Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

I haven't had a bug since circa 1990, plenty of other aircooled busses, 914, 911 though.
Stoked to have found this! Been driving by it for 10 years in my neighborhood. Finally talked to owner, who said the fuel pump(?) Quit in 2014 and it hasn't moved since.
Still FI intact...pan looks solid, 👌
I'll be checking in for advice from time to time to get this running!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First wash before my wife sees it!

pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Nice!
FunkyOldPatina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

That's cool, love the colour!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Nice!! Hope you're keeping it FI!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Looks like the factory color....how bout some more photos like engine and interior.
Now your wife can see how clean it is.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Nice!! Hope you're keeping it FI!

+1

It will run better, cleaner and more efficiently with a properly working fuel injection system. I've owned two fuel injected 76's and never had a problem. My current 76 is carbureted and doesn't run as well as the fuel injected ones I had. I'm planning on converting back to FI eventually and have two complete sets of FI parts that I bought here.

Your car cleaned up really nicely. Good score!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

All right more picts.

I had to strip the interior today. The rear window has been leaking for god knows how many years...It was saturated by the parcel tray. Puddles by the battery and rear floors. Surprised there wasn't more rust. So far one small rust hole all the way through in the battery tray only. I had the original tar boards still in tack. Sunroof opens nicely, but skips teeth upon closing.

A little cleaner wax and the Miami Blau is coming back nicely! The seats are absolutely toast, I need replacements....Any one with a set in the PNW?

Appears to be all original paint. No damage to the front, a few fender dents and one small door dent. Original bias spare holds air!

Speaking of which, the drivers door is full of water, okay to drill a small hole for drainage?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

There should be some drain holes at the bottom already, might just need to clear them?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Great pics I can almost smell that VW. Later 70s cars starting to gain some respect it seems. I had a 74 and a 73 both Marina Blue many years ago and now got a 74 yellow bug.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

When I was a teenager in the mid 1970's I really liked Miami Blue. It was the color of my dad's fuel-injected '75 Audi Fox sedan. When it came time to paint my dull grey '62 Beetle, I chose Miami blue and painted it with Martin-Senour acrylic enamel outdoors with a rented air compressor and spray gun.

Now to your fuel pump: I have no experience with the fuel injected engines, but... back in 2004 I drove my Fastback to the Type 3 Invasion in Hershey, PA. The tech team was attempting to get a locally found "barn find" fuel injected car started. They traced power to the fuel pump which was also up front near the fuel tank, but the pump did not work. One of the experts tried switching the 12 V and ground jumper wires at the pump, hoping that the "reverse shock" would budge the internal pump vanes. And it did! With a few more such shock pulses, the pump ended up working again when reconnected properly. So I suggest you try this first on yours; it costs nothing.

Looking forward to updates on your getting it running and driveable.
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Aww yeah, now we're talking. I love the late FI beetles (I have a '76 and a '77).

Looks like a great project bug. '75 was the first year for FI and there are a couple things that are different. I think they have a temp sensor 1 where later models didn't.

Post updates!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
Aww yeah, now we're talking. I love the late FI beetles (I have a '76 and a '77).

Looks like a great project bug. '75 was the first year for FI and there are a couple things that are different. I think they have a temp sensor 1 where later models didn't.

Post updates!

Will do.
Basically my plan is to weathertight it (window seals, etc), prep the floors to stop further rust, epoxy and paint, get the engine to run, then brakes and finally interior. While I continue to buff the paint, and other shit,etc.

I think I did pretty good for $750.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

That's nice looking.

In the trunk there is a hose missing that goes from the fresh air down under the car. That goes missing and causes the trunk to rust right above the master cylinder.

On the drivers side floorboard it looks like you got some water. While you have the seats out you might inspect the brake lines that travel there. They rust quite easily when water gets into the car.

You may also want to check the drain tubes on the sunroof to make sure that doesn't fill with water. There's 4 tubes coming down.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

I just got window seals ordered, the rear seal was leaking badly. All the sunroof drains are cleared. I got all new fuel lines and vacuum lines coming. Cleaned and sealed the fuel tank. I'm going to work on brakes tomorrow.

Pans have some holes, not too bad, but bad enough I can't decide what to do. Here is the worst of it:

Suggestions? I don't think it warrants pan replacement, but maybe some cut and weld at those spots...or something else. Like All Metal filler to get me by for a while?

I plan to treat with ospho, apply some master coating and top coat.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

It all depends on what your plans are for later.

A temporary quick fix is what ever you have available to you that is laying around. I have fiber glassing laying around so I use it for a temporary fix.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pernest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

I agree. Ospho, wire brush, fiberglass and paint As long as its still structural, that's what I'd do unless I was striving for a concours restoration.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Fiberglass will only hold moisture and make what is left rust faster. I've seen it too many times to count.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Shocked $750 and all it needs to run is a fuel pump??

Id say you flat stole it!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Shocked $750 and all it needs to run is a fuel pump??

Id say you flat stole it!

Well, that is what the last owner said...I tested the fuel pump, it works fine. So maybe its the double relay. I haven't tried to start it until I replace the fuel lines and vacuum lines. I just got the fuel tank cleaned and sealed with Red-Kote. Now I am waiting on my Belmetric fuel lines...FedEx has them stuck on the east coast for a week now.

The brake reservoir was empty...but I don't see the main hard line leaking, so maybe the all fluid ran out the wheel Cylinders over the last 8 years. I might just go ahead and order new wheel cylinders and rubber brake lines.
HaggardMelon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Came home with a '75 standard sunroof bug today! Reply with quote

Very cool! Glad to see it's going to a new home and will get some attention. I've always wondered how fuel injection would be on one of these. Haven't experienced that personally. I think that's the same color as the original for my car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: