Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my crane set up. The actual hoist is on those rails so it can slide side to side..
The picture is as it was sold to me, I'm rebuilding the headache bar mount so it's cleaner and nicer. Probably other parts along the way but I'm pretty psyched about it.

I might even build outrigger stabilizers that deploy out the treasure boxes. Probably not. But it would be fun to see that.

1st thing is to make a hammock hanger for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:

This is my crane set up. The actual hoist is on those rails so it can slide side to side..
The picture is as it was sold to me, I'm rebuilding the headache bar mount so it's cleaner and nicer. Probably other parts along the way but I'm pretty psyched about it.

I might even build outrigger stabilizers that deploy out the treasure boxes. Probably not. But it would be fun to see that.

1st thing is to make a hammock hanger for it.

That is sweet. Kind of more elaborate than. I was thinking but I like it! I will probably end up parting out my old harbor freight hoist and a hand crank off a shit boat trailer I have. Got keep the zero budget alive. Although if I found one for a couple hundred bucks I would go that route.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Thanks, just hoping to add inspiration to your project.

I thought this setup had the best mounting ideas as far as not bending the bodywork of the truck plus adding the side to side feature really knocked it out of the park.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do but once my truck is mobile again this project is #1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

The flat bed aspect is starting to take shape. Figured out what some of the seams and splices are going to look like. I am going to need to cut up at least one more van and then some chunks off other donors. The metal air-cooled deck lids are HEAVY! They seem way sturdier but the fiberglass ones may due for a majority of the usage. I have plenty of both.

Still needs lot of trimming, fitting and finishing...and then the inner structure...It is turning into a bit more work than planned but way more fun too.

[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

What would happen if you used a cut down rear hatch to make the roof transition and still have a 5 opening window van? Seems like that might be an easier way to make the transition. Just use the back 5 " of a donor and hand it in.

Duncan
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
What would happen if you used a cut down rear hatch to make the roof transition and still have a 5 opening window van? Seems like that might be an easier way to make the transition. Just use the back 5 " of a donor and hand it in.

Duncan

I am pretty committed to this path at this point. That back panel will finish out nicely. Just gonna take some time
[email protected]

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Are you using the extra engine covers for extra storage? That's super neat if so, I think this project is truly awesome.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Are you using the extra engine covers for extra storage? That's super neat if so, I think this project is truly awesome.

Yeah, they are to access the belly storage. I will probably also put a drawer or side access too but that will likely be phase 2.

I am hoping to have it in Asheville this Spring. Gotta keep on pushing along with all the other things.
[email protected]

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Sweet man. Someday, you and I need to meet here, it's actually weird we haven't.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

There is still forward progress...

I got the flatbed part sized up and mounted. Some of the reinforcement is built underneath the flatbed.

I need more donor sheet metal so tonight I will trim the floor out of donor van #7. Still lots to do. It is still fun although the overwhelming feeling can take over at moments. Hoping to finish it up by April 1st. We'll see how it goes. I would ask for help but I really have no plan and no idea what I am doing. It is sort of like Frisbee with scrap metal but a lot more work.

[email protected]

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Donor carcass #7 may have been sitting a while.

I got this as a hunk of steel 5 years ago. I sold a bunch. Of sheet metal off of it already. This will likely be the final harvest.

[email protected]

whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

This is bada$$,

I love the self tappers,

Screw Clecos!
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
This is bada$$,

I love the self tappers,

Screw Clecos!

Yeah man, this project is not worthy of clecos. Plus I would need a bunch of them!! I bet I have 100 screws holding it together now!
[email protected]

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Yeah...sort of I guess. My inspiration was to have a cheap crappy pick up truck. I think I am winning there...lol
[email protected]

Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
joetiger wrote:
Make me one next!

You can probably have this one when I burn out on it two months. Rolling Eyes

Well I am 3 months in. Just got a second wind and going to move on to drivers side. Fitting in all together with tek screws and big gaping holes is kinda easy. The finish pieces and patches will take time. I also need to build the structure of the flatbed. And then weld it all up... : Rolling Eyes

I think it is going to be rad when it is done so I am just going to keep on going.
[email protected]

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Ahhh, an H Van! I sold mine in'83 - and still regret it...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

But what about the Splitzgauer??
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

It's on the Splitzite--not Vanagon forum.

But this is something I've often wondered about. If you want a Syncro Vanagon, why not just start with a 4WD something and plop the body on. Yeah, yeah, I get the pesky too tall engine thing, but................. A Previa??

Not a Previa. Maybe clean up the nose a tad.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541609

A better front end treatment.

Duncan
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Syncro Flatbed truck Reply with quote

pjn_wyo wrote:
But what about the Splitzgauer??

It has morphed into a different project at this point. It needs lots of custom metal work and fabrication with a focused desire to make it nice and right. I don't have time or mindspace for that.

This flatbed is second shift junk conglomeration without much thought or desire on the finished product being nice. In other words in will likely be a hoopty and that is ok.
[email protected]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: