Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:
There is no reason to buy anything from there.

Um, yeah there is. They make cheap products. It's that simple. We don't like to pay ridiculous prices for things as it is, now let's say that product that was $200 now was made in the US. It would be even more expensive. Why am I gonna pay $500 for an item that is $200 from China? Is the quality gonna be that different? Doubt it. Does this apply to everything? No, but most consumer products, it does in my opinion.

When the lowest price is the first consideration, then quality goes away. You have to look for quality. The first thing I do is look at where the item was made and that's because China has a reputation for making junk. People are happy to replace the item multiple times because it's simply like buying an item on time. They can afford to pay $100 five times for an item that will last 6 months instead of paying $500 up front for one that will last them for years. My grandparents paid cash for anything they bought and they bought the best they could afford, not the cheapest. They were not wealthy but when they made a purchase, they expected it to last a lifetime. They bought a new car every 15 years and owned one house. Today, we expect to replace everything and that's because most everything made is a throw away item.

Exactly, so that’s why we buy things from China. The average consumer doesn’t care. They are the MAJORITY. People that will only buy made in America are a very small percentage in the big picture. When your average consumer doesn’t make enough to buy the $500 whatever so they buy the cheaper one that’s the demand right there. They want the cheaper product because it doesn’t make sense financially to spend $500 on an item. I would never expect anything to last a lifetime, even if it was made here. Our manufacturing isn’t superior to China, it would just cost more in my opinion. The Chinese are very capable of making a quality item, but that’s not where the demand is and so they are told to make it cheaper. I’ll give you an example right here, now this is tools, but still. My coworker has a full set of Matco combination wrenches. Right around $400. I have a set of Husky wrenches with some HF thrown in, way cheaper. I’ve NEVER heard of someone breaking a wrench. So if I broke one, I can run down to Harbor Freight, buy another FULL set for $26, replace the one and now I have a whole other set of spares. This is now two sets of wrenches for far less than one set of Matco’s. This is just an example and some tools I wouldn’t buy from HF but you get the idea. The consumer makes the demands and companies respond to that. If Americans start saying we’ll pay $500 for a made in USA toaster, maybe GE will listen, but we won’t so it won’t happen.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:

Um, yeah there is. They make cheap products. It's that simple. We don't like to pay ridiculous prices for things as it is, now let's say that product that was $200 now was made in the US. It would be even more expensive. Why am I gonna pay $500 for an item that is $200 from China? Is the quality gonna be that different? Doubt it. Does this apply to everything? No, but most consumer products, it does in my opinion.

When the lowest price is the first consideration, then quality goes away. You have to look for quality. The first thing I do is look at where the item was made and that's because China has a reputation for making junk. People are happy to replace the item multiple times because it's simply like buying an item on time. They can afford to pay $100 five times for an item that will last 6 months instead of paying $500 up front for one that will last them for years. My grandparents paid cash for anything they bought and they bought the best they could afford, not the cheapest. They were not wealthy but when they made a purchase, they expected it to last a lifetime. They bought a new car every 15 years and owned one house. Today, we expect to replace everything and that's because most everything made is a throw away item.

Exactly, so that’s why we buy things from China. The average consumer doesn’t care. They are the MAJORITY. People that will only buy made in America are a very small percentage in the big picture. When your average consumer doesn’t make enough to buy the $500 whatever so they buy the cheaper one that’s the demand right there. They want the cheaper product because it doesn’t make sense financially to spend $500 on an item. I would never expect anything to last a lifetime, even if it was made here. Our manufacturing isn’t superior to China, it would just cost more in my opinion. The Chinese are very capable of making a quality item, but that’s not where the demand is and so they are told to make it cheaper. I’ll give you an example right here, now this is tools, but still. My coworker has a full set of Matco combination wrenches. Right around $400. I have a set of Husky wrenches with some HF thrown in, way cheaper. I’ve NEVER heard of someone breaking a wrench. So if I broke one, I can run down to Harbor Freight, buy another FULL set for $26, replace the one and now I have a whole other set of spares. This is now two sets of wrenches for far less than one set of Matco’s. This is just an example and some tools I wouldn’t buy from HF but you get the idea. The consumer makes the demands and companies respond to that. If Americans start saying we’ll pay $500 for a made in USA toaster, maybe GE will listen, but we won’t so it won’t happen.

So when you make those repeated trips back to HF, that doesn't bother you? I never said to buy American or even implied it. What I did say was that Chinese-made is junk and I stand by that. There are other countries that produce quality products on a consistent basis because they have quality control. One is right across the bay from mainland China. I have several combination wrenches made in China purchased when I was young and naive that I can show you with half an open end left so don't tell me that their product is just as good as anyone else! It sucks. Back in the 50s and 60s Japanese-made was the joke for buying junk but they, unlike China, did something about it and today Japanese-made is world class. China can keep producing the way they do because Americans don't care. You go ahead and continue to support China's economy. I'll pass.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:

I'd have to agree with the last few comments.The reason we think China makes shit consumer goods is 100% because we ask them to. They have the technology and ability to make anything we want, in any quality we want. The thing is, we are usually only asking them to make garbage items. So that's what we get. Ask them to build a higher quality item, and pay them a higher price, and they would provide that too. You can't tell them to build a toaster for $1.25, and then bitch that it's not as well built as the $500 USA made one. You can't have it both ways.

Does anyone honestly think every single 'Made in the USA' item is the highest quality item in the world and not one single low-quality item has ever been built on these hallowed grounds? In North America, we have the ability to make crap too. It's just that we spend 10x the money making that crap. So we farm it out to China.

These discussions always end up with someone claiming this problem is because of 'you people' who buy foreign products and don't support local. I sure hope none of these morally superior people own a T-shirt made in Bangladesh, and you're confident the metals used to make your cars, tools, cookware, and furniture were all mined and sourced locally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you buy on price without consideration of origin, don’t complain when you can’t find work

Isn't it ironic to say this on a forum for cars made 1/2 a world away from you and I, rather than supporting a more local brand and workers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Rich Latsch wrote:

So when you make those repeated trips back to HF, that doesn't bother you? I never said to buy American or even implied it. What I did say was that Chinese-made is junk and I stand by that. There are other countries that produce quality products on a consistent basis because they have quality control. One is right across the bay from mainland China. I have several combination wrenches made in China purchased when I was young and naive that I can show you with half an open end left so don't tell me that their product is just as good as anyone else! It sucks. Back in the 50s and 60s Japanese-made was the joke for buying junk but they, unlike China, did something about it and today Japanese-made is world class. China can keep producing the way they do because Americans don't care. You go ahead and continue to support China's economy. I'll pass.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest because it doesn't matter to me where the tool was made as long as it works. Germany, China, USA, I could care less. I don't care if you have a $10,000 Snap-On box or a U.S. General. It's a status symbol to me. "I pay the man $250 a week for my box." Yeah well a HF roller cart costs that outright and it holds the same things. I've been messing with cars since I was 13. In 7 years, the only thing I've ever broken were screwdrivers and picks. Cheap ones and expensive ones. Never a wrench, ratchet, or breaker bar. How'd you break the wrench? I can see it happening if two were interlocked to use as a breaker, because that's not how it's supposed to be used. I saw a Gedore wrench at a pawn shop that had one open end broken off, and that's a quality brand. Tools break, it's just something that happens. The entire U.S. supports China's economy, and it's not going to stop. I'll say it again, the consumer makes the demands. If we as a country said we would only buy American products, the prices would be so high, we couldn't afford it. I'd bet a lot of those "quality" products are made in the exact same factory that makes the cheaper ones just with a different label. Batteries are an example. How many companies do you think make car batteries here? Three. There are three companies making the batteries sold by Napa, Walmart, O'Reillys, etc. It's just a sticker. Brands don't mean much to me for most stuff. I want a set of Hazet wrenches; they're thin, not chrome, the length is proportional with the size, but, they're $190. I don't need $190 wrenches. I get by with my $60 set just fine.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Trust me, after living 10x your 7 years, your perspective on this changes.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I absolutely agree. Wisdom comes with experience.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Talk radio is not a source of reliable information

Now I’m depressed.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I absolutely agree. Wisdom comes with experience.

I find this to be true generally but I do know some older folks that keep fucking up.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Eh, you know That the OP started this thread just for the entertainment value it would provide him.

Dave

Dave is right and I’m guilty of that😀 but on the other hand long as it remains civil what’s the harm. So be nice. I thought the idea of electric airplanes would provoke thought and conversation and it did. All opinions are valid.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Talk radio is not a source of reliable information

Now I’m depressed.

I don’t know. It can’t be really any less reliable than an Internet forum. Just a bunch of people who have never met spouting off a mixture of fact and opinion. Some guy on a talk radio show shouldn’t be taken an more or any less seriously than you or I.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

It isn’t hard to figure out who here has knowledge of stuff. People who know stuff don’t go on talk radio.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Quote:
People who know stuff don’t go on talk radio.

Yeah, libs hate cable tv/talk radio cause they interfere with the BS on the lame stream media
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, libs hate cable tv/talk radio cause they interfere with the BS on the lame stream media

We don’t hate things that are neither relevant nor significant. Saying inflammatory stupid stuff to sell your aD space is easy work. We coalesce our information from 8-10 sources and process it ourselves , as opposed to single sourced dittoheads. Food for thought ?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

We don’t hate things that are neither relevant nor significant. Saying inflammatory stupid stuff to sell your aD space is easy work. We coalesce our information from 8-10 sources and process it ourselves , as opposed to single sourced dittoheads. Food for thought ?

Oh Stephen!

Don't go talking about educated thinking to folk!

We stopped doing any real thinking awhile back.
We let the internet do it ....... or computers...... or whatever the shining star personality is saying today.

Heck I know adults who cannot read or write hand writing!
They can print like a first grader and they can type........ but they cannot write.
They often have no concept of spelling, sentence structure or punctuation ( not that I excel at such things).

Research? In a library? With books? And paper? And pen? None of those skills what so ever.

Single minded thought is the rage today.
"What I need to know I watch on the internet."

No wonder our Nation is in the state it is today.
Our populace has an almost non-existent ability to gather information, assimilate it and draw educated conclusions.
They just parrot whatever the popular guy is saying today.

It really isn't unlike the Catholic Church not too long ago not wanting to do services in English or encourage self study.
Keep the faithful coming, under your influence and giving money.
Not at all unlike the methodology that a wildly popular political figure is using today.... literally today.

Sometimes I just want to scream at people I know....... for god's sake, just THINK FOR YOURSELF!

There is a terrifying anti-science and anti-education trend happening today.

Putting soap box away........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

regardless of who said it and where surely it would be a simple matter to get the radiation figures checked by a reliable source?

to me evs are bad because of the methods used to obtain the materials for their batteries.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
regardless of who said it and where surely it would be a simple matter to get the radiation figures checked by a reliable source?

to me evs are bad because of the methods used to obtain the materials for their batteries.

Is it really that much worse than say ..... oh ..... Zinc mining? Strip coal mining? Fracking? Petrochemical Industry, Etc........ ?
Have you ever seen photos of the early Pennsylvania oil fields? Talk about an assault on the environment!

We do all of these things for modern society demands that we do and ........ and well ...... there's money to be made!
If someone were to discover that Key West beach sand (only their sand) possessed unlimited energy. How long to you think that little island of Key West would be around for?

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Is it really that much worse than say ..... oh ..... Zinc mining? Strip coal mining? Fracking? Petrochemical Industry, Etc........ ?
Have you ever seen photos of the early Pennsylvania oil fields? Talk about an assault on the environment!

yes it is worse because cobalt mines use child labour in dangerous conditions.
oil and coal are known to be dirty but evs are constantly hailed as clean saviours of the planet - as for pennsylvania surely we've moved on and learnt from the past...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
djkeev wrote:

yes it is worse because cobalt mines use child labour in dangerous conditions.
oil and coal are known to be dirty but evs are constantly hailed as clean saviours of the planet - as for pennsylvania surely we've moved on and learnt from the past...

True, but read about early industry here in the States.
Small children working in textile mills, Children spent the day underground in mines opening air lock doors for mining carts, tended animals for industry etc.

....... now if only we could get WalMart to pay a living wage........

Yes we've moved on and become "enlightened" but China is in our 1800's industrial growth period right now.

NOT saying child labor is good only pointing out that we did it. It was part of tge family's survival process.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Heck I know adults who cannot read or write hand writing!
They can print like a first grader and they can type........ but they cannot write.
They often have no concept of spelling, sentence structure or punctuation ( not that I excel at such things).

Research? In a library? With books? And paper? And pen? None of those skills what so ever.

Single minded thought is the rage today.
"What I need to know I watch on the internet."

You can't completely blame an entire generation for what the previous generation taught them. You might be surprised to hear that our local school district (and many, many others) don't even teach cursive writing, and haven't for quite a few years. Most work is expected to be submitted through a computer (which edits spelling, punctuation and grammar automatically), and the majority of research articles quoted in a project must have internet links the teacher can verify.

So how does it make sense to vilify those younger generations if the older generations (yours and mine) are to blame? As useless and disappointing young people generally are to you, I'll bet your grandparents felt the same way about you. And their grandparents probably felt about them. Through the generations, language evolved, teaching methods evolved, and classroom subjects evolved.
I'm sure when calculators became commonplace in schools, the older generation was pissed that 'kids these days' don't know how to do math the 'old' way anymore. Although nobody that was in school and benefited from that advancement in technology saw themselves as degenerates who were ruining the world.

If it makes you feel better, the kids of today will eventually be upset at future generations for not being just like them. That's one thing that won't ever change. They will carry on the tradition of disappointing their parents. So find your zen in that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 235

Jump to: