Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

correct color carpet
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: correct color carpet Reply with quote

hey guys,all my OG carpet in the 68 was gone when i got it but i was wondering what color most royal red paint/black interior 68's had for color on the carpet?thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

Go down and you should see 1968.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

I looked at the list but did not see carpet colors. Am I missing something? I am looking for the original carpet color for a VW Beetle 1969 Cobalt Blue and Cream leatherette upholstery.

The car has no carpet in it now and I would like to know what it had originally? Is that even possible to know?

thanks!!!
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

I had a 1970 factory original back in the '70s. It was Cobalt Blue and Cream leatherette, with charcoal carpet.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I had a 1970 factory original back in the '70s. It was Cobalt Blue and Cream leatherette, with charcoal carpet.

I was thinking that charcoal was probably the color too....thanks Jimbug!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

Looking through the parts listing HERE (illustration 50, pg 8-168 to 8-194), it appears there was only one colour of carpet that came in all 1968 and newer US and Canadian market Beetles (M code M602 and M603). That colour was called lava, basically a charcoal grey.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

Mukluk is correct. 046 Lava Grey (charcoal) was the only carpet color offered in '68 and the two piece floor mats where also the same color. The kick panels under the rear seat were also listed as Lava Grey, but with the code 192.

In the Royal Red Beetles, the door panels were either Dark Platinum Grey or Black and in the L41 Black Beetles, the door panels were either Dark Platinum Grey, Gazelle Beige or Indian Red.

The seat upholstery in cloth was 146 Platinum Patterned and B141 Platinum in vinyl.
passionre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Mukluk is correct. 046 Lava Grey (charcoal) was the only carpet color offered in '68 and the two piece floor mats where also the same color. The kick panels under the rear seat were also listed as Lava Grey, but with the code 192.

In the Royal Red Beetles, the door panels were either Dark Platinum Grey or Black and in the L41 Black Beetles, the door panels were either Dark Platinum Grey, Gazelle Beige or Indian Red.

The seat upholstery in cloth was 146 Platinum Patterned and B141 Platinum in vinyl.

You wouldn't happen to know the factory color of carpet on a early 73 Super Hardtop in Phoenix Red with black seats and door panels would you?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

passionre wrote:

You wouldn't happen to know the factory color of carpet on a early 73 Super Hardtop in Phoenix Red with black seats and door panels would you?

Sure do! The carpet was 469 Anthracite (which I believe that shade of grey is a little lighter than the previous Lava Grey). If I can answer any other questions, just ask.
passionre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
passionre wrote:

Sure do! The carpet was 469 Anthracite (which I believe that shade of grey is a little lighter than the previous Lava Grey). If I can answer any other questions, just ask.

Thank you so much! I was about to order black, but something didn't feel right.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Looking through the parts listing HERE (illustration 50, pg 8-168 to 8-194), it appears there was only one colour of carpet that came in all 1968 and newer US and Canadian market Beetles (M code M602 and M603). That colour was called lava, basically a charcoal grey.

Thanks for that info- I could have answered the OP's question regarding the royal red 68 xcept I wouldn't have known what to call it- I probably would have called it charcoal as well.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

creative native wrote:

Are you sure about the mats? I was told grey was right when I did my '67.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

n/m

Last edited by mukluk on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

[quote="67ctbug"]
creative native wrote:
Are you sure about the mats? I was told grey was right when I did my '67.

According to Garwood and Volkswagen, the mats were the two one piece rubber floor mat set (front and rear mats over the tunnel) in Lava Grey in 1968.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: correct color carpet Reply with quote

So grey not black. I called Wolfsburg West when I did mine and they seemed to know what to get.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: