Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Lid Lock thoughts?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

I am thinking of putting in an engine lock latch in to secure my engine from theft or pranks. Someone mentioned that having a locked engine compartment has caused many buses to burn because you can't get in to put out the fire. is this true and should be a concern?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Good maintenance prevents fires, but if you are going to lay awake at night over it hinge the license plate and cut an access port behind it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Knock on wood, but I have never had an engine fire in nearly 35 years of owning Transporters. Yes it a real concern, but as BD mentions prevention needs to be done first and foremost. By the time you can react to an engine fire its likely too late to put it out anyway, the high fuel tank design is just extremely dangerous from the get go. Consider adding a marine anti siphon valve or one of the newer designs that replace them, or add an electric fuel cutoff.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

in a fire there are always the side vents. One does not leave the engine compartment locked except when you leave the car somewhere. If you park it in you garage, run to the beach, you can lock it at the beach then unlock it before you leave. If my bus catches fire it will probably be a total loss. Unless you have worked on a burn before you have no idea how much work is involved in repairing it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

You could probably figure out how to install a hidden release using an electric solenoid. Push a button on the seat pedestal and the latch releases and the lid opens normally.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Just get ahold of Gabe and buy a lock that’s keyed to match the rest of your bus. Bus fires aren’t the end of the world. Mine caught one time. I fixed it and another. The important thing is to have a fresh extinguisher available
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

I’ve always had locks on my VW’s. When I’m parked at home or another safer place, I leave it unlocked. If I’m in an sort of questionable area, I’ll lock it up. But I always make sure to unlock it before I drive off, just in case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Wait until you drop the motor to put a lock in because if your alignment is off it won't open and now you will really be screwed Sad
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Wait until you drop the motor to put a lock in because if your alignment is off it won't open and now you will really be screwed Sad

What the heck are you talking about?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

What the heck are you talking about?

The only adjustment I’ve ever had to deal with on a Bay is moving the catch forward or back to make sure the lid stays closed nicely. Too far to the rear, and it’s loose and flops around. Too far forward, and the hook might not catch at all. Maybe if something is really bent / out of whack, your catch could be too high for the hook to release? I guess anything is possible but it’s not something I’ve encountered.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

If it's too low the hook wont clear and you cant get in to fix it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Seems to me that this could be an issue whether it locks or not
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

What, exactly, is the worry?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

igotta40 wrote:
What, exactly, is the worry?

The worry for me is that some no good piece of shit will open my engine lid and fuck with my shit. Yes, my battery cost me $336 last month. These other people who have an issue with a locking engine lid must live in a better part of the world than myself.

If I was driving and had indications of an engine fire it would take me roughly 30 seconds to pull over, remove my keys from the ignition, grab my extinguisher, and be unlocking the engine lid. In my opinion, I have a much greater threat from some asshole than I do from my gasoline fire.

In my life I’ve delt with both. I’ve come out a winner all four times.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone mentioned that having a locked engine compartment has caused many buses to burn because you can't get in to put out the fire.

Slap the In the face for spreading lies. Then cut their tongue out.

Have a great day everyone !
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

jeridmark wrote:
I am thinking of putting in an engine lock latch in to secure my engine from theft or pranks.

So far a good idea.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that having a locked engine compartment has caused many buses to burn because you can't get in to put out the fire.

the causes are usually a lack of maintenance of ancient fuel hoses and shoddy electrical systems -
and incorrect opening of the engine lid, so that more oxygen then accelerates the fire. Rolling Eyes

Far better are cover plates for the upper, lateral air inlets or flooding them with extinguishing foam for firefighting.

But while driving, my engine lid is always unlocked - for maintenance and control at stops. Takes seconds, with correct good locks and keys.
Never blocked the last 12 years after restoration...

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

[quote="aeromech"]Seems to me that this could be an issue whether it locks or not

[quote]That is why I say wait until the motor is out so you can loosen the lock and readjust it.
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

If you want the lock, get the lock.

Unlock it every time just before you get in the bus to drive it.

Lock it back up after you get out, and the engine is stopped, and you've confirmed it's not on fire.

Problem solved.

I don't have a lid lock, but I do have a battery shutoff switch with removable key inside the engine compartment.

If fire is a major concern for you, do your PM and fuel line replacements often, and maybe get one of those Blazecut hose things.

Good luck,
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

I found an old locking latch at a junkyard. It was missing the key, my local locksmith cut a set very easy and cheap. If you can locate one it's a recommended upgrade, as nobody can screw with your engine while parked short or longtime. Someone mentioned anti theft measures...unplug starter relay and lock the lid, good luck someone figuring it out unless they know buses.

For locked lid fire suppression I would recommend investing in a BlazeCut system = https://www.blazecutusa.com/pages/videos
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could try one of these.. a sanctioned VW novelty item maybe?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: