Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Lid Lock thoughts?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

95% of US drivers can’t open their hood on the road, but their cars don’t burn up unless they are Teslas.

Maintain your fuel system and wiring, lock up your engine with impunity
Randytheorgfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Hello Guys!

I was reading about Jake Raby. I put this in my notes for fire control, Jake uses this cheap system called Blazecut an automatic fire suppression system.
I will be using it on our 75 Riviera bus.

Randy
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

This is certainly not everyone's solution....
I would not do this to the exterior of my bus... but...

On Big Emma, we installed an exterior hasp for a padlock. And an internal battery cut off.

Big Emma is a 'world traveler', often, frankly, is visiting sketchy locations. The purpose of having this on the exterior and visible is to discourage someone from even trying to open it. Usually these are crimes of opportunity and speed, so something that says it will be more difficult than it is worth, is typically all that is needed.

Anyone that REALLY wants to get in .... can and will.

FYI - we also installed 'hidden' locks on all the doors (and windows). It can all be bolted closed in about a minute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randytheorgfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Hello Again,

The fire suppression system goes in the engine compartment. Totally self contained.

Randy
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

The BlazeCut system is self contained.

We have it in both of our buses (the shorter version).
There are several threads about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the input. You are the best.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Blaze cut won’t save you from a fuel fed fire.

Fix your bus. Then stop worrying about it
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Folks here seem to be way overthinking this.

I use an engine compartment lock in any place that I think people might mess with it. When I lock it, I also open the large knife switch that I have on the negative battery terminal. This serves as a theft deterrent, since the bus won't run with no battery, and a (casual) thief cannot get into the engine compartment to connect it.

It also means that if I want to use the car I need to unlock the engine compartment and reattach the negative battery terminal. Not a big problem.

I never drive with the engine compartment locked. My system ensures that.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

My views are in the case of a fire you shouldn't be opening the engine hatch anyway, you should be tackling it down the vents, if you open up the engine hatch all you are doing is supplying oxygen to the fire, high chance you will get a flashback, which will burn you

I do not have a lock on mine as I live in a relatively safe place, but I do maintain my hoses etc and I also have a 3m BlazeCut installed on the roof of the engine bay, If something happened I'd be tackling it down the vents
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
My views are in the case of a fire you shouldn't be opening the engine hatch anyway, you should be tackling it down the vents, if you open up the engine hatch all you are doing is supplying oxygen to the fire, high chance you will get a flashback, which will burn you

I do not have a lock on mine as I live in a relatively safe place, but I do maintain my hoses etc and I also have a 3m BlazeCut installed on the roof of the engine bay, If something happened I'd be tackling it down the vents

x2 and under the engine as that is where fuel will drip. With the average car extinguisher, unless you catch a fire in the first 30 - 45 seconds or so it gets out of hand so fast that a firetruck is needed to put it out. I've put out quite a few car fires in the 70's - 90's before solid fuel rails etc., and after about a minute on a fuel fire it is too large.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

I have blazecut and I won't lock it while driving, ever since the drive home from purchasing the bus and it jammed at the first stop. I worried about potential fuel leaks or worse, even with the blazecut. I also carried a manual FE which as posted would be aimed under the car.
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

The Blaze Cut explodes when it reaches a certain temperature. The explosion creates a very loud "Bang" which should be an earlier warning that there is a fire back there. Otherwise one could continue to drive for a while before noticing a fire. You obviously will need additional fire extinguisher or two. Like others have said spray the fire extinguisher down the engine bay vents from above. Some have tired to open the hatch but waist precious time.
I consider the blaze cut as a fire warning alarm system.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

BlazeCut isn't a one and done solution, but as posted, it gives some warning, and more importantly, can give a precious 10-15 seconds of suppression before the fire can start up again. That can be a lifesaver, or a Bus-saver, giving you time to exit and maybe take further actions.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

Did just that roughly 30 years ago. No attempts.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
jeridmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Lid Lock thoughts? Reply with quote

I have the blaze cut system going to be installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: