Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann Ghia restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Tried to fit this in the right rear, but simply too large. It may go into the Dodge truck....

Pnndee 1.2L Twin Baffle Dual Filter Engine Oil Catch Can Tank Reservoir AN8 (Black)
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

I also bought this piece of junk. The machining, fit, gasket, and design are *horrid*. Bench testing resulted in cross-threaded oil filler cap. Imagine that issue at some road rally ....

6 points of connection failure. Rubber gasket is junk. Unusable in this form, so never bothered even installing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

<flame on>

There is a lot of (negative) energy towards CBPerformance. Some of their products are fine, but it is their return policy that has got me fumed - they say they have a return policy that requires you to call within 2 days or you are *stuck* with your purchase. I called the day stuff arrived. They *say* there is a 15% restocking fee, but they also don't refund shipping charges, and you must pay for return postage. They didn't refund California state tax (~10% depending on county). I keep detailed spreadsheets for all my cars, and as a vendor, this is how they fared:

A $125 purchase - immediate return cost me $39.09 with nothing in hand but a gift certificate (for less than $100). That was used for their breather box. So sorry for any negative energy surrounding that company as a parts vendor. There are plenty of other good bug houses offering better customer experiences. In the end, I have a plastic-wrapped paper weight that cost a bunch.

<flame out>
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

These type of high performance fittings are used in racing applications. Here is the best example I can find on the forum currently garnering everyone's attention, desires, and expectations (BaT): a 1964 Karmann Ghia race car, showing the custom routing was built with 10AN red/blue compression hose coupling/linkage. I imagine the $13,000 sale tag will put some off, but that is the fragility of the auction market and human nature:

Last edited by kimkinzie on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Inspiration

When I was really young, Formula 1 became intriguing after I learned about the Grand Prix of Monaco and visiting the area. Perhaps it was the opulence, being in the hometown of Princess Grace Kelly, or the sheer excitement of having traversed the Swiss Alps in my stepfather's Citroën 2CV Fourgonette (we took the Simplon tunnel train back). My hero instantly became Emerson Fittipaldi, the brash Brazilian racer who took the world by storm. In my mind, he became everything i wanted to be as far as a soap box racer, and his image was guiding me down each track as I imagined myself in the big leagues. Big dreams...

I found this Karmann Ghia gem buried deep on the Internet when chasing more about his background and career. Yes, the "MOUSE" roars again Wink. The pictures of "You'd Lose" (1960's ad campaign) juxtaposed vs. these sleek beauties is almost too much irony to deal with.... They are what now drives my desire to get my half-finished restomod up and running like a champion. Styling is gorgeous, shows off the amazing lines, and 100% function from a weight-saving - aerodynamics - performance point of view. The perfect flying machine - a Karmann Ghia.

Last edited by kimkinzie on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Monkey see, monkey do

Humans learn by imitation. We see a good idea and attempt to mimic the behavior the current 'expert' displays. After fumbling, correcting, and getting insight into the inner workings, we develop familiarity with the task. Eventually, we form a basis upon which we build a wider knowledge, maybe even expertise... The key issue is to acquire sensitivities, 'touch' or 'feel', or insight.

Youtube is the best source of directed knowledge / learning / imitation since the Internet light blinked on in 90's. One of my favorite sources for how to tune air-cooled engines (Porsches, VW) comes from GarageTime. He also happens to supply very good engine harnesses and quality Porsche products. The big tune up video has great information on how to deal with running idle transition debugging. It helped me a lot with the engine tuning (so far). Maybe it could help someone dealing with engine gremlins. I don't have any affiliations / business ties / arrangements with this individual - they are simply a fountain of knowledge for restorations, welding, and good business practices.

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Ouch

Changed spark plugs and did a compression check. All ferrules were still on the plugs, and in a previous check I was testing to see if removing them made a difference. Close ups of #1-#2 and #3-#4. I tried my best to show off their worst sides:

Compression tests were a whole 'nuther matter. I don't know if it is the cheap Harbor Freight gauge (will re-check with rental from local auto shop) but this is far too low. At least there is some consistency, but the news is not great:

Installed a fresh set of NGK DPR7EA-9 plugs (based upon what I saw on #2 cylinder for quick inspection) and test drove. It ran like poop. Half-way through, I swapped in two of the old Bosch plugs and the engine came back to life. I immediately ordered up a fresh set of Bosch from Amazon - it seems that the NGK's are requiring a bit too much and/or generating too little heat OR it was my fiddling with the gap (narrowed from pre-set). Debugging continues when the new stuff arrives ...

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Ghias and Coffee

Photo session with the NorCal Karmann Ghia Enthusiasts Club in Alameda, CA.

San Francisco Bay Area at its finest.

Naval base to honor our fallen heroes, pay respect, and listen to ghosts of the past.

Pure voodoo

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Push It

How did she run? Well.. the fuel pressure dropped to 1.5 psi - it required very light throttle control (no mashing, no goosing) to not cause misfires and rough running in the 3000 RPM range. Settled in for a good run with a set of BMW M3s for draught and managed to get to restaurant without problems, but the exhaust was getting louder by the minute.

#3 -#4 were definitely under stress - one was misfiring and over-saturated with fuel/oil/combination. Playing with the rotor, I stumbled on the problem: the mechanical advance way *way* off. At the warehouse photo shoot, the rotor cap finally broke - the spring-loaded contact point to the rotor sheared off completely. Dead in the water. Another member offered the suggestion of using tape to keep the broken piece in place enough to get to a gas station. Island security patrol was breathing down our neck (no car meets allowed). A piece of electrical tape to hold the broken nub in place enough to place it on top of the rotor. Success ...

Got gas (needle was tickling "R") and found out I actually have an 11 gal capacity tank when filling to the neck. Ran the car hard back at 4000-4500 RPM on spirited freeway driving until highway 17 climb over the mountain range. It bogged like hell, required downshift into 3rd gear, and moaned *LOUDLY*. At the crest an electric motor cycle, Tesla, and Prius looked on in wonder as it went into silent glider mode. Pure 'hybrid' to bottom of hill. Then I took a look under the car - she gave up her secrets. It's pretty obvious:

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Details, details

Just what makes a Karmann a Ghia?

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Ghosts of Lives Past

Books are often overlooked in today's fast-fashion-false-newz diatribe (puns+sarcasm *intended*). OK, boomer. No, own/pwn this millennial .. blah.blah.blah...

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig

"ESP Wars" by Ed May

"Which One Was David?" by David Frankham

acting as art:

"You are what you pretend to be. Pretend well, my friends." -- K.K.
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Backfiring

Rome wrote:
Backfires upon deceleration are often due to a leak in the exhaust system. Look under your car with a flashlight for signs of black soot either at the flanges of the header to your heads, or between the mufflers to the header. Once you find the soot, that's the telltale where the joint is not tight so that air is getting sucked into the joint and igniting with unburnt fuel that's coming out of the combustion chamber.

Black soot marks, missing gasket and bolts, squashed o-rings and non-existent clamps. Scene of the crime evidence presented:

Rome wrote:
hold a metal straight edge along the 2 flanges where the header upper pipes attach to the heads. You want to check for warping

Next, run an M8 x 1.25 die over the 4 exhaust studs on the heads, to restore the threads or at least make sure that new nuts spin freely by hand.

Quick check against a feeler gauge - it also points out why guidance was offered regarding possibility of a stripped bolt. Problems found:

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Post-Purchase Inspection

Here are some pictures of the broken rotor cap and the dilemma faced with keeping that little nub in place enough to get back home (rotor also a bit chewed up) - both on order:

Under the valve covers:

A bit of cleanup after muffler was taken off:

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Yucks

Just for yucks, it seems the previous owner fixed the valve seal problem on #1 - #2 (where the oil breather hose was installed) with a rubber gasket sealer. I presume it got baked onto the mating surface and wouldn't budge previously after loosening the retaining clips. That's what 'Italian tune-ups' are for ...

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Cool looking car. It seems who ever built it/threw parts on it did it half assed. If it was mine I would drop the engine and start checking it out from top to bottom.

Enjoy it!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

There was no gasket at all between the header flange and the head at this location?!

You're also missing two small cooling tins that fit under the bottom edge of the cylinder tin. Careless/clueless engine builders often seem to leave them off. The tins for your engine without the various air cleaner preheat hoses would be the top set (nate9871 gallery). Having the tins in place provide a small more bit of direction to the lower half of the cylinder fins, for the air blowing down.

They are not mirror image, and they can be installed with the engine in the car, by holding the tins up from below and running the cheesehead tin screws down from above. The 2 captive nuts in each tin should get a thread chasing with M6 x 1.0 tap.

The straightedge was meant to check the warping on the metal flange of the header at those head locations. Thinner flanges tend to bow outward at top and bottom, leaving a space in the center of the flange to the head surface.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

With this careless engine build by Shyster Shlock, I would not be surprised if the cooling tin below the two cylinders was left off. You can check this easily by shining a light upwards between the two center pushrod tubes and viewing from underneath. The tin is a small square about 5" wide; you can see it clearly in this photo (NCdad gallery). It fits almost directly up against the bottom fins of the cylinders up above the tops of the pushrod tubes. Each side of the engine must have this tin; it directs the blown air coming down from above across the bottoms of the cylinders to carry heat away. The photo is of the right side cylinders and head. That stud at the bottom of the photo is for attaching the metal bracket for the thermostat; M8 x 1.25 thread size again.
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Hand of God

When *someone* wants to deliberately slow down a project .. it is merely a matter of getting some #federal attention. When was the last time that an overnight delivery was deliberately held up on a critical part? ... for no reason <whatsoever>? ... [[[ dorks ]]]

Maybe we all need to examine our *assumptions* about the powers that 'be' (the invisible hand). The day before the $FB[i] /Facebook IPO, I 'visited' their campus here in Silicon Valley with a little acting - attention - "WHO is paying attention?" stunt. I drove to the staging area where all the media was parked and raised a bit of a ruckus in front of the eager reporters, media, and setup crew. I was driving a newly-purchased 2011 Ford Edge. After their silly little show-and-tell security (men-in-black ha!) showed up.. the fireworks started.

Acting as if distraught from my sister's recent suicide (pure lie), I made the claim "Facebook is responsible for ~all~ of this!" .. and offered to leave immediately. Unfortunately (ha!), my car wouldn't start. Remote start deactivation. I showed my key fob to a passing reporter, exclaiming "Look! they've disabled my car"... his only comment was ... "Whoa!... spooky". well thanks, Keanu Reeves ....

Link

Remote car deactivation. nice. from a private (ha!) company nonetheless... in my best Spock voice 'fascinating'. I tried a similar stunt the next night at the $AAPL /Apple campus circling around slowly the 'Infinite Loop' to attract the attention of security. It worked quite nicely, but I had hacked the Microsoft OS via the USB stick to give a dashboard alert. I didn't stop, so the car remained functional as I slowly exited the campus, giggling like a little girl. "Confirmation".

Soooo .. fast forward to today. I was warning people the problems of the invisible "digital tattoo" after having seen the lights flicker on at $GOOGL /Google from my cubicle at Intuit (turbotax folks, we were working on early bill pay system) at the old Sun Microsystem tilt-up concrete Sobrato campus buildings at Shoreline in Mountain View, California. the ultimate irony, quite honestly...

What if $AMZN /Amazon just decides they want to throw a monkey wrench in their normally flawless delivery logistics business (they are *NOT* a retailer)? this:

draw your own conclusions

Last edited by kimkinzie on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

at least they were kind enough to give 'notice' .. friggin' amateurs

ever wonder about all those non-postman delivery contractors (maybe a front) that Amazon has built an army around? ... too many questions, grasshopper ...
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

synopsis - standard shop reply: "I'm waiting for parts".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: