Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how long has your gas water heater lasted?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long has your gas water heater lasted you
0-5 years
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
5-10 years
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
10-15 years
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
15-20 years
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
20+
48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 41

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I have been in my home now for a year and a half. Upon moving in, I knew I would need a new water heater. Fast forward to now, and my water heater is still alive and kicking. I am now considering replacing it before it goes kaput. I am really on borrowed time right now.

My water heater has a date on it of 1988. yes, 1988! That is not a typo. So 34 years old!!!! Regardless if it had a 6, 9, or whatever year warranty, I'd say this water heater has had a good long life.

which brings me to this next question............how long has your water heater lasted you before having to replace it? can anyone beat 34 years?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

38 years & still running for our electric hot water heater!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

When the bottom falls out then you know it’s time to replace.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

That’s incredible for a gas water heater. 15 years is good.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Depends somewhat on the water supply. In San Diego our tap water is extremely hard (500 ppm dissolved solids) so getting 12-14 years from a gas water heater is considered a long life. We spend a lot of time in a small town in the Sierras. The tap water there has <5 ppm of dissolved solids. I have seen water heaters in town that are over 45 years old. The electric one in our home up there is 29 years old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Don't have one. I have a heat exchanger that transfers heat from the house hot water heating system.

I am also of the opinion that the older hot water heaters were of much superior quality just like older fridges, stoves and deep freezers. You cannot expect the same life out of a new one.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Water heater crapped out a few months after we bought, and the replacement was going fine when we sold 10 years later.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

If I remember right the one in our current house was 17 years old when we replaced it. One of the elements had burned out, which can of course be fixed, but the bottom was showing visible exterior signs of rot 7 years earlier when something else was fixed on it and I didn't feel like having it burst a year later after we got it fixed again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Don't have one. I have a heat exchanger that transfers heat from the house hot water heating system.

I am also of the opinion that the older hot water heaters were of much superior quality just like older fridges, stoves and deep freezers. You cannot expect the same life out of a new one.

Designed obsolescence! It is what it is right now.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

1st gas water heater (builder-installed): 7.5 years (6 yr rated)

2nd gas water heater: 7.5 yrs (10 yr rated)

3rd gas water heater (current): running on 10 years (10 yr rated)

We have hard water, but our mains were replaced in 2019 and the water quality has improved.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

First water heater was 16 years old (propane on well water) and it looked and worked as good as day 1 when we sold the house. Our original builder was a stickler for energy efficiency (save the planet type guy) so I think it was a good one.

Second one is going on 15 years (propane and well) and still looks and functions like brand new.

I will probably sell this house before I need to replace it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

How many people actually pull the maintenance on the heaters at least once a year ?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
How many people actually pull the maintenance on the heaters at least once a year ?

Very few !!!

Mostly maintenance is removing sediment from the bottom (I've had to use coat hangers to break this up, then use shop vac to pull our particles) and to replace the anode rod which is there to sacrificially donate its electrons so the steel fittings (like for water inlet/outlet fittings and heater elements on electric heaters) don't corrode and cause water leakage.

I've even made my own water inlet tube from copper pipe once the original fill tube to the bottom broke off. Yes, the sacrificial anode can be tough to remove if not checked frequently/yearly, but until the water heater leaks externally, most stuff can be fixed.

OK, my hands on: 33 years in Home #1, electric water heater, I have replaced twice myself.

Home #2 new in 2002: propane-fueled water heater has only needed replacement thermistor so the pilot light would operate properly.

Some water heaters have relatively small drain valves, so flushing out sediment can be a pain the butt !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Yes, some of the higher end tanks are stainless steel but I’ve never had one. We always go with old standbys like Bradford White or A. O. Smith
that you can buy at plumbing supply stores.

Avoid buying at big box store as they don’t know shit and are useless at answering any technical questions. We have very hard water here and the tanks last about 15 year maybe 20 but I’m not going to have one burst just to see how many pennies I could save 😀

Another option is instant hot water on demand. Upfront cost is more and it uses more fuel to operate. I have zero experience with those types.

About 20 years ago I bought top of the line at lowes and it had flame lock on the pilot light. What a POS it failed within 9 months and there was a recall. I got the new parts and it failed again within a year. Too much hassle trying to deal with big box so I pulled it and just dumped it off the back of my truck at their front door. No more new fangled technology for me I went back to tried and true builder grade A.O. Smith similar and equivalent to Bradford White.

It’s bad enough when one of these things leaks and it goes unnoticed but you can get lucky and catch it early using a kit that also alerts you via your IPhone.

Would that be nice to make temp adjustments, turn on off and have leak detection?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

If you have 'Hard' water do not get a instant hot water unit,, my buddy has to clean his about every other month Rolling Eyes he sez it's a PITA too Crying or Very sad
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

this house was built in the 50s. It is running its original boiler and the gas hot water heater is from 1978!!! Shocked Shocked

one of the techs when i 1st bought the house commented that it may not be the most economical boiler but it will most likely out live me if i maintain it properly!

I dread the day the hot water heater goes. it is a monster and will most likely flood like a sob. i still need someone to put a pan under it and a pipe to run the water somewhere
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

The Mrs. and I moved into the house in 2004... and it still has the same water heater. No idea how old it is?? Confused

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I'll never know, my insurance company made me change HW tank after 20 years, and the previous one was changed about the same age to upgrade to NG from electric, neither had failed. The well pressure tanks are 47 years old though and so far so good, they say "glass lined" on them and have no bladders, fingers crossed on those since they are in a place that's going to be a pain to get at if they need replacement.

The boiler in my Mom's house is the original from 1957, they don't make em like that anymore.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Quote:
Another option is instant hot water on demand. Upfront cost is more and it uses more fuel to operate. I have zero experience with those types

About half the running cost vs a tank in my experience with 7 girl showers every morning. You need to run vinegar through them annually per the manual, takes about an hour

Linda’s tank last s forever but it doesn’t make hot water
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I bought my house in Oct. 1998. The 5-year water heater was 4 years old. Its 2022 and it is still works like the day i moved in. Its located in the garage, i wrapped it with one of those WH wraps to insulate. Other than that never drained it or touched it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: