Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift tube hits top adjuster
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jjones659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey guys,

I have a adjustable beam on my bus. I changed my mind on how low I wanted it so I got the front jacked back up. Problem is that my shift tube is hitting the top adjuster nut so it's causing problems. Is there anything I can do to fix this besides lowering the front back down? I'm assuming both top and adjusters should be set at about the amount of teeth? Just wondering if I can lower just the top adjuster. Or find a different smaller nut to put on it
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

you can try the nut first but i am thinking you may have to cut the rod and box it in for clearance

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Is this thread for real?

To me it is the same as hey - I piled boxes in front of the garage because I wanted to but now my car is blocked and I can't get it out of the garage. Can I get the car out or do I need to move the boxes back to where they were before and unblock the car?

Look at the freaking bend in the shifter rod. Put in a stock beam if you want stock height, or like Skills said, box the shift rod. There could be other answers in the lowering sticky.
Jjones659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Is this thread for real?

To me it is the same as hey - I piled boxes in front of the garage because I wanted to but now my car is blocked and I can't get it out of the garage. Can I get the car out or do I need to move the boxes back to where they were before and unblock the car?

Look at the freaking bend in the shifter rod. Put in a stock beam if you want stock height, or like Skills said, box the shift rod. There could be other answers in the lowering sticky.

Thanks sgkent. Can't believe I never thought of that. I mean for the price of a new beam and all the work it would take to replace the beam, this is the obvious answer to my problems. Not cranking the adjusters up and trying to make the one I have work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

You might be able to put a zig zag in the shift rod so it runs to the side enough to clear the nut, or just deepen the existing bend. Either way your shift rod will end up about 1/8" shorter which shouldn't hurt much.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Jjones659 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Is this thread for real?

Thanks sgkent. Can't believe I never thought of that. I mean for the price of a new beam and all the work it would take to replace the beam, this is the obvious answer to my problems. Not cranking the adjusters up and trying to make the one I have work.

If you go over to the lowering thread and search it, you may find others who have gone thru it and come up with solutions. Those people could be long gone now and never come here anymore so they won't read your post, but they may have left a thread on how they solved it. You can also talk to the manufacturer of the beam and see if they have suggestions. Good luck. I've never had much luck putting square pegs into round holes without some fabrication involved.
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

mark the range of the rod where the nut touches the rod (lol) and just hammer it flat - doesnt look like its touching by much.
Elibomrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Yep mine did that when I changed the beam
Here in the uk they do a special shift Rod with extra big kink for clearance

See www.justkampers.com

Gear Rod for Adjustable Front Beam VW T2 Bay 1967-1973
JK PART NUMBER: J42805
OEM PART NUMBER: 211-711-155/D

Sorted it for me…
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Elibomrod wrote:
Yep mine did that when I changed the beam
Here in the uk they do a special shift Rod with extra big kink for clearance

See www.justkampers.com

Gear Rod for Adjustable Front Beam VW T2 Bay 1967-1973
JK PART NUMBER: J42805
OEM PART NUMBER: 211-711-155/D

Sorted it for me…

There you go, 2 left. Lots of that odd stuff is fabricated in Lithuania, Ukraine, Estonia. etc and reboxed in the UK or DE so best get it soon.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Looks like some Ebrake cable clearence issues too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

I had this same issue with my beam. I first clearanced the stock shift rod to clear the adjuster, but did not box it in for support. I figured the force on the rod was minimal, but I ended up snapping the shift rod in half shifting normally. I then purchased the CSP shift rod made for this issue:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/front-shift-rod-bus-711-155-211v-27632c.html

It's a great piece and well worth the money unless you are going to fabricate your own. Highly recommended.
Jjones659
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift tube hits top adjuster Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't know they made a shift rod for this problem. I'm going to get one ordered!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: