Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

Good morning samba family. This is my first post on this forum. I’ve been using the samba for a lot of of my past Vanagon related questions but can’t find anything that’s ear abs straight forward about tdi swapping my 1.6td jx doka syncro with a tdi motor.

1. Which tdi motor is the most straight forward swap where I can use most of my 1.6 components. Like mounts and plumbing? From my research and correct me if I’m wrong an ahu tdi will achieve this

2. I found an alh tdi motor. Would I be able to make this a mechanical pump tdi m-tdi so I don’t have to stress over wiring and make it simpler. Also the vnt turbo on alh would I just use a stand-alone boost controller? Also would I need to fabricate mounts?

3. Being a syncro trans with a granny gear can I get away with not re-gearing trans and diffs if doing a 1.9 TDI whether it’s an ahu or alh?

4. If I wanted to just rebuild my 1.6 jx which is currently smoking like crazy (I suspect pistol rings bad. Thought it was bad turbo seals but I put in a new turbo) where can I purchase rebuild parts like piston and rings and gasket kits ? I’m located in San Diego. Also is it even worth rebuilding?

Photos of my doka

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Easiest, using parts you already have is an AHU/1z. Has all the mounts in the same places as your current engine and can be mounted at 50degrees. Where you go from the is up to you: etdi or mtdi. I think that the alh will work but with different mounting bars and engine mounts and not at 50 degrees. I installed a brand new AHU into my Vanagon using all the stock mounting parts with a few small modifications: AAZ intake and exhaust manifolds most importantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Easiest, using parts you already have is an AHU/1z. Has all the mounts in the same places as your current engine and can be mounted at 50degrees. Where you go from the is up to you: etdi or mtdi. I think that the alh will work but with different mounting bars and engine mounts and not at 50 degrees. I installed a brand new AHU into my Vanagon using all the stock mounting parts with a few small modifications: AAZ intake and exhaust manifolds most importantly.

So with a 1z ahu I can you my stock jx manifolds and even my stock turbo since it’s brand new?
syncroanddestroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

AHU will be easiest, everything is interchangeable unless it was a longitudinal engine out of a passat, then you'll need to fabricate engine mounts.

ALH requires new engine mounts, oil pan, oil pickup ect.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

I just got done installing a 1Z using JX manifolds, mounting hardware and cooling system. It's a fairly simple swap. I chose to use an mTDI pump from Waldo.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I just got done installing a 1Z using JX manifolds, mounting hardware and cooling system. It's a fairly simple swap. I chose to use an mTDI pump from Waldo.

How did you figure out the tuning for the mechanical pump? Also did you make an intercooler system for it ?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

This particular Syncro had an AAZ in it before, but it had all the JX bits, so I swapped them over from that engine. The AAZ also had a JX injection pump, but that wasn't swapped. Setting up an mTDI pump isn't all that much different than a JX, but there are some minor adjustments that your pump provider will supply with the unit. I don't know if Waldo currently has inventory, but last I heard Karl at Westyventures was selling a very similar unit. Both providers are top notch highly trustworthy sources.

Since you have a Doka, there's lots of room to work with in your engine bay. Personally, I prefer the 15 degree install for ease of service access and intercooling plumbing. This is my ALH set @ 15 degrees under the lid in a regular tintop van. If I had to choose between 50 and 15, I would always choose the latter. I also think the ALH is possibly one of the best engines VW ever produced.

y u rune klassik?
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This particular Syncro had an AAZ in it before, but it had all the JX bits, so I swapped them over from that engine. The AAZ also had a JX injection pump, but that wasn't swapped. Setting up an mTDI pump isn't all that much different than a JX, but there are some minor adjustments that your pump provider will supply with the unit. I don't know if Waldo currently has inventory, but last I heard Karl at Westyventures was selling a very similar unit. Both providers are top notch highly trustworthy sources.

Since you have a Doka, there's lots of room to work with in your engine bay. Personally, I prefer the 15 degree install for ease of service access and intercooling plumbing. This is my ALH set @ 15 degrees under the lid in a regular tintop van. If I had to choose between 50 and 15, I would always choose the latter. I also think the ALH is possibly one of the best engines VW ever produced.

The alh is alot more work to swap and a lot more fabricated. I think I’ve decided with a 1z ahu with a mechanical pump I can use all my stock parts and harness.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

That's a solid choice.

I bought the low mileage 1Z from Quality German in Cali. They have a checkered reputation, but I've been very happy with both the engine and the service they provided.

y u rune klassik?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Popcorn
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That's a solid choice.

I bought the low mileage 1Z from Quality German in Cali. They have a checkered reputation, but I've been very happy with both the engine and the service they provided.

That’s who I’m going to get the motor from ! Why the checkered reputation tho?? Anyone else have any leads on a ahu with a mtdi
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

I bought my engine from Cascade German in Oregaon. It was a brand new long block. BTW if you want to go the AAZ intake and exhaust route instead of using the JX stuff, I have a set that I can sell you. Years ago, I purchased a engine from Quality German auto parts in Cali. great used engine. Ran great and never smoked. Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

I bought my engine from Cascade German in Oregaon. It was a brand new long block. BTW if you want to go the AAZ intake and exhaust route instead of using the JX stuff, I have a set that I can sell you. Hayden
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

Popaled wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That's a solid choice.

That’s who I’m going to get the motor from ! Why the checkered reputation tho?? Anyone else have any leads on a ahu with a mtdi

I don't know anything about other experiences, but my communications and interactions with them were quite good. The engine was advertised as having 84k miles and I've seen nothing to refute that assertion. It came loose on the pallet during transport and cracked the intake manifold. When I reached out to them, they sent a replacement at no charge or argument.

y u rune klassik?
Popaled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
I bought my engine from Cascade German in Oregaon. It was a brand new long block. BTW if you want to go the AAZ intake and exhaust route instead of using the JX stuff, I have a set that I can sell you. Hayden

I sent you a pm.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

[quote="syncroanddestroy"]AHU will be easiest, everything is interchangeable unless it was a longitudinal engine out of a passat, then you'll need to fabricate engine mounts.

Any chance these mounts are available from the aftermarket?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

[quote="ndorian"]
syncroanddestroy wrote:
AHU will be easiest, everything is interchangeable unless it was a longitudinal engine out of a passat, then you'll need to fabricate engine mounts.

Any chance these mounts are available from the aftermarket?

Just the right side mount will be needed. You can buy the mount from Germany or an adapter plate. Look up tdi umbau halter, that'll bring up stuff on your search results.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

TDI umbau halter. Got it, thank you.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

Does anyone know how Quality German can offer early tdi motors with 70-90,000 miles on them year after year into 2022?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com/index.php?p=...3%20Series

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: