Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

Anybody want to share their experience with making the curved rear panels out of 1/8" baltic birch? Not intending to install side closets. I don't have templates, and they appear to have some complex angles that may lend themselves to utilizing a string of multiple explitives and frustration, which I would prefer to circumvent....help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

There is not much to it. 3mm baltic birch will bend fairly easily. Building a steambox and steaming them may help if you are struggling. Make a cardboard template first and then transfer it to the birch to get the dimensions correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Page 3 should help you, but the entire thread is certainly worth a read. Incredible vision and craftsmanship.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
There is not much to it. 3mm baltic birch will bend fairly easily. Building a steambox and steaming them may help if you are struggling. Make a cardboard template first and then transfer it to the birch to get the dimensions correct.

The 3mm birch plywood I used will bend easily in one direction but not in the other. Made that experience with my front door cards. I had to make a new set because I did not watch the direction of the gain.

I used the plans from the above mentioned thread to make my panels, they worked our really well.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

Great stuff guys, thanks a lot, I'm on it !
EJZero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
buseric wrote:

The 3mm birch plywood I used will bend easily in one direction but not in the other. Made that experience with my front door cards. I had to make a new set because I did not watch the direction of the gain.

I used the plans from the above mentioned thread to make my panels, they worked our really well.

Can you please elaborate on grain direction versus bending? I’m planning on starting my interior build in the spring, and would rather not make that mistake!
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

The grain of the Baltic Birch should go North-South, up and down. Makes it easy to form to the door curve.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

AKdude wrote:
Anybody want to share their experience with making the curved rear panels out of 1/8" baltic birch? Not intending to install side closets. I don't have templates, and they appear to have some complex angles that may lend themselves to utilizing a string of multiple explitives and frustration, which I would prefer to circumvent....help?

I can make them for you. Please let me know if you mean upper or lower corners, and what year and model bus.
If lower, is it a walk through?
The corner panels can be mailed by USPS.

I made these in my 66 kombi
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

Anyone have a clue why the rear luggage area panels had those corner notches cut into them? I've always thought they were an oddity.

When I install these in a large hatch bus using Masonite/hardboard material, I locate the front edge into the window surround sheet metal and clamp them down through the window opening. You can then push them into the corner (not all the way), then clamp in to set overnight. You can then push them the rest of the way into position and install the rear/perimeter screws.

If you have a standard with the rear corner channels at the hatch opening: the panel will sit on top of that channel overnight, then pushed into position until fully seated. Soaking the backside with a wet towel in the area that bends helps. If you are using birch, you may be able to do them in one shot without wetting b/c the birch is much more flexible. Small hatch panels are done similarly and are much easier since the bend is not quite as severe.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Rear Corner Quarterpanel Fabrication- How To? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Anyone have a clue why the rear luggage area panels had those corner notches cut into them? I've always thought they were an oddity.

That pattern is for the microbuses, which also take lower corner panels. I think that is so the screws don't need to be longer to grab. The lower panel covers the notches.

The one in the Cragar kombi ( wood panel I posted before) was the first one I installed in a 64-67. After than I made them w/o notches if for kombis
like this in a 60 kombi:

Installing, it fit easier than I thought it would, but you do need to be careful and slow..

Yes, the later ones have a tighter cure than the earlier ones, so the earlier ones are easier to fit. Kombi version I set the front in place first, then pushed the back back into the bend.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: