Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Looking good! I would totally recommend putting some deadener in the doors/quarter panels, and greasing/lubing up the window regulator/channels. They are usually dried out and will benefit from some sauce.

I would get a battery cover while you have the back seat out. You can use some SEM black vinyl paint for those armrest and with proper prep they will look really good.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Combine that product with this one, and for less than $20 you can add $20K to the value of the car!
Wink

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
what did you use for sound deadener? Looks great

Noico 80 Mil deadening mat. I bought is from Amazon, it came with 36 sq feet. If I remember correctly, that was the smallest quantity they sold. I bought it back in 2019 for my ‘71 Westy. I just used what I had left over.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Looking good! I would totally recommend putting some deadener in the doors/quarter panels, and greasing/lubing up the window regulator/channels. They are usually dried out and will benefit from some sauce.

I would get a battery cover while you have the back seat out. You can use some SEM black vinyl paint for those armrest and with proper prep they will look really good.

I lubed the window regulators, they work a lot better now. I will line the channels when I put in new scrapers. I didn’t deaden the doors b/c there was factory deadening on them already. Probably should have tho, oh well…🤷‍♂️
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Combine that product with this one, and for less than $20 you can add $20K to the value of the car!
Wink

Wise ass!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I lubed the window regulators, they work a lot better now. I will line the channels when I put in new scrapers. I didn’t deaden the doors b/c there was factory deadening on them already. Probably should have tho, oh well…🤷‍♂️

I think I used heavy silicone spray in the up and down channels. It seemed to work pretty good. The factory deadener does seem to be pretty good. Mine had some moisture build up so I had to strip them off.

When you buy scrapers get them from CIP1(I can't believe I am recommending them Embarassed ) their version actually worked. After 2 pair of Wolfsburg West I gave up. Theirs the clips were misaligned both times.

Keep up the killer work!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Pretty good day with the car. After I got the temp tags I installed a new trunk seal, new blinker seals, new tail light seals, license plate bracket and a new grab bar. Then I took it to town, washed it before my eye appointment and when I got home I put the Patina Sauce on it. The car has a set a balls and is a blast to drive. It’s definitely not quite.

The speed bump came when I got home. Last week I brought the idle up a bit, but after driving it today and working everything in it was pretty high. So I brought it back down to where I liked it, went to turn it off and my oil light was on. 🤬 I sent a video to my builder and he thinks it’s the oil sender. He stated he installed a used one I had in the box of parts I dropped off with the car. Well, I certainly hope that’s the issue cause this guys build quality is beyond excellent. He left me a new sender in his mailbox and I’ll be up and out early to go get it and install it before my 10am vin inspection. 🤞

I remember chasing an issue with my bus for a few thousand miles, it’s always something. At least it’s not leaking. 😂

Patina Sauce on the passenger side. It definitely spices it up a bit, I’ll take a pic of it in the sun tomorrow.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I was up and out early, I took my ‘71 to the Vdub shop and got a new oil sender. When I got back I installed it and that fixed the issue, phew… 😮‍💨. The on I headed to the gas station for its first fill up in decades. After that I drive to the trooper barracks for the vin inspection. That was a breeze, best $50 I spent so far on this preservation. Off to the DMV!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Nice! This pic is a nice candidate for the "At The Pumps" thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249497
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

^I'll be sure to cross post that pic there. I have a bunch of bus pics like that, I’ll keep that thread in mind for the future.

After the vin inspection I headed to the DMV. All the people who helped me yesterday were there and were stoked I drove the Beetle there. They were over the top nice and took extremely good care of me. They even filled out all the title paperwork for me, I love living in a small town!!!

After that I drove around a bunch, that was super fun. I can see some suspension work in my future. When I got home I adjusted the front brakes and installed the Thule ski rack. Not sure how I like the look, but I know I’m gonna like the functionality of the rack. Especially since I plan on driving it to the ski resort the next 3 days. Holla!!! 🎿 ⛷ 🏂

I also sent an email to buy a Kats VW-15 sump heater from the classifieds. I have one on my bus and I’m stoked there is one still available to purchase. My bus is a lot happier during cold winter starts with the Kats heater and I’m sure the beetle will be too.

Here’s a pic of the car in the sun with the Patina Sauce, I think it adds a nice sheen.

Here’s one with the Thule ski rack installed, might not be everyone’s cup of tea but the functionality is key to me.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Heck yeah, congrats on getting it roadworthy and legal! the ski rack looks nice and functional, but it's easy enough to take off if you put the car in a show.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Thanks vwuberalles!!!

Did a bunch of honey do’s today I had been putting off all week so I could work on the car. But, I did manage to get some car stuff done. I pulled both headlights, painted the buckets and installed new seals when I put them back together. I also put new rear grab straps and coat hooks in. Now my WW box is empty.

I didn’t end up going skiing and we got tickets to the Snowdown Follies. Snowdown is a winter celebration festival that Durango throws every winter. The Follies are a big local thing to do and tickets are hard to come buy, we had them offered to us and snagged them up! So needless to say I won’t be skiing tomorrow either, since we’ll most likely be out late. Skiing on Sunday for sure tho!

So, maybe tomorrow I’ll conquer the door seals. I’ve been sitting on this job cause im really not stoked to do it.

Here’s the buckets, I used Krylon Nickel cause that’s what I had in the cabinet. I know it should be gray, but this is close enough for me.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

^^ Those are "HELLA" cool! ^^ d'oh! Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Not much happening over the last week, just work. But, this week I’m on vacation. Dancing

Things I want to get done this week:
Finish the trunk
Install new trunk seal
Install new door seals
Sound deaden the interior
Install the new flooring
Install headlight seals
Paint the headlight buckets
Install blinker seals
Install tail light seals
Install the seats
Install the new door cards
Undercoat
Install ski rack
Clean the windows
Coat with Patina Sauce
Get vin inspection
Take it skiing on Friday

Just about the end of my vacation and I’m happy to say, I got everything on my list done. As well as a bunch of “honey do’s.” It was a successful week of from work and we will be wrapping it up with a trip in the car to the ski resort tomorrow. Samba member Mtnbus will be at the mountain as well and is gonna bring all his extra VW keys and see if he has a match for my doors. It’s a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Today I installed the new door seals, adjusted the clutch and put a 3rd coat of Sauce on it.

Brazilian door seals.

Looks good with the Sauce on it

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It was 5° out this morning when I went to fire the car up and…it didn’t want to start. 😞 I tried for about 15 minutes before I had to make the decision to go before we were late for Ski School, they don’t wait for you. I’m 100% sure it would have fired, as it was trying to towards the end, but I could waste anymore time we had to go. 🤷‍♂️

Last week I ordered a Kat’s VW-15 sump heater from the classifieds. It was the only I could find on the inter-web, which surprised me a bit. I have one for my bus I purchased back in 2013, that one cost me $35 and the one I just bought cost $75. Both were NOS with all the tabs and in the original boxes, so that’s cool. Anyway, I’m sure that will help my cold starts. My bus starts a lot better in the cold with the heater and I’m sure the bug will as well.

When we get home I’ll fire it up, take it for a drive and get shit moving. Tomorrow is another day.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Well, it was 40° when I got home from skiing and it fired at n the first turn of the key. I guess it wasn’t meant to be this morning. We drove it for a bit to get the fluid moving and charge the battery.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Think I might have the cold start down, by cold start I mean below 10°. I got it to right up this morning. The drive to work was great, the heat in that car is ridiculous 🔥. Maybe all Beetles have good heat, I don’t know. But I have all OG stuff in my bus and it definitely take a lot longer to produce the heat the Beetle does pretty much instantly.

After work I found a dark spot with a wall and adjusted the headlights. They seem to be pointed pretty good, no issues seeing on the drive home tonight.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Got the cold start down now.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

That's an awesome picture!

So what was the cold start issue?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
So what was the cold start issue?

The carbs are old. They came off a ‘70 Vert my buddy bought in the early 90’s and back then we use to make jokes about how old they were. Once they get going they idle and preform fine. It just takes a little sweet talking to get them going when it’s cold out (like below 20°). It just took some a week to figure out the right things to say…
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 18

Jump to: