Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Shifter looks correct from your limited photos. I would just replace the lock out plate with a different one, they're not barndoor specific. I could be wrong, but I think they're the same up to 59, and possibly later too

The parts look correct but questioning the spacer washer. I don't see it in any parts list and it definitely needs it to line up with the lockout. At first I thought it may be to make up for some wear but doesn't look possible to get enough wear to need 3 mm of drop to work. Also those parts don't actually look worn much.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Cleaned up the front beam and decided to try straightening the bars. Left one was quite twisted. Started working on it and it cracked at the beam. Likely started to crack when the bar originaly got bent. Anyway, it made it easier to fix.

The break was after the weld so could not just weld it back without the weld looking odd. I welded on some new metal and trimmed to fit.

Both sides match but I will install the beam to insure the rear bolts line up correctly before finishing.

Also removed the broken shock bolt. That did not come out easily. Odd bolt so I will need to find one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Few more parts arrived.

Correct carburetor. Seams to be in great condition and complete.

One riveted rim. By chance it is a 4/54. A little new but close. Smile Now I just need 4 more riveted rims

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

The parts look correct but questioning the spacer washer. I don't see it in any parts list and it definitely needs it to line up with the lockout. At first I thought it may be to make up for some wear but doesn't look possible to get enough wear to need 3 mm of drop to work. Also those parts don't actually look worn much.

It looks to me like a home brewed quickshift kit

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Couple more parts arrived.

Traded my br2 for some parts and cash and then picked up a br3. Looks to be in excellent condition. Should be an easy restore. I thought the clamps would be wire so will need to research that some.

Also got one slead. Quite sure this is correct for a 4/54. I have the other side but it is a little too new. Will do for now and I can change it later when I find the correct one. Just need to get heater boxes and I will have everything close enough to build the engine.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I found photos of the BR3 with wire clips and also straps. Wire clips I think are early BR3? Anyone know when the change was?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

i know this doesnt answer your question, but i just posted images of an article about date stamps on distributors to the literature section of the gallery. maybe it can help the community to narrow down the dates for you.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
i know this doesnt answer your question, but i just posted images of an article about date stamps on distributors to the literature section of the gallery. maybe it can help the community to narrow down the dates for you.

Thanks. 4/54 so very close. Bus is an April 13

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Happy to help! Still cant help with the date of the design change unfortunately.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

One more part arrived. An excellent condition 2/54 riveted rim. Just need to find 3 more at an affordable price.

Made a deal on a set of reductions. Actually complete drum to drum so it will get BD brakes on rear anyway. Haven't come across any spindles yet so may get newer brakes on front.

Been working on getting the shop more convenient for this project. Old paint shop has been turned into a sand blasting room. That will be much better than the mess I made in the shop when doing the 64. Just completing a new compressor build as the old one didn't have enough capacity. Added a bead roller, spot welder and powder coating to my tools. I will likely powder coat the engine tins.

Soon I will get started on restoring stuff

klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Looking good!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Playing with my bead roller and die making.

I got a cheap bead roller and 3D printed a die set for the bulkhead. This was a first try and am very happy with how it worked. Printed dies show no damage and worked well on 18g. The 16g didn't go as well but that was mostly because the bead roller frame flexed too much. I am going to add bracing to the bead roller to remove most of the flex.

The dies were printed with cheap PLA at 100% infill. I will try 80% infill with 2mm wall thickness on next ones to see how they work. Also didn't use the set screws so will delete the hole and center the pattern. I would like to find some 19g steel for panel repair but seems hard to find in Canada... So the queston will be 20g or 18g for panel repair. I used 18g on my 64 and that worked well but not perfect on some butt welds.

Next I need to print some dies for stamping the bead roll ends. Hopping I can stamp the ends without using alignment pins but not likely to work.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

3D printed dies - great idea! Looks like one of those Princes Auto bead rollers. I have one and they do flex a lot out of the box. I reinforced mine with 1”x2”x1/10” rectangular steel. Made a huge difference.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Looks like one of those Princes Auto bead rollers. I have one and they do flex a lot out of the box

I knew it would need some work but the price difference between it and a good one was extrem.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

i will have to follow this build, this will be good.

i had never considered 3d printed dies. great idea.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Great idea with the 3d print dies !!

you may not need that center punch for the bead ends. Depending whether you have many or just a few ends, and if you need a 100% finish or a hand hammered end will do. These are the simple dies that I made from flat stock and steel tubing and a thick diam punch. large DLX floor ribs and the smaller is the typical front floor and pedal tray beads.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
you may not need that center punch for the bead ends.

The bulkhead ribs have distinctive ends that would be hard to get perfect without a stamp. Anyway, I want to see if 3D printed dies for the rib termination can be done easily.

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Since these are on the outer edge of the part, you could pretty easily incorporate a stamping die alignment device outside of the metal, so you can omit a centering punch. jmho.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Those bulkhead ribs look identical to the ribs on my 73 sc lower bulkhead, looking forward to learning how you reproduce them as I need to fabricate both sides of my bulkhead, and have been mulling over how to do it.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis, I'm very impressed with your 3D printed dies. Can you explain why you used PLA vs ABS? Is it because the ABS is too brittle under pressure? Also how long did they last? Long enough? I had not idea they can work on metal under pressure and I'd imagine at 100% or even your next 80% infill takes many hours to print. How long did it take to print each? Sorry for so many questions. My freshmen engineering students are just starting to 3D print projects on my printers here in New Jersey.

Applause Applause Applause

sgellis wrote:
Playing with my bead roller and die making.

I got a cheap bead roller and 3D printed a die set for the bulkhead. This was a first try and am very happy with how it worked. Printed dies show no damage and worked well on 18g. The 16g didn't go as well but that was mostly because the bead roller frame flexed too much. I am going to add bracing to the bead roller to remove most of the flex.

The dies were printed with cheap PLA at 100% infill. I will try 80% infill with 2mm wall thickness on next ones to see how they work. Also didn't use the set screws so will delete the hole and center the pattern. I would like to find some 19g steel for panel repair but seems hard to find in Canada... So the queston will be 20g or 18g for panel repair. I used 18g on my 64 and that worked well but not perfect on some butt welds.

Next I need to print some dies for stamping the bead roll ends. Hopping I can stamp the ends without using alignment pins but not likely to work.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: