Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdorety
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
cdorety wrote:
What is the black wire which comes out of the back of my indicator/fuel gauge?

Isn't that a +12v? I can't remember. Flip that over and it goes to the indicator light bases, right?

Max

I think you are right. +12v

I have replaced the black wire with a red one to keep things color coded with the new harness.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now..... do I wire them to a 'switched' power or to 'always on' power. or does it matter.

Next up is the hazard flasher, then the engine stuff. Then tail lights and I should be done!

Still waiting on a couple parts to arrive.

Thanks again
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

cdorety wrote:
now..... do I wire them to a 'switched' power or to 'always on' power. or does it matter.

All those warning lights are ground switched. Unless you want the oil light on all the time when the engine is off I would go with "switched" power. Follow the diagram.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

cdorety wrote:

I have replaced the black wire with a red one to keep things color coded with the new harness.

My experience with the aircooled VW wiring is
Red= always hot,
Black= switched hot, and
Brown = ground.

If I'm right, and you want it to remain color coded, you should leave it black, because these lights need to be switched hot (Black), or else your gen and oil light will stay on when you turn off your key.
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

ibldrc wrote:
cdorety wrote:

My experience with the aircooled VW wiring is
Red= always hot,
Black= switched hot, and
Brown = ground.

If I'm right, and you want it to remain color coded, you should leave it black, because these lights need to be switched hot (Black), or else your gen and oil light will stay on when you turn off your key.

This is correct.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

http://www.aircoolednut.com/erkson/ttt/engine/gen2alt.htm

OG around 1998
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

I'm running the same style alternator. My problem is getting the light to come on at the gauge. So if the switched wire from the coil goes to one of the terminals on the back of the alternator, should the other terminal have power? Currently mine does not. I know the bulb at the gauge works. In fact the only way I get the light at the gauge to work is when I directly wire it to the coil but only if that black +12v wire on the gauge is disconnected from the fuse panel. Forgive me if i read over some part of how this is supposed to be wired correctly.

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

When everything is wired correctly, when should the warning/gauge light come on?

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

doc73 wrote:
When everything is wired correctly, when should the warning/gauge light come on?

With the key on, and the engine off.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator wiring Reply with quote

Okay I have all wires correctly in place according to this thread. Via a test light I have no power at the L terminal when the S terminal is powered via the coil. Is this an indicator that some thing internally is bad between the S and L terminals?

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: