Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vinyl convertible top
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

What’s recommended to clean a vert top?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Hey! Another WV beetle! Nice Cool

For the outside, I'd say just the nice mild car wash soap as usual.

For inside, maybe this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06524-VLR-VinylLeatherRubber-Care/dp/B004N63S9W

Did a decent job on some spots on my headliner
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

👍🏻 How about a finish of armor all for the outside?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

KSKI wrote:
👍🏻 How about a finish of armor all for the outside?

ArmorAll doesn't really handle the outside elements very well. Probably would wear off quick.

There's this stuff for marine vinyl:
https://www.amazon.com/303-30305-Protectant-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B00JREJ9WU

Could consider it.

As always test in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it doesn't discolor anything
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

You might Google- Raggtopp Convertible Cleaner, Amazon sells both types Canvas and vinyl. . If your top is in bad condition, it's probably not going to work very well so I would use a diluted Simple Green. Raggtop also sells a sealer. Armorall is a no-go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

I say just water. And VERY mild soap if you must. My own top on my 1971 Convertible is 38 years old, but I kept the top covered when out in the sun; UV is way worse than the heat. Today I drove it with top up, and parked it in the shade at the two places I stopped, even if the shady spots were farther away.

So why did I get a new top back in 1980? I had lent the convertible to my best girlfriend for a month, and she decided to wash and Armor-All the top when she returned it to me. It cracked in a zillion places the next time I tried to lower the top.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

BUGGED11111 wrote:
Armorall is a no-go

Yep, I've heard not to use Amour-all on your tires... I sure wouldn't use it on my top. I'd leave the top to very mild soap and 303 Protectant for tires/UV exposed rubber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
So why did I get a new top back in 1980? I had lent the convertible to my best girlfriend for a month, and she decided to wash and Armor-All the top when she returned it to me. It cracked in a zillion places the next time I tried to lower the top.

I did contact Armor-All back then, and even sent a sample of the cracked to "to their lab"; they denied that their product was a factor.

At about the same time my brother had a Fiat that was a couple of years old, and he was concerned that the dash would crack, so he used Armor-All on that, and it cracked within a few weeks.

Maybe what we experienced were both just anomalies, and were unlucky.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice and warning
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Go to autogeek.net and check out their products for vinyl tops. You want something with a UV protectant. Raggtop, 303 Aerospace, and Duragloss have products with UV protectant for vinyl tops. Clean with car wash soap, let dry, apply products, then wipe off excess is the normal application routine.

Here is a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M31Mmetnioc
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

My "white" top is vinyl and it was very dirty as the car was stored for about 6 years. After several top products from the local auto store nothing seemed to work. Turns out these products were more for canvas type tops.

So I started reading and found someone that had used some sort of mildew and mold cleaner in a vinyl top (not a beetle conv). The magic ingredient was bleach based on an internet search of the product. Couldn't find that product so I turned to the next best thing Soft Scrub with bleach. Did small 1 ft by 1 ft spots at a time, making sure the entire car was completely wet to avoid bleach from staying on painted surfaces too long. Used a new brush from a dollar store and wiped most of the Soft Scrub with a towel. Afterwards gave a good wash to the car. The vinyl top was shiny all over again although my arms hurt for a couple of days.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
The magic ingredient was bleach based on an internet search of the product. Couldn't find that product so I turned to the next best thing Soft Scrub with bleach.

1. I can't recommend any bleach product for a convertible top.

2. When I was working, Soft Scrub with bleach was one of our products. It doesn't contain that much bleach.
anywhereanytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Good thread, so I will continue. Just got a 1979 Black Vert and am looking for any new inputs to both deep clean, preserve and UV protect the black Vert top.

I wouldn't touch Amour based on both terrible personal experience and many friends. Perhaps, they have changed the formula but not for me.

So, I had a boat for many years and the 303 sounds good, but any other comments or updates as it is now 2022?
anywhereanytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Since this thread is so old, I spent a few hours reading and watching YouTube videos about various techniques and products for vinyl top deep cleaning and follow-on protection from UV, etc. Two products I spent time watching was the various Ragtopp and 403 "Marine Grade" products. While this video is not the best, the COMMENTS were quite enlightening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPntcGKY6mM

So, I ordered the 403 cleaner and marine vinyl protectant and should receive in a few days and will apply to my 1979 Bug Triple Black Vert top and report back.
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

anywhereanytime wrote:
Since this thread is so old, I spent a few hours reading and watching YouTube videos about various techniques and products for vinyl top deep cleaning and follow-on protection from UV, etc. Two products I spent time watching was the various Ragtopp and 403 "Marine Grade" products. While this video is not the best, the COMMENTS were quite enlightening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPntcGKY6mM

So, I ordered the 403 cleaner and marine vinyl protectant and should receive in a few days and will apply to my 1979 Bug Triple Black Vert top and report back.

Yeah the vid is pretty useless. They didn't even wait for the protectant to dry before hosing it off.

I've had a few verts over the years and bounced around between brands of cleaner and protectant. I never came up with a clear winner. I think for cleaner it really depends on the condition of the top as to what you will need and what works best. I never found any that will remove serious dirt or stains. But for a top in good condition I like Raggtop. I've only had cars with replaced cloth tops and don't know about vinyl. They're birds of a very different feather with different cleaners and protectants. Do 79's have vinyl? I always thought they had cloth. Maybe not. But you'll note the vid and comments I read are talking about cloth tops.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Myself - and my top was installed back in 1980 - I have NEVER used any soap, detergent, or protectant on it - just water and a clean rag. I do have a garage space, so I minimize its time in direct sunlight.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I think the question on everyone's mind at this point is: Did she remain your "best girlfriend" after that??? :p
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
I think the question on everyone's mind at this point is: Did she remain your "best girlfriend" after that??? :p

She says #1 !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

She must be some gal!!!! Hold on for all you're worth Cusser! Very Happy
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl convertible top Reply with quote

1979 Triple blacks all came with black vinyl tops. I believe every convertible came with vinyl. When I got my 79 in 1993 it still had the original vinyl top. It was in rough shape with 2 holes where the hinges had pinched the vinyl. I replaced it with a Robbins Canvas style and it still looks amazing after 25 years. I only use car wash soap on it when I wash the car and once a year I give it the Raggtop cleaner with a soft bristle brush and then apply the protectant. Of course mine lives in a garage and out of the elements.
Good luck with your Epilogue. Post pictures. We all love pics..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: