Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who drove their bug today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Last night it was 31 degrees F with a dew point of 31 degrees and 100% humidity - it made ice fog. Then it started freezing rain. Then it snowed 6 inches.

This morning (16 degrees F) I dug down to the drivers door handle, chipped away the ice, and discovered the lock was frozen. I went back inside and got a Bic lighter. After 5 cycles of heating the key and inserting for a few seconds it came unfrozen. I got in, pressed the gas to the floor slowly, let it back up and turned the key - started right up.

I let it run with my defroster on high while I cleared the snow off and the windshield ice softened up so I could clear it all off.

Woo hoo, I love driving in the snow Smile
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Here in Virginia, the weather started with a wet snow, now a light snow.
Three SUV & a big 4x4, all spun out in front of me, I kept plugging along.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Syá•••! I wish some of that snow would make its' way to western NC, Ratstude. Isn't it always fun to drive ACVWs in the snow? Years ago, I had a '59 standard Bus and I was the only person at work whose vehicle could make it through snow, so I helped get people to and from work. I've not driven my '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug in the snow yet and I'd like to.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Creativo, if I could ship all of this white shit to you, I would drop everything and do it today!! I'll be clearing the crap off after work and taking it for a snowy spin. Hopefully not a spin-out.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Syá•••! I wish some of that snow would make its' way to western NC, Ratstude. Isn't it always fun to drive ACVWs in the snow? Years ago, I had a '59 standard Bus and I was the only person at work whose vehicle could make it through snow, so I helped get people to and from work. I've not driven my '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug in the snow yet and I'd like to.

It is fun! It is amazing how well they do. Just make sure you have a towel for the windshield!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It’s melting quickly here.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

I got the old car out today for a good run at highway speeds about an hour. This after noticing snot in the oil from not getting the engine fully warm to burn off the condensation. I did surpass 80 mph at one point but rarely dropped below 70 mph.

Thankfully it warmed to 48 degrees so I may have accomplished something positive 😀 I covered about 75 miles round trip and inhaled so much VW smell with windows up and heater on.

I like the smell as I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Took about an 80-mile cruise around NoVA today w/my younger son and two doggies, stopping for lunch at a Five Guys somewhere around Centerville. A balmy 25* here in the mid-Atlantic today! Bumper's not crooked, just an optical illusion in this picture. Notice the Brown Swiss or Jersey-like cow in the background...

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Excellent efforts of our Virginia bro's radstude and vamram for taking your Beetles out in the cold and snow!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Back at it today but first I watched this for motivation 😀

Very nice plenty of split window action.

I’m up on Route 66 at the blue whale

Inside the whale looking out.

Mushrooms, it’s been years since I did any.

Under Route 66

An abandoned piece of I44. It’s been like this at least 25 years. Another great hang out.

Been busy putting a new floor on this 16 ft trailer. The treated wood cost 270.00 and that’s using a 10 percent military discount. I covered another 50 or 60 miles already before 2 pm.

You got a VW ? Drive and show us what you got. 😀
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Did ya burn the spoog out of the engine? I seem to remember that was the goal of this drive.

Nice pics. Thank you for sharing your adventures today!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It would appear so😀 racking up the miles is good for me as well

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It would appear so😀 racking up the miles is good for me as well

Mission accomplished! On two fronts! Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Man Z you've got some great picture settings out that way. I wanted to do another long drive today but it's nasty outside today - low 40s and non-stop cold rain. I'll pass.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

It snowed last Thursday night so she has been under cover since. But it was Sunny today (though only 28 degrees) so went about locally doing some chores. Had the rest of the blanks from Wolfsburg West cut so now I have two (2) working complete sets and a 3rd that only needs another ignition key to complete. In the Spring when it's warmer I'll go thru the task of removing the door handle tumblers so a locksmith can match them to the ignition as its supposed to be.

Started on a ride to nowhere and the gas gauge was just hitting that little red area where the "R" is. Suddenly the car just sputtered to the side of the road. All electrics fine so I stared at the engine a bit and guessed that perhaps had run out of gas. Called Tripe A and they came with a gallon can. Poured into the tank and within minutes she was happily running again. Triple A guy "no charge for the gas if I can take a picture of the car". Haha, makes folks so happy. Of course and gave him a $10.00 tip for coming so quickly... it's cold out there!

A month ago I had the tank dropped, drained, cleaned and coated. Carb rebuilt too. Have not had any hesitation or popping since getting rid of the crap sitting on the bottom of the tank for 49 years. Really running excellent. However the fuel send must be slightly off. I'm actually kinda glad this happened locally so I didn't find out on a highway trip. I made note of milage from my last (and 1st fill-up) on this tank and will pay more attention until I adjust the sender. Funny thing is I was actually going to get gas no more than 5 minutes earlier but there was a line of one car at the gas station so I thought "what the Hell, I'll get some later on. Who knew? I'm a poster-child for pushing limits regarding fuel in cars and motorcycles. But this time I'm claiming "not my fault".

Did another hour driving around some twisty local roads until it was pitch black outside. Frigid cold but the heats blowing hot against the floor and my shoes. I did play some "Beach Boys" on my bluetooth speaker to help the "Summer Tires" cope with the cold Smile

Actually the next morning which made running out of gas at 24 degrees seem warmer. Was 14 today.

stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Been commuting to work the last 2 days since I have a dirt bike strapped to the back of my Jeep JLU. Have to drop the bike off for service and didn't want to haul it back and forth into NYC. And the Bug is after all a commuter car. At least designed to be one. It's been super cold with yesterday morning at 8 degrees. The engine turned over a little slower but fired right up and just like my air cooled motorcycles, they love the cold weather. I also find it detrimental to not drive these things for long periods of time when it's this cold out. Good to keep the juices going.
About 45 miles round trip so along with other puttering around doing 100+ miles over the last couple days. The Bug appreciated the warmth of indoor parking thats for sure. And my friend who I dropped off after work had never been in a real Beetle before only asked if the car had heat.
"Sorta... your feet will be fine, eventually". Haha

Miles of smiles in a Hot Tub Time Machine:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

Went on a highway the run in 14* temps this morning. Car for so warm ☺️ that less than 10 miles in had to unzip my jacket, lower the heat and crack open a window.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Went on a highway the run in 14* temps this morning. Car for so warm ☺️ that less than 10 miles in had to unzip my jacket, lower the heat and crack open a window.

Vamram, Do you have a gas heater or is your heat system just functioning properly? I am happy for you! The heaters in my '67 Fastback and '73 SB were amazing. I lost a few cassettes because they fell onto the floorboard and in front of the heat aperture under the rear seat.

Last edited by creative native on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
vamram wrote:

Vamram, Do you have a gas heater or is your heat system just functioning properly? I am happy for you! The heater in my '67 Fastback and '73 SB were amazing. I lost a few cassettes because they fell onto the floorboard and in front of the heat aperture under the rear seat.

Lol, no gas heater, just the factory heater boxes, working preheat valve in air cleaner, all tin and flaps in place tied to the awesomepowdercoat thermostat.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who drove their bug today? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
... I lost a few cassettes because they fell onto the floorboard and in front of the heat aperture under the rear seat..
Off topic...
Back in the day I forgot about a pair of sneakers placed in that area.
In winter during a longer ride on the "Autobahn" I wondered about that burnt smell.
Pulled over and found the sneaker's soles melted away... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 109

Jump to: