Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

FEP ? PTFE ? Buna-N ?
May be it's more complex with layers of different materials.
Is there a commercial name ?
Where and who to ask that has the know how in this technology ?
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you going this route again? Does the original diaphragm not have some plate riveted to it anyway?
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding is that viton is the only gas proof material, and there might be some synthetic reinforcement imbedded into the rubber material. riveting that metal plate couldnt be easy, but i am beginning to believe it is best to learn how to improvise- or else find a company that already does this and arrange a small production run. beats the hell out of 160 for a new pump
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think neoprene is also a safe bet... Viton has almost the consistency of nylon. You couldnt make a diaphragm with that stuff.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
I think neoprene is also a safe bet... Viton has almost the consistency of nylon. You couldnt make a diaphragm with that stuff.

It's good for push rod tube o-rings. What am I missing?

A lot of engine rubber seals are made from nitrile. If you look at most fuel German hoses they will be marked NBR (which is also called nitrile, Buna N). I'd use that.

I'd like to see how you make out on this project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
Why are you going this route again? Does the original diaphragm not have some plate riveted to it anyway?

Because there is no repair kit for the 1800's pump.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... my OG pump is rebuildable as well... I dont like the sealed ones.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Anyone have a clue on the following kit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121215514863?hash=item1c3901f8ef:g:k9QAAOSwOnVgT9F7

States...

"Now SUPPLIED WITH Radke Services Efuel Safe / Alcohol Resistant, Heavy Duty Extended Life Replacement Accelerator Pump Diaphragm for Weber 40-44 &48 IDF carburetors as well as EMPI HPMX 40&44's.

Both Early spring loaded and Late included.

Not just an excellent replacement for any regular grade of gasoline, This will stand up to the various ethanol mix fuels around the country as well as High Octane race fuels 110 + ."
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

ask Bill at Sparxwerks where he buys his kits. His webpage says "OEM Effbe rebuild kits."
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Just ship it up Bill. It’s better to support someone doing this for others, even when you can do it, so that he is there for those who can’t.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

To the original question from about a century ago.....yes....Viton (but which viton?) is one of the best for gasoline and Buna-N is second best (and which formulation of Buna-N).

In reality any of the fluoroinated rubbers will do well with gasoline. Very little else will.....and Neoprene will not work with gasoline.

With the addition of ethanol (which is said by SOME not a problem with viton).....and by other sources under the term ethyl alcohol.....to not be good for viton....and a few other chemicals like toluene which is poor for viton....diaphragm materials like this are typically multi-layer to increase burn though time across a wider range of fuels.

Its a gamble these days. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Yes, Bill at Sparxfarts is your guy. Not only does his work exemplify the best quality available but his communication is outstanding and he ships fast. I’ve dealt with him many times and he is a good guy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice words everyone. Very Happy

Yes, I only install brand new Ethanol rated Effbe diaphragms on the dome top and square top type 1,2,3 and 4 fuel pumps.

I only rebuild the original Pierburg diaphragm assemblies after not being satisfied with any of the current reproduction fuel pump kits.

Effbe is the original diaphragm material supplier to Pierburg. They are still the best diaphragm material manufacturer today.

In the past few years, I rebuilt two different customers square top fuel pumps that were the original pumps on their 50 year old VW's. Both were the original owners of the VW's. Both fuel pumps still worked. They only had them rebuilt because they felt they got their money's worth after 50 years. Pretty impressive part for an economy car.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

OP is in France
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

I won’t hold that against him
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

I am using one of these .. built in Europe by SSP.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/113127025f-fuel-pump-for-100mm-pushrod-alternator-type.html

I checked the pressure- its 3.5psi.

It helps I live in the UK.

It is somewhat too tall for a progressive carburettor intake manifold - I had to Dremel away the manifold and then re-seal it with a JB weld/fibre glass cloth composite structure. (cleaned around hole, smeared JB Weld, put layer of epoxy compatible woven fibre glass cloth on top, more JB Weld and then a piece of plastic bag on top, put fuel pump in place ... ) Protrudes maybe 1/16" into airway, and moulded perfectly round pump top..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

The diaphragms available for purchase?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West is making the Effbe diaphragm kits. You can see Effbe in one of the pictures in their ads.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198553
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111198555
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113127141WW
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
OP is in France

The "OP" posted this 16 years ago. Maybe he's moved since then Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the material used in fuel pump diaphragm ? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
SGKent wrote:
OP is in France

The "OP" posted this 16 years ago. Maybe he's moved since then Wink

Effbe is in France.

https://www.effbe-diaphragm.com/en/contact/
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: