Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

So I have been pulling the '69 Beetle back to nearly road ready, sorting through some wiring issues which are to be expected after a long nap.

Is there a "Common Ground" for the electrical system besides the battery ground strap...?

I have removed all the fuses and cleaned the contacts on the fuse block and replaced all the fuses with new. I went through E.v.e.r.y. connector on the back side of the fuse block, cleaned, used Deoxit D5 Cleaner, lightly wired brushed the contacts etc. Put the wire connectors back on.

Now, what happens for example is:
The lights all work although I have not seen the brake lights illuminate or reverse lights. That last thing is not a show stopper but this next thing is.

The directionals work UNTIL I pull the lights on and then the front ones do not. The front running lights seem brighter than they should be with the light switch pulled out. And again, with the lights out, the directionals work fine, both front and rear.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Any idea what is going on here...? Thanks for any advice here.

Best,
Rob

Old Blue...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuse block...

Fuse block connector bar... this is "Before" and the rats nest is really not as bad as it looks. The wiring actually cleaned up well.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

radguzzi wrote:
The directionals work UNTIL I pull the lights on and then the front ones do not. The front running lights seem brighter than they should be with the light switch pulled out. And again, with the lights out, the directionals work fine, both front and rear.

I fixed what sounds like the same issue on a friend's CJ-7 last year. The wires at the front turn signals were reversed so that the brighter element comes on with the running lights, and the dimmer element was being used by the turn signals. If you were to look very closely with the signal and running lights on, you'll find the dim element is in fact flashing, you just can't hardly see it since the bright element overpowers it.
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
radguzzi wrote:

I fixed what sounds like the same issue on a friend's CJ-7 last year. The wires at the front turn signals were reversed so that the brighter element comes on with the running lights, and the dimmer element was being used by the turn signals. If you were to look very closely with the signal and running lights on, you'll find the dim element is in fact flashing, you just can't hardly see it since the bright element overpowers it.

Ahh, well of course. That must be the problem. Wonder why I dd not think of that...? Embarassed

I'll take a peek first thing in the morning.

Thanks mukluk.
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

@mukluk,
Bingo..!

I started with the left side and the switch worked, lights AND directionals however, in pulling the rubber boot back to have a look-see I pulled two of the three connectors off and when I first put it all back I kept blowing a fuse... what the...?

Well I had inadvertently attached the ground on one of the lighting lugs. Doh...! Razz

When I figured that part out, we were good to go.

I appreciate the feedback.

========

On a slightly different note, is there a preference on which type of main ground strap to use...?

The negative side battery strap is a braided wire strap and one spot on it is a little green...

Is the braided type good or should I go with a coated copper strap...?

Thanks,
Rob
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

The braided strap is fine.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

The green is from corrosion. Take the strap out of the car, and put it in a bucket with a mixture of baking soda and water. This will neutralize the acid. Let it sit for an hour or so. them rinse with water and inspect it. If it looks structurally sound, you are good to go.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
The green is from corrosion. Take the strap out of the car, and put it in a bucket with a mixture of baking soda and water. This will neutralize the acid. Let it sit for an hour or so. them rinse with water and inspect it. If it looks structurally sound, you are good to go.

That's also what I would do.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Well I will do that... the strap looks fine, not frayed etc.
thanks.

mukluk helped with a sanity check on the directionals and I am all good there.

Next issue.

Brake lights, when I step on the brake pedal the fuse immediately blows. Oddly enough the fuse that goes is the #2 (second from the left)

According to the VW Official Service Manual that fuses position is for the wipers...
There is no mention as to which fuse is for the brake lights. The next logical thing is a short SOMEWHERE but where to start...!

I have started with the brake light switch, disconnected it and the fuse still blows immediately.

Where to go next..?

Edit:

The Manual also states that between the years of 1966 - 1969, both 8 amp and 16 amp fuses were used.

Could this be a fuse amperage issue...? Which fuses Should be 16 amp...?

Thanks,
Rob
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

In addition to the battery ground strap, there is a similar braided strap between the nose cone of the transaxle and the body of the car. When that is resistant, ground will find some other way to make it back to the body. In a Vanagon I found a melted emergency brake cable that had somehow been roped into service.

That is a really nice Bug. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

radguzzi wrote:

Brake lights, when I step on the brake pedal the fuse immediately blows. Oddly enough the fuse that goes is the #2 (second from the left)

According to the VW Official Service Manual that fuses position is for the wipers...
There is no mention as to which fuse is for the brake lights. The next logical thing is a short SOMEWHERE but where to start...!

I have started with the brake light switch, disconnected it and the fuse still blows immediately.

Where to go next..?

Edit:

The Manual also states that between the years of 1966 - 1969, both 8 amp and 16 amp fuses were used.

Could this be a fuse amperage issue...? Which fuses Should be 16 amp...?

Thanks,
Rob

The most likely answer as to why fuse 2 blows when you apply the brakes is the brake light circuit wire has been erroneously attached to the output of fuse 2 instead of fuse 1 where it should be. When looking at the fuse block from within the trunk, see where a black and red striped wire is connected -- that is the brake circuit power wire. Since the fuse doesn't blow until after you apply the brakes that tells us that you have a short to ground after the brake light switches. I would start by looking at the tail lamp assemblies to see if the brake circuit wire terminals are shorted to ground, and do the same for the wires at the brake light switches. Check also that you don't have a similar ground connected to bulb terminal situation at the rear if your particualr '69 has these.

All of the fuses in a '69 Beetle should be 8 amp.

radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
In addition to the battery ground strap, there is a similar braided strap between the nose cone of the transaxle and the body of the car. When that is resistant, ground will find some other way to make it back to the body. In a Vanagon I found a melted emergency brake cable that had somehow been roped into service.

That is a really nice Bug. Cool

Excellent. I will go look for that second ground strap at the transaxle as well.
And Thanks, it is a driver, We have owned the VW since 1993... Kid. You. Not.

Hoping to get her back on the road in the Spring.

This shot was taken a couple of years back when I had installed the dropped front axle and disc brakes up front...

radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

The most likely answer as to why fuse 2 blows when you apply the brakes is the brake light circuit wire has been erroneously attached to the output of fuse 2 instead of fuse 1 where it should be. When looking at the fuse block from within the trunk, see where a black and red striped wire is connected -- that is the brake circuit power wire. Since the fuse doesn't blow until after you apply the brakes that tells us that you have a short to ground after the brake light switches. I would start by looking at the tail lamp assemblies to see if the brake circuit wire terminals are shorted to ground, and do the same for the wires at the brake light switches. Check also that you don't have a similar ground connected to bulb terminal situation at the rear if your particualr '69 has these.

All of the fuses in a '69 Beetle should be 8 amp.

Good to know that all fuses are 8's.

Well the black/red does not actually connect to the fuse block, a black wire from the same loom, I believe from the brake light switch does connect to #2 blade.
You can see that the black/red wire goes from the switch circuit over to a connector block and continues onto another loom, I presume the main that goes aft. Not certain.

I also spent a little more quality time with the tech manual and discovered that I "Should" have two (2) brake light switches...? Great. I cannot get me noggin up into the area without lifting the car higher to peek around; however, I do see two wire boots in the area. One with two female to blade connectors was connected to a switch and another with what looks like a single round connector that was not hooked to anything.

The left/rear light does not have a separate ground to the frame of the light holders, I'll check on the right in the AM. Makes me wonder also as I find two brown ground wires on the right side...

I have that first schematic but not that second one, good info there.

So, one issue at a time, we'll get it. I actually had my Wife helping today while we were figuring out that directional issue.

I am not looking forward to chasing a short but it may have to be done... Sad

Thanks much,
Rob

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

My 69 was wired the same way from the factory at the fuse block- solid black wire coming off #2 fuse going to the brake switches. I think VW factory may have gotten ahead of themselves a bit since this is correct for 1970.

The 69 model year originally used a 3-switch master cylinder--two of those switches were for the dual-circuit brake system, and the 3rd switch controlled the dash warning light. If you look at the 69 wiring diagram that mukluk posted above, you'll see three switches- J3 were the dual-circuit brake light switches and J6 was the dash warning light switch. You'll also notice that each of these switches has two prongs.
However, VW figured out that they didn't need that 3rd dash warning light switch- they could simply use two 3-prong switches instead of three 2-prong switches and still achieve the same result, so starting with 1970 model year they started using a master cylinder with only two switches, and each of the three wires (black, black/red, and red) simply "splits" and goes to each switch. See this Speedy Jim diagram for a visual reference:

http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/2brake.gif

In this configuration, the solid black wire comes off fuse #2, and carries power from fuse block down to the switches. The black/red wire carries power out back up into the trunk, through a connector, and through the main harness back to the brake lights. And the solid red wire carries power back up into the trunk, through another connector, and up to the dash-mounted brake warning light. See 1970 diagram here (note only two brake switches marked "F" in the diagram):

So everything you show in your photo above appears to be correct.

Since you say your wiring loom that connects to the switches only has two prongs, it sounds like you still have the original 69 wiring. My guess is your master cylinder was replaced at some point and you now have two 3-prong brake switches that someone just didn't connect together (and the loom hanging loose is probably the old loom that went to that 3rd brake warning light switch no longer used in your replacement master cylinder.) If this is the case, I bet your dash warning light doesn't work...?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

sb001

I will need to raise the car in the morning to look up into the area where the switches are. I know one is a dual prong and that is all I can see right now.
There are two sets of wire connectors that are near the left/front of the car near the only switch that I can positively ID.

The fellow that installed the new dropped front axle may have omitted one or, as you mention, the master may have been changed, I do not know... yet.

Also, if the dash warning light that you are speaking of is the little red push button in the top/middle of the dash, yes, that does work.

So, it sounds as if the issue and resolve is dependent on the number of switches and subsequent leads to them.

Baby steps to getting this rig back on the road...

Back soon.
Thanks,
Rob
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

My 69 has grounds and connection blocks behind the tarboards on both sides in the engine compartment. My rubber grommet in the pass through hole is gone and lots of road dust has made quite a layer of dirt back there. I can't see how the ground back there wouldn't be corroded.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Dan the workingstiff wrote:
My 69 has grounds and connection blocks behind the tarboards on both sides in the engine compartment. My rubber grommet in the pass through hole is gone and lots of road dust has made quite a layer of dirt back there. I can't see how the ground back there wouldn't be corroded.

This car has grounds in the engine compartment as well, one on the left side, two on the right side.
I pulled them off and wire brushed the lugs and connectors, cleaned with Deoxit.

We had snow ta-day so that was my hobby for about six hours, moving the stuff. Sad

I will jack up the car and set the wheels in stands so that I can get under it to check on the brake light switches.

Is it ok to raise the car by jacking on the engine out back...? Using a 2x6 as a buffer between the jack and engine...?

Thanks,
Rob
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

radguzzi wrote:

Is it ok to raise the car by jacking on the engine out back...? Using a 2x6 as a buffer between the jack and engine...?

Thanks,
Rob

No!

Lift it underneath the frame/pan junction, where the pan splits off into the "Y" to run the frame horns to the transaxle.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Raising the car with the jack under the engine can damage the rear transaxle mounts, and raising the car with the jack under the transaxle can damage the front transaxle mount or possibly even break the transaxle nose cone.

The best location to jack the rear of the car as noted above is at the rear of the tunnel where it splits into the two frame horns, just make sure you don't also snag the front trans mount with your block of wood. If you only need to jack up one side of the rear, place the jack under the rear torsion housing.
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

Ok, copy all on the jacking point.
Thanks,
Rob

=================

So, one of those good news/bad news deals...

I just now found a few minutes to investigate the brake light switches. Wicked cold day here with fresh snow... Sad

I found two dual connector switches on the master cylinder and one extra wire with a boot with a taped-up connector of some type, I did not remove the tape to see what type of connector it is.

However, after cleaning the switch posts and the female connectors and putting them back onto the switches and then stepping on the brake pedal, no blown fuse...! Yay. Very Happy

That alone is a win so I will go through and check/replace bulbs and look for corroded grounds out back to see why the brake lights do not illuminate.

One thing that bugs me is that extra wire up front. I'll take the time to unwrap it and check on the color.

More later,
Thanks all.
Rob
radbug69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring issues... bringing back a long sleeping '69 Beetle. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

mukluk,
Do you know of an updated listing for bulbs...? I am going to pick up a few for testing the brake lights even though I fear that the issue there is not actually the bulbs.

I am wondering if 1034 has turned into the more current 1157 bulb...?

Anyway, I need the proper bulbs for the speedometer / instrument lights also.

Thanks,
Rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: