Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Thanks,it now resides in Mt.Home Arkansas Wink swapped it for my white bug
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

So, everything on this project is awaiting deliveries. Can't build trans without the pinion and gears. Can't build the shifting without the 2 speed shift system and can't rebuild the front wheels until the last of the bearings arrive. All are in the post, none are here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

FTC 2 speed stuffs arrived. Still awaiting the r/p combo before we can assemble the transmission. Rear wheels and tires are here, so I hope to get the tires mounted this week... every so slowly... progress!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Training paddles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Where will you race?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Albany and Riddle might open the track back up.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Wow. Did not realize, know that there were sand tracks east of the Pacific Ocean. Or even AT the Pacific Ocean
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Oregon Offroad Racing Association is in Riddle and trying to revive
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

New front wheel bearings and wheels installed.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

More mock up

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I finally have the engine plate! That's better.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I know I should have test fitted me much sooner, but hey...

Also, the difference in footprint of 30psi and 8psi.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

I want to remove the entire drivetrain as a unit, so we nutzerted the bell housing and now the 4 bolts unscrew from the perches, 2 bolts on the engine mounting plates and brake calipers unbolt and the entire rear end can be rolled away for service.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

New front rubber and tubes ordered for the the spoked wheels... needs to be closer to OG.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

These old wheels were covered is rust spots on the spoke sides and covered in flaking rust on the tire side. Rustoleum Rust Desolver and 30 minutes wait did pretty good!

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re:Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Old school cool. Well, at least to me!!!

The wheels are OG as are the timing rings.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Many years ago (sort of pre monster truck era) local group sponsored mud bog runs.... Fellow had a VW rail very similar to one pictured here only difference was small wide tires on front, he wound it up dumped clutch and made it to end of pit in seconds, made the "big" trucks look really bad (as in terrible)....

Secret was he was so light and had enough power he just sort of skipped across top of mud....

Which is why they changed the rules. Next season you had to have full time 4WD.

vwfye wrote:
I remember a vw hydraulically driven 4wd got outlawed for that and indoors it could flat out run, throw a lever and reverse the system to slam on the brakes.

Which is how the VW and VW style buggies made it into the following season. That instigated more rules changes. To put it simply, if you don't have a monster motor 4WD don't bother takin' it off the trailer at a "sanctioned event".

County fairs have somewhat loose rules. Still, show up with your old school light n' quick VW, you will be the focus of dirty looks from the locals.

The Europeans have more of a sense of humor. They have mud bog motorcycles. Laughing
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

The gentleman I bought the frame from has an BBC v8 with NOS sand drag car. He told me that his car will run about 0.3 faster than what this car ran in the 80s. Power to weight... always the issue.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

Had to bend some sheet metal from damage somewhere in the past. I wish t3 pans were this easy!
BTW, there is less than 150lbs of drag rail in these photos. The engine/trans/rear tires weigh more than what is picture plus my fat butt! Crazy!!!

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I jump this thing? I'm kidding... Reply with quote

4 hours of trans set up today. Stopped after setting preload and getting initial r/p lash to work from. Much learning today as well as some progress.

Photos loaded in reverse order.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: