Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 piece window question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I looked through a bunch of forums and noting was found to answer my question. I’m doing 1 piece windows on my 69 bug. I got the regulators for a 66 as most posts recommended and they’re terrible. While doing more research why wouldn’t you use a 55-64 regulator that just has the crank and gear vs. the later set up and the teeth slip under weight?

I’m probably going to order 1 regulator and try it but I also think I found a Toyota regulator with a low motor so maybe power windows for this one. I guess we will see.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

I can't answer your question about using the older regulators, or using a Toyota power regulator. Possibly the mounting holes are in different locations, and to use the older regulators you would need to make some modifications.
Seriously, if I were you I would reconsider the one piecers. I have them. I do not like them.
When I bought my car off ebay, a previous owner had already attempted the mod. Broken glass in the bottom of the drivers door, gray tinted and scratched glass still in the passenger side. I ordered new glass and window scrapers (bugpack). I went through three sets of window scrapers with no luck. They looked and fit like crap. I eventually went with some other material that looks and fits halfway decent. I can dig up the posts on it if you are still interested in one piece, and after you ruin a couple of sets of scrapers.
If my car had not already been molested by the previous owner, I would not have done it. They already cut out the brackets and stuff.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

Bob, I have a lot of the problems worked out and once it’s all done I’m actually gonna post the whole thing on here. The window kits are terrible and I’ve had to think through a bunch of stuff and make things work. My hang up now is just the regulator. The Toyota one should work with a little adjustments and I would then have power windows. I just saw last night the older regulators seem built better then the newer ones. I just wondered why nobody would use those instead of the ones everyone recommended. Those regulators are weak and is what a lot of people complain about.

Thanks for the response. I’ll try to get this done ASAP maybe what I find out will help you too.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

If you have a 65 thru 76 the regulators are the same, the only difference is that 67 and down use a roll pin to hold the crank on and 68 and up use a screw,

The reason an early regulator won’t work is that you need a regulator with a dual riser as there are fixed window guides to hold the window in place from rocking forward.

Hopefully you didn’t dump your 68 OE units for aftermarket garbage? Look on Samba in the classifieds there are generally some good German units for sale.

The conversion is straight forward after you cut the brace out.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

Hi 16cvs, I got most of my issues worked out. When I bought the kit I also bought new regulators. Well the new regulators are garbage because the gear inside is made out of aluminum. I thought then about just putting power windows in and ordered a kit. It needs a lot of modification to make it work and I just wasn’t going to mess with it. I then remembered I have some original steel window regulators from pre 66 that have the double lift holder. I put it in and it works great. The window scrapers are a little challenging because I’m not using the clips. I found screws and nuts that work. The screw head goes on the metal strip and sits between the metal strip and rubber and I was able to get my hand in and the nuts on the door side. Once I get a door done and it works as it should I’ll put something together for the forum. I’m surprised none of the companies out there actually spent time to put together a good kit.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

I’ve done about a dozen of these conversions and have never liked the outcome, most people that do them want it as cheaply as possible and want to spend the money that it takes to do a clean job.

I think the best thing to do is to have some metal welded on the inside area where the ent assembly was to allow you room to attach scraper a of some sort to.

I agree that someone should make decent kit but I think the cost to develop it would scare of most people. The best quickee remedy I’ve found is the fluffy side of self adhesive Velcro.

Those aftermarket regulators as you know are just plain shit, why they make crap look me that is beyond me. Sounds like you worked it out.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So here is a short tutorial for how I did my 1 piece windows. I decided not to use the clips and found screws and nuts for the out scraper and lag screws and nuts for the inner scraper. The lag screws work well because they have the square base and that sits in the steel insert. The hardest part is getting the nuts started on both sides, your hands will hurt and it’s very challenging. I also had to trim the ends of the scrapers where they meet the window Chanel seal and the inner scraper I needed to cut the lip down because it was very tight and I was having problems with the window going up and down.

As with anything if you are creative and take some time to plan things out it may work. The window is very stable and goes all the way up and all the way down without issues. Earlier I did attempt power windows because I figured the motor wouldn’t have an issue moving the glass. I bought a kit from autoloc but it was a good kit for this as the motor needed to be moved. There is another kit out there that the motor is already in the proper place.

Hope this helps a little more.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

looks nice, I would like more photos. So that is the EMPI scraper pieces? I tried trimming some of the rubber back with a razor blade. Butchered it. After about 3 sets I went with a totally different material. What I have now I saw in a forum post, its the fuzzy stuff up against the glass. Will let water right through, but I waterproofed the heck out of the inner door so it should be OK.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
looks nice, I would like more photos. So that is the EMPI scraper pieces? I tried trimming some of the rubber back with a razor blade. Butchered it. After about 3 sets I went with a totally different material. What I have now I saw in a forum post, its the fuzzy stuff up against the glass. Will let water right through, but I waterproofed the heck out of the inner door so it should be OK.

What’s this “fuzzy stuff” up against the glass that you are referring to? I’m in the process of install a EMPI one piece kit and I would like alternatives to the window scrapers that came with the kit.
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

Bob I’ll see if I can post anymore pictures this weekend. I completely agree with the window rubbers. I should have made a template for where to cut them. I’m going to do that for the passenger side since I haven’t put them in yet. I had to trim a little too because it was to tight with the glass, so I decided to trim the inside lip off the scraper since the outside one is that helps keep the water out.

I wish there was an easy to to make a couple more holes up front and then I could just use the nuts and bolts the whole run. I also looked at maybe plastic push clips but that didn’t work well. It’s difficult trying to get the right finished look at the ends for the scrapers
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window question Reply with quote

See jhickens post on page 2
I researched and bought the material from a hardware place online. I could probably dig it back up if anybody wants it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: