.
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

UPDATE:
The van was stolen today.

The Summit keyed lockout switch is on a UPS truck somewhere. The hasp clasp locks are in a Home Depot bag on the passenger seat, next to the thief.

Why couldn't they have tried next week?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

Guess it is worth suggesting (though, alas, too late for you) that if someone is designing or planning some elaborate anti-theft measures that perhaps they should just install a simple kill switch on the fuel pump ground to have protection in the interim.

One can over-think these things when (IMO) anything that requires the thief to futz around for a couple of minutes is probably enough to get them moved on to a different target.
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

Jeezus, I am so sorry.
One rule in life for me - opt for safety every time.
I wish I had posted much earlier.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but how does a car get stolen when the steering wheel locks without a key in the ignition? I get how you can hot wire it, but how do you steer it so you can get away?

Duncan
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

Dang, Trashpanda, I'm sorry to hear this. Here's hoping they don't trash it too badly before it's recovered a mile away.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but how does a car get stolen when the steering wheel locks without a key in the ignition? I get how you can hot wire it, but how do you steer it so you can get away?

Duncan

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

In about 5 seconds. Nobody hot wires cars except in movies
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Battery kill switch: POS+ or NEG- Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
One can over-think these things when (IMO) anything that requires the thief to futz around for a couple of minutes is probably enough to get them moved on to a different target.

I hope my mistake serves as a useful lesson to my fellow Sambanistas:

Any and all investment in your van should come AFTER theft-deterrence. In the merely two months I've owned mine, I have put several thousand dollars into making it a safe and reliable vehicle to drive, but left theft-deterrence to this week. I was a week too late. All I did was fix up a van for a thief.

Please don't make my mistake.

And thank you all for being such a great resource, as always, even in grief.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: