Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

I have had the unfortunate experience of building my motor only to discover that one of my oil galley plugs was not seated correctly in my new case.

I've been living with some epoxy over the plug to slow the leak, and it has worked some. But it's still leaking.

I think I already know the answer, but thought I'd ask just in case I missed something.

Here's the question:
Is there any way to pull out and replace the plug without having to tear down the motor?

My understanding is that it has to get drilled out, and that would put a bunch of metal shavings in my case.

So the only way to do it is to disassemble the entire motor, drill, replace, and rebuild.

Am I missing a potentially easier solution?

Thank you
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

Depending on which plug it is, you could try peening around the plug with a center punch, as a FIX, the solution is as you said, disassembly and drill and tap.
Never tried it, but the plugs are tapered cups, it may be possible to drive it in a bit more (1/16-1/Cool and it might seal up in new part of hole dia. make sure you have a punch that fits it accurately, then possibly new epoxy over it?
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Depending on which plug it is, you could try peening around the plug with a center punch, as a FIX, the solution is as you said, disassembly and drill and tap.
Never tried it, but the plugs are tapered cups, it may be possible to drive it in a bit more (1/16-1/Cool and it might seal up in new part of hole dia. make sure you have a punch that fits it accurately, then possibly new epoxy over it?

Ok, I think I could take a look at that.
But it's already a little too far driven into the case - Which is why I think it's leaking.

I'll think on that - It might be doable to warp the plug enough to seal up better. But then again, It might make it leak more! HA!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

You say that the plug is "a little too far driven into the case." Is it possible the case could develop a crack at the threaded port?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

Post a photo
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about press in plugs?

This is a backyard hack but I’d consider the effort and money that a pull apart and reseal is going to cost.

I’d be willing to just drill a small hole with a greased up drill bit. Drill through then reverse the drill to pull out most of the big bits.Screw in a sturdy self tapper and then pull it out with a small puller. You’d have to rig up some washers or something for the puller to grip onto. Of course if the plug is not too shallow you wouldn’t have to drill all the way through.

If the screw comes out and you have to drill bigger then I still would not be too worried about too much swarf entering. The level of oil in the galley should push out the garbage.

You could get all clever and add some thinner flushing oil/kerosine to the engine to build up the “head pressure” for added insurance. Of course you would be changing the oil anyway.

If you can determine that the galley is on the pressure side you could crank the engine before reinstalling a new plug and force any crap out for sure.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
I assume you are talking about press in plugs?

This is a backyard hack but I’d consider the effort and money that a pull apart and reseal is going to cost.

I’d be willing to just drill a small hole with a greased up drill bit. Drill through then reverse the drill to pull out most of the big bits.Screw in a sturdy self tapper and then pull it out with a small puller. You’d have to rig up some washers or something for the puller to grip onto. Of course if the plug is not too shallow you wouldn’t have to drill all the way through.

If the screw comes out and you have to drill bigger then I still would not be too worried about too much swarf entering. The level of oil in the galley should push out the garbage.

You could get all clever and add some thinner flushing oil/kerosine to the engine to build up the “head pressure” for added insurance. Of course you would be changing the oil anyway.

If you can determine that the galley is on the pressure side you could crank the engine before reinstalling a new plug and force any crap out for sure.

Yes, Press in Plugs from the factory.
This Could be clever, but it still makes me nervous to have any metal debris end up in the oil galley - But as you say, if it was on the pressure side, and pressurized, it would just push the shards, if any, out.
Also with some grease on the drill bit threads, I can see how that might hold some of the swarf.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

You could just try driving in a very short wood screw, with the hopes that will expand the plug a bit into the hole.

Desperate times call for desperate measures...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
You could just try driving in a very short wood screw, with the hopes that will expand the plug a bit into the hole.

Desperate times call for desperate measures...

That's some fine redneck engineering, pal!

Laugh all you want, but this just might fix it and last another 50K miles! What's to lose? Just use a little locktite so it can't back out.

Genius.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

If its at the rear of the engine, jack the rear end up has high as you can so that there is no oil resting against the plug. Spray the area with carb cleaner, then put a sanding drum on a dremel and sand the case and plug until both are clean. Spray it with carb cleaner and blow or wipe dry. Watch for anything seeping out. If it remains dry, cover the area with JB Quick Weld.

This will work as long as there is no seepage at the plug. There is virtually no oil pressure working against the JB Weld, it is more of a seepage leak.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
If its at the rear of the engine, jack the rear end up has high as you can so that there is no oil resting against the plug. Spray the area with carb cleaner, then put a sanding drum on a dremel and sand the case and plug until both are clean. Spray it with carb cleaner and blow or wipe dry. Watch for anything seeping out. If it remains dry, cover the area with JB Quick Weld.

This will work as long as there is no seepage at the plug. There is virtually no oil pressure working against the JB Weld, it is more of a seepage leak.

Unfortunately it's at the front of the engine and weeps at the bell housing like it's the main seal leak - But it's not, it's an oil galley plug.
J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: oil galley plug heavy weeping (... Oil leak) 1970 Stock Beetle Reply with quote

Feb 2023 I took the motor to an engine builder near me.
John Morris Race Engines - Port Orchard Wa. / Gorst

He called when disassembling to let me know that the case nuts came off WAY too easily. The case half looked oily prior to disassembly and didn't notice anything around the oil galleys plugs.

He also noticed an absence or extremely thin sealant on the north end of the case behind the flywheel...

Regardless. Had him go through the motor, full-flow, and reseal it. Driven it twice, no leaks 🤞
Hoping it stays that way for the rest of summer.

He used Curil T for the case halves.

I'm going to have him do the valves and check torques after I get some miles on it 🤙
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: