Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No start, out of ideas.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tvanwie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

All, I'm at a loss. 72 super beetle all of a sudden wouldn't not start or turn over. Completely dead with a faint click. Oil light comes on, headlights work. We have replaced starter, ignition switch, and all fuses. Still no luck. All wiring appears fine, 30 has continuity and power, 50 has continuity but no power. This is where I'm lost. Can anyone offer advice here? I've only had the beetle a couple of months and completely new to these. Thanks.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

Check the ground strap at the nose of the tranny for clean connections, it's the only way the power from the motor assy. gets back to the battery.
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

Failing the above suggestion, sounds like a hard start relay may be required?

It's simple to do, and I'm sure it's been mentioned many times on here with instructions. Smile
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

Could be a cruddy or loose spade terminal on the starter trigger wire (the end of #50). Charge your battery too and don't try to crank the engine with the headlights on to save some battery life while you diagnose the issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

With the ignition off, car out of gear and e-brake firmly on, short the big terminal on the starter solenoid to the small push-on terminal, and see if it cranks.

If it does, try it with the ignition switch to the run position, and see if it cranks and runs.

This would then indict the switch or switch wiring, narrowing your search considerable.

Then you'll have to get at the switch terminals, figure out which should have power, which make contact at the run and start positions, and effectively bypass the switch to see if its wiring or switch.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

If battery terminals and cables are clean and tight, measure and post voltage reading across the battery terminals 5 seconds into trying to start. This is a test of the battery under load.

If that reading is not over 9.6 volts, that's bad.

You didn't mention either that you even read battery voltage when NOT at load, that might add information too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

If battery terminals and cables are clean and tight, measure and post voltage reading across the battery terminals 5 seconds into trying to start. This is a test of the battery under load.

If that reading is not over 9.6 volts, that's bad.

You didn't mention either that you even read battery voltage when NOT at load, that might add information too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

My 74 super has a hard start relay. This was indicative of what happens when the fuse for that relay blew.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

tvanwie wrote:
All, I'm at a loss. 72 super beetle all of a sudden wouldn't not start or turn over. Completely dead with a faint click. Oil light comes on, headlights work. We have replaced starter, ignition switch, and all fuses. Still no luck. All wiring appears fine, 30 has continuity and power, 50 has continuity but no power. This is where I'm lost. Can anyone offer advice here? I've only had the beetle a couple of months and completely new to these. Thanks.

My first guess would also be a low battery charge but just for sake of thoroughness how did you check the 50 wire for continuity? Did you check for resistance between two end points? If so which ones

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

tvanwie wrote:

50 on the starter gets only power when you start / crank over. You can check for power on that wire on the ignition switch side also while turning the key to crank position.

Does the starter solenoid click when you trying to crank it?
tvanwie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

Ok - wanted to update as I believe we have tracked down the issue. We have replaced the starter which had a bad connection, added a hard star relay, replaced ignition switch. All of these definitely needed to be done, but no resolution. Today, we found the ignition housing and set screw had been replaced at some point and wallowed out. This is why (we think) we're not getting power when you turn the key. Seems to be the only missing link. Now, where do I get one of these housings? I'm only seeing a couple on ebay. No one remans?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

The part number you want is VW 111905851N. This was the ignition housing for 72-73 only. I doubt you are going to find an exact replacement from vendors since it's such a narrow year model range.

Looks like bugcity has a few:

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=111905851N

As well as the ones on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

tvanwie wrote:
Today, we found the ignition housing and set screw had been replaced at some point and wallowed out. This is why (we think) we're not getting power when you turn the key.

A couple of years ago, I helped out a local member who was also having trouble with the ignition witch on HIS 1972. The issue was a physical one, that the "actuator lever" on the tumbler switch wasn't making full contact with the electrical part of the switch to get it into the "Start" position.

Thing took me like 1/2 hour of fussing before it really locked into position.
tvanwie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The part number you want is VW 111905851N. This was the ignition housing for 72-73 only. I doubt you are going to find an exact replacement from vendors since it's such a narrow year model range.

Looks like bugcity has a few:

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=111905851N

As well as the ones on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

Unfortunately the ones at bug city didn't have the set screw, so I grabbed the one on eBay. Even came with the lock, key, and switch. Fingers crossed. I miss driving this thing.
tvanwie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: No start, out of ideas. Reply with quote

Turns out that's what it was. Replaced the entire ignition with the one I bought (except for the wiring) and it fired right up. Crazy to think a bad set screw caused this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: